PENN ST. PRE GAME THREAD

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite part about the Minny game was that Johnson was 3-10 at one point and he kept shooting!!! 

Ended up hitting 7 of his last 11. He should shoot no less than 14 shots a night.. HE HAS TO BE ASSERTIVE. His misses created off rebounding opportunities for us, which created other outlets for offense. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Unpopular or not, I'm going to say that the points about lack of effort, to the extent intended to be directed at Rob, are just not justified. He's always our best defender, I don't see him not playing hard on either end, but he has been really inconsistent on the offensive end, he doesn't always attack as much as he should, and his low key demeanor gets called out as seeming to indicate he doesn't care (which is entirely subjective). Do think having a more athletic, mobile and scoring forward playing along with Morgan will help open the floor for him, and hope to see him driving more again as well as shooting. He's very good driving to the rim, but not as good creating his own shot. Do think PSU will have scouted the heck out of the Minn game though, and even if Smith plays well, they're going to have to make adjustments in getting those looks. I'm interested to see how that goes in this game and going forward.

I would say lack of focus and at times energy, but not lack of effort. As you said, he's been the best and most consistent perimeter defender on the team which requires lots effort.

He has at times, especially with his turnovers and some other things, seemed completely not focused and locked in. I also said energy because he's a 4-year senior starter on a team that hasn't always played hard or with energy, and while I don't expect him to be the yelling, mugging for the camera type, as a leader his lack of energy has maybe trickled down. Sometimes as the leader you need to step outside your comfort zone. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Unpopular or not, I'm going to say that the points about lack of effort, to the extent intended to be directed at Rob, are just not justified. He's always our best defender, I don't see him not playing hard on either end, but he has been really inconsistent on the offensive end, he doesn't always attack as much as he should, and his low key demeanor gets called out as seeming to indicate he doesn't care (which is entirely subjective). Do think having a more athletic, mobile and scoring forward playing along with Morgan will help open the floor for him, and hope to see him driving more again as well as shooting. He's very good driving to the rim, but not as good creating his own shot. Do think PSU will have scouted the heck out of the Minn game though, and even if Smith plays well, they're going to have to make adjustments in getting those looks. I'm interested to see how that goes in this game and going forward.

I think alot of this goes back to the game last year toward the end of the season where he just jogged after a kid who had made a steal and it was from that point forward that Rob just didn't look like the Rob we had seen the previous 2 years.  So when he is perceived or actually not giving 100%, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because I think this is what people remember.  But i can guarantee that every player at one point or another isn't giving all they got.  Sometimes you get down, or you're losing by 20 and you just give up, and sometimes you're dead freaking tired and just can give it all again.

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's fine that you wouldn't, but you said others shouldn't.  Why shouldn't a kid that gives poor effort get booed? 

Grader school or High School.  Yeah i agree with you shouldn't boo a team or its players.  But College is a different story.  They chose to go play for a specific school, are being compensated in a way and are adults.  If you don't put forth the effort, the fan should let the coach and players know.  If they are giving it their all and just don't win, then i don't think you can blame the players.

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's fine that you wouldn't, but you said others shouldn't.  Why shouldn't a kid that gives poor effort get booed? 

Because it's a game and they are kids. Quite honestly, I don't think there are many fans that have the ability to determine whether or not someone is giving 100%... there are fans every game that still yell for over the back to be called a foul. Yeah, my opinion is you shouldn't boo college kids. That's not going to change. 

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Grader school or High School.  Yeah i agree with you shouldn't boo a team or its players.  But College is a different story.  They chose to go play for a specific school, are being compensated in a way and are adults.  If you don't put forth the effort, the fan should let the coach and players know.  If they are giving it their all and just don't win, then i don't think you can blame the players.

Lol do some people boo HS and grade school kids? 

48 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Because it's a game and they are kids. Quite honestly, I don't think there are many fans that have the ability to determine whether or not someone is giving 100%... there are fans every game that still yell for over the back to be called a foul. Yeah, my opinion is you shouldn't boo college kids. That's not going to change. 

They aren't kids for one. They are given a free education and people pay a lot of money to watch them play a game. Why isn't it reasonable to expect them to come out engaged and giving good effort as a minimum?

Archived