IU set to hire Walt Bell as offensive coordinator.

IU247

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ole Miss is a top 10 team, Tex AM and Arkansas both top 25. They have 4 ranked teams, East has 3. 

Plus MSST and LSU. All bowl eligible teams. And Auburn who was a top 25 team, easily, with Nix.  I would still say the SECW by quite a bit. 

Traditionally I would agree, but not this year. We'll agree to disagree.   Don't have time to post more this morning. 

Just like everyone else commenting, I have no clue whether this hire will end up being a good one or not. 

With that said, the idea that this guy is a failure or that failure follows him is absolutely absurd. Bell is in what, his mid-to-late 30's and has been the OC at Arkansas St, Maryland and Florida St., as well as being a D1 head coach?

We should all hope to fail that well!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, htownbound said:

If failure follows Bell wherever he goes, why should we not expect the same? Allen relies on “who do I know?” so much more than “who is best”? As has been the case with more of his hires. Allen may know what’s on the line, but that has never stopped him from staying inside the box. 

I will follow up your comment about recruiting with this: It doesn’t matter who you recruit if coaching stinks. Coaching beats talent 9 times out of 10 at the college level, and you can see that in the regression of all of our QBs this year. A lot of good habits / mechanics with DeBoer carried over from 2019 into the 2020 season, but those habits started to disappear towards the Wisconsin game at the end. It was tough to realize at first, but it became clear over the course of this season that there was a downward trend in play. Penix playing bad was one thing, but all QBs playing bad is entirely another. These poor kids couldn’t even make proper reads at the line or work through pass progressions. That’s not on them, especially in McCulley’s case, as he is an incredibly talented QB. That’s all on Sheridan. A good OC can fix them like DeBoer fixed Ramsey. 

Unfortunately, the guy to fix them is a man with a terrible track record. 

So Saban’s “coaching” is the reason why Alabama is good every year? Coaching is important but getting the talent is way more important, hence why when a team like IU loses guys to injuries they’re dead in the water. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, htownbound said:

If failure follows Bell wherever he goes, why should we not expect the same? Allen relies on “who do I know?” so much more than “who is best”? As has been the case with more of his hires. Allen may know what’s on the line, but that has never stopped him from staying inside the box. 

I will follow up your comment about recruiting with this: It doesn’t matter who you recruit if coaching stinks. Coaching beats talent 9 times out of 10 at the college level, and you can see that in the regression of all of our QBs this year. A lot of good habits / mechanics with DeBoer carried over from 2019 into the 2020 season, but those habits started to disappear towards the Wisconsin game at the end. It was tough to realize at first, but it became clear over the course of this season that there was a downward trend in play. Penix playing bad was one thing, but all QBs playing bad is entirely another. These poor kids couldn’t even make proper reads at the line or work through pass progressions. That’s not on them, especially in McCulley’s case, as he is an incredibly talented QB. That’s all on Sheridan. A good OC can fix them like DeBoer fixed Ramsey. 

Unfortunately, the guy to fix them is a man with a terrible track record. 

what? No. Not even close. How do you even calculate that? 

What habits at the end of the UW game are you talking about? 

McCullough was inside his box? Deboer? I had no idea Aaron Wellman or David Ballou were inside his box. 

Please, you've enlightened us with your opinions for two days, please tell us more. 

You do understand that connections run the world right? You also have to "fit". The WKU OC stuff was silly, we aren't going to play offense like that because it isn't sustainable in the B1G. As I've mentioned, we need to be a Kansas State, sure you're going to throw it plenty, but what you do has to revolve around innovative ways to run the football and complete simple passes while giving your athletes an opportunity a chance to be YAC monsters. 

29 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

So Saban’s “coaching” is the reason why Alabama is good every year? Coaching is important but getting the talent is way more important, hence why when a team like IU loses guys to injuries they’re dead in the water. 

Yep as great a coach as Saban is there is no way he has the championships he does without being stacked three deep with 4 and 5 star players.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 3

I know we all wanted a big splash about a new OC. For whatever reason IU and Coach Allen are staying low key about it, I trust Coach Allen. All I know is Coach Allen and Coach Bell are out recruiting hard. I also realize IU’s interest in former Oregon QB commit isn’t new news, but a commit sure would be nice for Bell and Allen coming out of the gate. 
A68D32F1-61BC-43E0-A70C-0C6BC24BB41B.thumb.png.ac6ad18f1122d9f759fc194ca5fd8f7a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I know we all wanted a big splash about a new OC. For whatever reason IU and Coach Allen are staying low key about it, I trust Coach Allen. All I know is Coach Allen and Coach Bell are out recruiting hard. I also realize IU’s interest in former Oregon QB commit isn’t new news, but a commit sure would be nice for Bell and Allen coming out of the gate. 
A68D32F1-61BC-43E0-A70C-0C6BC24BB41B.thumb.png.ac6ad18f1122d9f759fc194ca5fd8f7a.png

Would you just download the Twitter app 🤣

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

I won't hold my breath on a top 15 qb recruit coming to IU. He has ties to both Auburn and Alabama in his family...and obviously was recruited by Cristobal and could go to Miami. But yes...good to see them out on the trail!

