IU set to hire Walt Bell as offensive coordinator.

IU247

Just now, btownqb said:

Then the Alumni association needs to be better. 

I have no clue what fantasy world you live in that Indiana is a true player in the CFB world, but you're grossly mistaken. 

I have no clue what fantasy world you live in that says Indiana can’t be a true player in the CFB world. It’s all about changing mentality and what we’re willing to accept. We have the resources. 

1 hour ago, htownbound said:

I don’t know how many times I have to say this. We have 8 straight years of data with him at HC or OC dating back to Arkansas st and his numbers have never been good. He cannot run an efficient offense, and he never has. Let me say the word again: Efficiency. Efficiency. Efficiency. 

If your offense is not efficient, you will not win games. Period. 

I’ve posted his efficiency numbers several times, but no one wants to use that as a future indicator of success even though it has DICTATED *most* of his coaching moves. Maryland - bad O - fired. FSU / Taggart - bad O - fired. UMASS - bad O - fired. How has failure not followed him? Some guys are the lucky sperm that have moderate success at one coaching job and can ride that to bigger names their entire career - aka Walt Bell. 

And for you numbskulls out there : COACHING BEATS TALENT 9 TIMES OUTTA 10. Even using Alabama, despite the terrible comparison point that it is: do you think the top talent isn’t coming to Bama if Saban isn’t a good coach? Even when they didn’t have talent in his early years at Bama, he still out coached everyone in the SEC west to make that team what it is today!! Coaching is what makes the Baylor the cyclical team that it is. Does talent help?! Absolutely! But the talent will go nowhere further if you have a Sheridan there to coach that talent for 4 years. 

Nobody cares because your thesis is full of speculation, with some nonsense thrown in.  I don't know why you are stuck on this.  Relax, you might be a good poster with good ideas, and that would be entirely welcome, but on this one, we get your point and people have responded.

Edited by BobSaccamanno

Lot of good points there - except did you read my post about IUBB under Archie. A lot of great talent with no good coach. The result was failure. Utter failure. Now with Woodson… crazy how the team has already turned around. 

How would you explain the Zeller/Oladipo years then? Extremely talented players and a so-so (at best) coach

Let me give you a great example where everyone tried to blame the players for poor play: IUBB. 

People were starting to say that we didn’t have any talent, or that we didn’t have any shooters on the team. That we were unathletic. That we needed to keep recruiting better kids. But the thing is: you don’t have three 5-star, five 4-star, and five 3-star kids all under Archie’s tenure, (some of whom were deemed to be sharp shooters in high school), suddenly turn to garbage. That was all coaching. Now with the right coaching hire in Woodson - all shooting numbers are starting to climb again. Including free throw % (FINALLY) and 3 point%. 

The crazy part about the Woodson hire? That there were ACTUALLY ADVANCED STATISTICS to prove that he was going to be a good head coach, including the percentage improvements that almost all NBA All stars he coached made while he was an assistant on that all star’s team. 

Now lets translate to IU Football. We currently have the most talent on the team that we have ever had, and the greatest incoming class that we have ever had. We saw what an incompetent coach can do with a talented IU team this year, and now everyone wants to vote in the same type of person to manage that talent?? Absolutely mind numbing to me.

You do realize that the better shooting from 3 ate from the new players.  Look at Franklin's, Durham's and Hunters percentage and tell me who is a fault.

So if Saban coaches IU with the talent this year how many wins do we have.

So did they get tired of you over at BTB and that is why you started posting here.

Edited by IU Scott

58 minutes ago, htownbound said:

LOL - coaches coach shooting. You have to practice getting the right arc on the ball to produce shot make % angles. You have to be able to do that well from a point of exhaustion. You think that shooting isn’t coached!? Guess again

Shooters are born and not taught.  Yes you can take a guy and get him descent but the truly great shooters just have the touch.

49 minutes ago, htownbound said:

I have no clue what fantasy world you live in that says Indiana can’t be a true player in the CFB world. It’s all about changing mentality and what we’re willing to accept. We have the resources. 

I have seen 50 years of OI football to show me that IU will never be a true player in college football.  It has nothing to do with IU but how football is set up for the top programs.  NIL is not going to change anything because the big schools will still be the ones who can give the most money.  Before it was under the table and now it is open market.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Shooters are born and not taught.  Yes you can take a guy and get him descent but the truly great shooters just have the touch.

That’s such a %#%% myth it’s incredible. Look at Julius Randle on the Knicks. The only player in NBA history to shoot below 30% from the 3 point line his entire career, then turn it around to shoot above 41% as soon as he had Mike Woodson as an assistant for over a year. Coincidence? Absolutely not. Riddle me how Trayce magically starting shooting better this year??? You think some magic thing just happened? He was “reborn”? People on this board are idiots.

31 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Nobody cares because your thesis is full of speculation, with some nonsense thrown in.  I don't know why you are stuck on this.  Relax, you might be a good poster with good ideas, and that would be entirely welcome, but on this one, we get your point and people have responded.

