2024 C Derik Queen Commits to Maryland

OGIUAndy

15 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

https://x.com/imsradioshow/status/1722411267728847268?s=46&t=wuW4V7JUATf7-ZJpOdcx9A

Maryland 247 people talking about Queen at the very end of the show. For those who want the footnotes (it was a rough listen haha) basically they said if they had to make a prediction they still think Queen to Maryland based on the amount of time they’ve recruited him and that him being the only recruit left in the 24 class they won’t lose him to NIL offers. 

They did say if Queen doesn’t sign during the early signing period he’s not coming to Maryland though. I will also say they didn’t sound extremely confident and at times we’re just making hypothetical scenarios up to keep the convo going.  

As in... they think they'll lose the recruitment at that point? 

Surely they don't mean.... we're too good for DQ if he doesn't pick us in the fall. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

As in... they think they'll lose the recruitment at that point? 

Surely they don't mean.... we're too good for DQ if he doesn't pick us in the fall. 

As someone mentioned earlier, Willard was apparently “surprised” Queen didn’t announce yesterday (according to Maryland 247). On the radio show they mentioned they were a little surprised he didn’t announce after that OV to Maryland as well a couple weeks ago. 

I think their logic is that Maryland has put in enough time/effort and has enough NIL $ that it should be enough to secure his commitment. So if he backs off his early signing period commitment, they feel it means he’s not sold on Maryland and may never be. I personally think that’s silly since he’s their only target for 2024 so he’s not going to be recruited over and I’m sure Maryland will wait this out until the very end. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Seems plausible that he wouldn't want to play alongside Ware, so he wants to see if Ware looks NBA bound. Also might like some reassurance that Woodson can develop bigs who can't jump through the roof.

He would be able to play alongside Ware easier than he could Reese at Maryland so I highly doubt that is part of the thought process. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He would be able to play alongside Ware easier than he could Reese at Maryland so I highly doubt that is part of the thought process. 

I'd say if Ware consistently plays like the other day he is 100% gone.  That leaves finding minutes against a Jr Reneau and sr Sparks.  Neither have proven to be able to stay on the floor for really long stretches, so gotta think if there are 30 available mins for the taking(25 Malik, 25 Sparks), they should be all his.  If he's up to the task as a frosh.  Also pending portal add or late spring add of front court depth.  

• Like 1

Granted, I've never been on a team at a high level basketball academy. But it feels unusual for Queen's mom to fly down from Baltimore for a day of significance only to his teammates. It was a big deal, and there's a whole video on Montverde's website, but Derik isn't in it. Now most guys have a whole posse of friends and family come down for their announcement, but maybe mom was enough? Just a guess, but I wonder if we have an answer sooner than later.

I'm remembering when Trayce signed his NIL before making his announcement, and then it was a whole thing that the staff could already speak to. Queen feels like a kid who might want to do something similar, with a sneaky reveal that's already done and over.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This makes sense to me in terms of Queen evaluating Indiana. Not sure on the other schools. 

But if I'm Queen and I'm considering IU, I want to know who out of Ware, Reneau and Sparks is leaving or coming back next year. 

Why....if anyone thinks any of the 3 are ready for the NBA, they know nothing about basketball. All 3 will be back unless they hit the portal. 2 all ready have.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Why....if anyone thinks any of the 3 are ready for the NBA, they know nothing about basketball. All 3 will be back unless they hit the portal. 2 all ready have.

What!!! The NBA doesn’t care if they are ready. Only fans and critics think kids should come back. I bet one of the three(Ware) will be a lotto. To many intangibles and upside with him. I bet if MM projects in the first round(which he does) he’s gone too. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Huh? Ware is widely projected as a lottery pick. I don't think Reneau is NBA ready, but worse players have tested the waters and ultimately declared. 

I dont think Sparks is going anywhere, but if all three do end up coming back, then I doubt Queen comes here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

you have been recruited for 3 years now..wined and dined, 1000's of dollars spent on you. pick  a damn school, not that hard.

I said something very similar to a lady friend once.

She picked.

Haven't talked to her in a long time.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4