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Just like everyone else commenting, I have no clue whether this hire will end up being a good one or not. 

With that said, the idea that this guy is a failure or that failure follows him is absolutely absurd. Bell is in what, his mid-to-late 30's and has been the OC at Arkansas St, Maryland and Florida St., as well as being a D1 head coach?

We should all hope to fail that well!

I don’t know how many times I have to say this. We have 8 straight years of data with him at HC or OC dating back to Arkansas st and his numbers have never been good. He cannot run an efficient offense, and he never has. Let me say the word again: Efficiency. Efficiency. Efficiency. 

If your offense is not efficient, you will not win games. Period. 

I’ve posted his efficiency numbers several times, but no one wants to use that as a future indicator of success even though it has DICTATED *most* of his coaching moves. Maryland - bad O - fired. FSU / Taggart - bad O - fired. UMASS - bad O - fired. How has failure not followed him? Some guys are the lucky sperm that have moderate success at one coaching job and can ride that to bigger names their entire career - aka Walt Bell. 

And for you numbskulls out there : COACHING BEATS TALENT 9 TIMES OUTTA 10. Even using Alabama, despite the terrible comparison point that it is: do you think the top talent isn’t coming to Bama if Saban isn’t a good coach? Even when they didn’t have talent in his early years at Bama, he still out coached everyone in the SEC west to make that team what it is today!! Coaching is what makes the Baylor the cyclical team that it is. Does talent help?! Absolutely! But the talent will go nowhere further if you have a Sheridan there to coach that talent for 4 years. 

Edited by htownbound

9 minutes ago, htownbound said:

I don’t know how many times I have to say this. We have 8 straight years of data with him at HC or OC dating back to Arkansas st and his numbers have never been good. He cannot run an efficient offense, and he never has. Let me say the word again: Efficiency. Efficiency. Efficiency. 

I’ve posted his efficiency numbers several times, but no one wants to use that as a future indicator of success even though it has DICTATED *most* of his coaching moves. Maryland - bad O - fired. FSU / Taggart - bad O - fired. UMASS - bad O - fired. How has failure not followed him? Some guys are the lucky sperm that have moderate success at one coaching job and can ride that to bigger names their entire career - aka Walt Bell. 

And for you numbskulls out there : COACHING BEATS TALENT 9 TIMES OUTTA 10. Even using Alabama, despite the terrible comparison point that it is: do you think the top talent isn’t coming to Bama if Saban isn’t a good coach? Even when they didn’t have talent in his early years at Bama, he still out coached everyone in the SEC west to make that team what it is today!! Coaching is what makes the Baylor the cyclical team that it is. Does talent help?! Absolutely! But the talent will go nowhere further if you a Sheridan there to coach that talent for 4 years. 

So what are you going to do about it?

• Haha 1

And for you numbskulls out there : COACHING BEATS TALENT 9 TIMES OUTTA 10. Even using Alabama, despite the terrible comparison point that it is: do you think the top talent isn’t coming to Bama if Saban isn’t a good coach? Even when they didn’t have talent in his early years at Bama, he still out coached everyone in the SEC west to make that team what it is today!! Coaching is what makes the Baylor the cyclical team that it is. Does talent help?! Absolutely! But the talent will go nowhere further if you a Sheridan there to coach that talent for 4 years. 

I don't know much about the new hire but that last paragraph I need to address. I will say Coach Knight is one of the greatest coaches period of all time and he has said many times its not about the x's and O's its the Jonny's and Joe's that make 1 a good coach.  He also said that when his X's were bigger and better than the other team's O's they seemed to win a lot more. Players make a good coach great and a good coach look terrible when they have no players. It truly takes both. For me I will take talent and no coach over great coach and no talent. Only so much juice can you squeeze from a small lemon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Let me give you a great example where everyone tried to blame the players for poor play: IUBB. 

People were starting to say that we didn’t have any talent, or that we didn’t have any shooters on the team. That we were unathletic. That we needed to keep recruiting better kids. But the thing is: you don’t have three 5-star, five 4-star, and five 3-star kids all under Archie’s tenure, (some of whom were deemed to be sharp shooters in high school), suddenly turn to garbage. That was all coaching. Now with the right coaching hire in Woodson - all shooting numbers are starting to climb again. Including free throw % (FINALLY) and 3 point%. 

The crazy part about the Woodson hire? That there were ACTUALLY ADVANCED STATISTICS to prove that he was going to be a good head coach, including the percentage improvements that almost all NBA All stars he coached made while he was an assistant on that all star’s team. 