Absolutely no speculation. All fact. Facts based on stats that have a direct correlation with success.

8 minutes ago, htownbound said:

Absolutely no speculation. All fact. Facts based on stats that have a direct correlation with success.

The problem here is you have an unrealistic expectation, that's ok, I did too when I assumed our fans would trust Tom Allen after what he's done for the program. I should have known they'd be ridiculous as ever.

We are both wrong. 

16 minutes ago, htownbound said:

That’s such a fucking myth it’s incredible. Look at Julius Randle on the Knicks. The only player in NBA history to shoot below 30% from the 3 point line his entire career, then turn it around to shoot above 41% as soon as he had Mike Woodson as an assistant for over a year. Coincidence? Absolutely not. Riddle me how Trayce magically starting shooting better this year??? You think some magic thing just happened? He was “reborn”? People on this board are idiots.

How many 3's has he hit this year.  It comes down to the players work ethic and is he willing to put the work in.  I think TJD has hit two shots outside of 5 feet.

Just a warning you won't be welcome here very much longer that language.

Edited by IU Scott

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The problem here is you have an unrealistic expectation, that's ok, I did too when I assumed our fans would trust Tom Allen after what he's done for the program. I should have known they'd be ridiculous as ever.

We are both wrong. 

My expectations for IU football is that the ceiling for IU is 8 wins. I don't think even Saban or Myer could get IU to a championship level.

• Like 1

Let me give you a great example where everyone tried to blame the players for poor play: IUBB. 

People were starting to say that we didn’t have any talent, or that we didn’t have any shooters on the team. That we were unathletic. That we needed to keep recruiting better kids. But the thing is: you don’t have three 5-star, five 4-star, and five 3-star kids all under Archie’s tenure, (some of whom were deemed to be sharp shooters in high school), suddenly turn to garbage. That was all coaching. Now with the right coaching hire in Woodson - all shooting numbers are starting to climb again. Including free throw % (FINALLY) and 3 point%. 

The crazy part about the Woodson hire? That there were ACTUALLY ADVANCED STATISTICS to prove that he was going to be a good head coach, including the percentage improvements that almost all NBA All stars he coached made while he was an assistant on that all star’s team. 

Now lets translate to IU Football. We currently have the most talent on the team that we have ever had, and the greatest incoming class that we have ever had. We saw what an incompetent coach can do with a talented IU team this year, and now everyone wants to vote in the same type of person to manage that talent?? Absolutely mind numbing to me.

Who was talking about basketball? But while you're at it, let's now compare Rick Pitino and John Calipari's advance stats in college and how they translated to the NBA. Or how about Fred Hoiberg's at Nebraska?  Either way, you're arguing apples and oranges. 

14 minutes ago, htownbound said:

That’s such a fucking myth it’s incredible. Look at Julius Randle on the Knicks. The only player in NBA history to shoot below 30% from the 3 point line his entire career, then turn it around to shoot above 41% as soon as he had Mike Woodson as an assistant for over a year. Coincidence? Absolutely not. Riddle me how Trayce magically starting shooting better this year??? You think some magic thing just happened? He was “reborn”? People on this board are idiots.

^^^^^this guy….tell us how you really feel. I’m surprised a moderator hasn’t chimed in to compliment you on your honest and insightful opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

My expectations for IU football is that the ceiling for IU is 8 wins. I don't think even Saban or Myer could get IU to a championship level.

We should all have elevated expectations, but to expect us to win 8-10 games every year is a stretch. Let's look at IU historically, regardless of the coach(es). IU is a hard place to win at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_win-loss_records 121 out of 130. The fact that CTA has done what he has, you have to give him props and some leeway when it comes to who he is "choosing" as coaches. I'm still waiting to hear who he thinks we turned down in favor of Bell? 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

I agree it takes hard work but it is up to the player and not coaching.  I am talking the elite shooters and I doubt players like Curry ate great shooters because of a coach.

Of course he is, his dad. His dad being his coach is the exact reason. No one is born with the god given ability to shoot a basketball. 

Now there are qualifies- height, etc. 

That’s such a  myth it’s incredible. Look at Julius Randle on the Knicks. The only player in NBA history to shoot below 30% from the 3 point line his entire career, then turn it around to shoot above 41% as soon as he had Mike Woodson as an assistant for over a year. Coincidence? Absolutely not. Riddle me how Trayce magically starting shooting better this year??? You think some magic thing just happened? He was “reborn”? People on this board are idiots.

Welcome.to the board. I think you need to take a minute and read our rules, and understand our culture.

Passion and debate are welcome. But cussing and name calling is not. 

I am gonna give you a pass, since you are new.

But clean it up quickly. Nobody here is afraid of a good debate. 

But keep it in bounds with how this board operates.

This is gonna be the only freebie on this topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Classy.

Sounds like you're a wealth of knowledge. What program are you the head coach of?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1