IU set to hire Walt Bell as offensive coordinator.

IU247

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Which has always been the problem and why it would be great for Allen to work out. Who is going to stay at IU as HC after success when the big boys come calling…basically nobody unless they have ties to the state like Allen

We can get people to stay if we pay them appropriately. Allen doesn't just stay because he loves Indiana so much, look at his contract. Dude is making $5M per year. For example, Matt Campbell has stuck it out with Iowa St for all these years and he doesn't necessarily have ties to Iowa. Plus we will be in a power 2 conference with multiple marquee matchups every year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Which has always been the problem and why it would be great for Allen to work out. Who is going to stay at IU as HC after success when the big boys come calling…basically nobody unless they have ties to the state like Allen

I don’t know about that. If you pay them well (and why couldn’t we given the tv money we will have) no reason to go somewhere else. Mark Stoops is like the second longest tenured coach in the SEC…I’m sure he has been approached many times to leave UK. Why leave a school where you are celebrated like a king if you go 8-4 to somewhere they will burn your picture for the same record?

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2021 at 3:54 PM, htownbound said:

Why give this guy a chance to destroy the program?? Why “see what he’s got”? Next year is a make or break year, and we don't have time to play around and give previously mediocre coaches a chance. We have all of the other pieces we need to be successful, but if Bell is our OC, we will most likely fail (I’ve posted his numbers below) with our schedule and Allen will be fired if next season is like this one. We would go back to where we were over a decade ago: no belief, no recruits, no good coaches, and no identity. I’m not sitting around another 10 years to get back to where we are now just because everyone wanted to give a mediocre hire a chance. Time is of the essence, and he is not an official hire [yet]. If he becomes official, then sure, I’ll cave. For now though, everyone needs to read the information and speak up.

I’m going to post the same thing here that I did over at BTB.

““He is bad… here’s the best possible information that’s available (and really the only number you need to look at). 

His offensive efficiency numbers by year and team:

2014 - OC - Arkansas St 76th

2015 - OC - Arkansas St 78th

2016 - OC - Maryland 68th

2017- OC - Maryland 70th

2018 - OC - FSU 106th

2019 - HC - UMASS - 128th

2020 - HC - UMASS - 126th

2021 - HC - UMASS - 127th 

For reference, Coach Sheridan sat 104th in efficiency this year. For further comparison, here are the offensive efficiency numbers (from good years) at IU previously: 

DeBoer:

2019 - 17th

Wilson / Kevin Johns / Seth Littrel:

2016 - 53rd

2015 - 27th

2014 - 71st

2013 - 20th

2012 - 49th

The numbers from former IU coaches are the numbers we know we need to compete in the B1G, and Bell is nowhere near them. I know Bell did great things with the rushing game at Maryland, or the passing game at FSU (think they finished top 2 in ACC that year), but his offenses still stunk. You can have all the stats that you want, but if your offense isn’t efficient, can't convert on 3rd down, stay on the field, win the turnover battle, or score when needed, then what good are stats?? 

Hopefully something changes in the next (24 hours!)”” 

I will also say this: there are not three people I could think of for this role. There are about 12-15, including Seth Littrel OR even Kevin Johns. This is just a flat out bad hire if it goes through. 

Just wanted to come back to say I was right. Numbers do matter. Thanks for not getting riled up to do anything about it. 

On 12/8/2021 at 3:13 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Nobody cares because your thesis is full of speculation, with some nonsense thrown in.  I don't know why you are stuck on this.  Relax, you might be a good poster with good ideas, and that would be entirely welcome, but on this one, we get your point and people have responded.

Hey Bob…. Now that the program is ruined, you got anything to say?

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can honestly say I don't remember 90% of what I posted last week, let alone 2 years ago.  Not sure what to think about someone that remembers well enough to dredge up comments made two years ago (ex-wives not withstanding).

Hell, I don't remember what I ate for dinner last night. 

"Alcohol was not involved."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, htownbound said:

Hey Bob…. Now that the program is ruined, you got anything to say?

I don’t remember the whole context. Regardless,  I didn’t meant to offend you.  I’m not against analytics so I don’t know what precipitated everything.  I don’t remember this chain whatsoever.  Hopefully you will stay and post more and we can have lively discussion.  

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t remember the whole context. Regardless,  I didn’t meant to offend you.  I’m not against analytics so I don’t know what precipitated everything.  I don’t remember this chain whatsoever.  Hopefully you will stay and post more and we can have lively discussion.  

Perfect Bob.  👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I can honestly say I don't remember 90% of what I posted last week, let alone 2 years ago.  Not sure what to think about someone that remembers well enough to dredge up comments made two years ago (ex-wives not withstanding).

I'm just glad I've never posted anything that hasn't proven to be 100% accurate. 

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Damn. This could have gone sideways quickly. Well done Bobby!  

• Like 4