Now lets translate to IU Football. We currently have the most talent on the team that we have ever had, and the greatest incoming class that we have ever had. We saw what an incompetent coach can do with a talented IU team this year, and now everyone wants to vote in the same type of person to manage that talent?? Absolutely mind numbing to me.

Edited by htownbound

10 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

So what are you going to do about it?

I’ve called the athletic office. I’ve emailed the athletic office. I am trying to get others to do the same. The prior 2 years were the best two for IU football in the past 25 years, and it took us 10 years from Wilson -> Allen to get there. I’m not waiting another 10 years for this program to be fixed because we gave an unproven guy “a chance” and had to clean house.

Edited by htownbound
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't know much about the new hire but that last paragraph I need to address. I will say Coach Knight is one of the greatest coaches period of all time and he has said many times its not about the x's and O's its the Jonny's and Joe's that make 1 a good coach.  He also said that when his X's were bigger and better than the other team's O's they seemed to win a lot more. Players make a good coach great and a good coach look terrible when they have no players. It truly takes both. For me I will take talent and no coach over great coach and no talent. Only so much juice can you squeeze from a small lemon

Lot of good points there - except did you read my post about IUBB under Archie. A lot of great talent with no good coach. The result was failure. Utter failure. Now with Woodson… crazy how the team has already turned around. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, htownbound said:

Lot of good points there - except did you read my post about IUBB under Archie. A lot of great talent with no good coach. The result was failure. Utter failure. Now with Woodson… crazy how the team has already turned around. 

I could write a book on Archie and his misuse of players. It truly takes both to be great IMO. I think with football your position coaches( coordinators) are so vital and they have a lot of say in game planning and in basketball its a little different. I agree if this is a bad hire we are wasting a lot of talent. 

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 1

Let me give you a great example where everyone tried to blame the players for poor play: IUBB. 

People were starting to say that we didn’t have any talent, or that we didn’t have any shooters on the team. That we were unathletic. That we needed to keep recruiting better kids. But the thing is: you don’t have three 5-star, five 4-star, and five 3-star kids all under Archie’s tenure, (some of whom were deemed to be sharp shooters in high school), suddenly turn to garbage. That was all coaching. Now with right coaching hire in Woodson - all shooting numbers are starting to climb again. Including free throw % (FINALLY) and 3%. 

The crazy part about the Woodson hire? That there were ACTUALLY ADVANCED STATISTICS to prove that he was going to be a good head coach, including the percentage improvements that almost NBA all star he coached made while he was an assistant on that all stars team. 

Now lets translate to IU Football. We currently have the most talent on the team that we have ever had, and the greatest incoming class that we have ever had. We saw what an incompetent coach can do with a talented IU team this year, and now everyone wants to vote in the same type of person to manage that talent?? Absolutely mind numbing to me.

Shooting has nothing to do with coaching. Except telling them to get in the gym and get shots up. Archie would loved to have had Parker, Miller, Johnson and Bates. Am I saying Archie is a great coach, no. But those 4 guys would have made him better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Shooting has nothing to do with coaching. Except telling them to get in the gym and get shots up. Archie would loved to have had Parker, Miller, Johnson and Bates. Am I saying Archie is a great coach, no. But those 4 guys would have made him better.

Exactly right. AM had more of a problem with roster construction than anything. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

LOL - coaches coach shooting. You have to practice getting the right arc on the ball to produce shot make % angles. You have to be able to do that well from a point of exhaustion. You think that shooting isn’t coached!? Guess again

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I could write a book on Archie and his misuse of players. It truly takes both to be great IMO. I think with football your position coaches( coordinators) are so vital and they have a lot of say in game planning and in basketball its a little different. I agree if this is a bad hire we are wasting a lot of talent. 

Agreed on the talent piece. It’s also perception. Right now we’re a few levels above what we were when Lynch had the job in the late 2000s. Don’t want to get back to that point. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, htownbound said:

I’ve called the athletic office. I’ve emailed the athletic office. I am trying to get others to do the same. The prior 2 years were the best two for IU football in the past 25 years, and it took us 10 years from Wilson -> Allen to get there. I’m not waiting another 10 years for this program to be fixed because we gave an unproven guy “a chance” and had to clean house.

Did they ask you for a check to pay for it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Did they ask you for a check to pay for it.

Indiana University had the 2nd largest living alumni base and should have no problem getting this money. The idea that LSU can pay $100M for a coach and $1M+ for coordinators, but we can’t cough up $1-$2M for a good coordinator is ridiculous. 

Just now, htownbound said:

Indiana University had the 2nd largest living alumni base and should have no problem getting this money. The idea that LSU can pay $100M for a coach and $1M+ for coordinators, but we can’t cough up $1-$2M for a good coordinator is ridiculous. 

Then the Alumni association needs to be better. 

I have no clue what fantasy world you live in that Indiana is a true player in the CFB world, but you're grossly mistaken. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1