Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

33 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We are who we are.  This loss isn't out of the norm.  It's a typical loss - you can't deny it.

It hurts to look at it this way, but the better team went on the road and won in a tough environment.  Every coach in the league knows how to beat IU, and you could see the confidence oozing off Pickiell's face in the second half.  Keep it close, and you will beat IU.

Need to hit the portal hard.  There's enough data to know you aren't winning with this roster.  

Until we get winners around the program we will have loser mentalities. Until you bring in players who want to work hard and play for the name on the front of the jerseys we will be stuck right where we are. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

If we are only recruiting players that make deep tourney runs that’s really going to limit the players we recruit I would think.  I agree on Galloway and Leal, TJD was on a successful team as well. 

I would disagree that Center Grove is a high-level program.

Bates and Duncomb do fit the bill for out of state guys.

I don't think anyone is saying only recruit guys that come from those type of programs, but having a couple guys that know how to make plays at the end of games would be nice.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Kind of felt this would happen after we made fun of Purdue losing on a last second 3 last night.

Going to suck getting eliminated from tournament by Purdue…I know we must think the program is making progress but why does it have to be with such baby steps lol.

I'm not sure we really are making much measurable progress if we miss the tournament and finish below .500 in the conference again. I mean maybe technically, but not in any significant way. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

If we are only recruiting players that make deep tourney runs that’s really going to limit the players we recruit I would think.  I agree on Galloway and Leal, TJD was on a successful team as well. 

I would change the term from winners to killers. Most high-end D1 guys are going to win in high school, but we need killers. 

Baker and Harper are killers. Johnny Davis is a killer. I could list guys from a lot of Big Ten schools over the recent years. 

Yogi was a killer. Aaron Craft. Trey Burke, etc.

We haven't had a guy like that since Yogi's senior, and even Yogi as great as he was, was really only like that for the last half of his senior year. 

Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome were killers. The Baylor guards and wings last year. Edward's from Purdue. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I would disagree that Center Grove is a high-level program.

Bates and Duncomb do fit the bill for out of state guys.

I don't think anyone is saying only recruit guys that come from those type of programs, but having a couple guys that know how to make plays at the end of games would be nice.

My point is, that it’s pretty hard to tell a winner in high school ball I’d think because most D1 players are probably on a pretty good team. Something needs to change and I think Woody is starting with the culture. It’s just not a quick process I guess.  I still don’t see a leader on the floor for this team and it’s almost the end of the season.  

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't necessarily agree with all of your bullets, but let's say they're all correct for sake of conversation....

Is the standard that we should have to have a perfect game coached to win? That's pretty rough, given that coaching often falls into a gray area with decisions that are much easier judged with hindsight. 

Not saying that, and I will listen to legitimate arguments for the last 3.  The first one, however, is indefensible in my opinion.  Each and every game stands on its own.  Based on what was happening on the floor, Geronimo was going to help the team be successful tonight,  The other two (Race and Stewart) were not.  And, I'll even throw Durr into that since he got 5 minutes of time in the 2nd half.that could have went to Geronimo as well.  

• Ride Keith Smart in the '87 championship game when he is hot
  • Ride Christian Watford against UK when he is on fire

When a player is making a difference, let them play!

• Like 6

Our March is going to consist of rooting for whoever is playing Purdue and Kentucky again.  I hate March….

It is better when IU is playing in it but March is still the best month of the year. Still going to take my two days off and watch basketball all day long

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The only reason we lost that game is because Kopp and Stewart didn't do what they were brought here to do. 

They're here to make wide open 3's and we got them wide open 3's all night and they couldn't make them. 

That is why we lost plain and simple. 

Kopp and PS were 3-14 from 3. Just awful. I’ll be quite blunt and say I’m not interested in either being back next year. Both are one dimensional and for Stewart, sure he shoots it well overall, but he has to rely on somebody else to get him a look. God, can we please have a shooter next year that other teams actually fear!?

Also, TJD disappeared in the second half, but what’s new for him when the going gets tough late? Typically disappears. Or at least he has quite a bit the second part of the season.

No way on Earth we win at Mackey, so I’m guessing we need, at minimum, two wins in the Big (which isn’t happening) to make the semis and we’ll still be sweating on selection day. Depressing as usual. 

• Like 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

11 losses and 10 of them we led in the second half and 4 of them led on the final 3 minutes.  To me this is just the lack of mental toughness and the lack of a go to player

I think it's more the latter then the former. 

This is what happens when you are really weak on the wings and inconsistent at the guard spots. 

Johnny Davis wins that game. Murray and Bohannon win that game. Trent Frazier wins that game. 

• Like 1

I’m just tired of losing to the same dudes for like a decade. Davidson…Harper/Baker…Bohannon…Nance/Audidge/Buie…Liddell…it’s clear the past 4-5 years we didn’t recruit well enough and with all these guys staying for extra years etc…we still can’t beat them with these guys Archie brought in no matter who is coaching them. Need a huge influx of talent…

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would change the term from winners to killers. Most high-end D1 guys are going to win in high school, but we need killers. 

Baker and Harper are killers. Johnny Davis is a killer. I could list guys from a lot of Big Ten schools over the recent years. 

Yogi was a killer. Aaron Craft. Trey Burke, etc.

We haven't had a guy like that since Yogi's senior, and even Yogi as great as he was, was really only like that for the last half of his senior year. 

Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome were killers. The Baylor guards and wings last year. Edward's from Purdue. 

Totally agree, but was that able to be seen on the high school level? I’m asking because I don’t know.  I guess I could tell Yogi was going to be good but he didn’t become a good leader until his senior year in my opinion.  Now that’s partly because of the teams he was on.  Was Johnny Davis a killer in HS?

My point is, that it’s pretty hard to tell a winner in high school ball I’d think because most D1 players are probably on a pretty good team. Something needs to change and I think Woody is starting with the culture. It’s just not a quick process I guess.  I still don’t see a leader on the floor for this team and it’s almost the end of the season.  

Fair, I think we mostly agree and are kinda talking around each other on this one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

It is the end of the season. Purdue will end it Saturday…B1G tourney will just be a formality.

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Kopp and PS were 3-14 from 3. Just awful. I’ll be quite blunt and say I’m not interested in either being back next year. Both are one dimensional and for Stewart, sure he shoots it well overall, but he has to rely on somebody else to get him a look. God, can we please have a shooter next year that other teams actually fear!?

Also, TJD disappeared in the second half, but what’s new for him when the going gets tough late? Typically disappears. Or at least he has quite a bit the second part of the season.

No way on Earth we win at Mackey, so I’m guessing we need, at minimum, two wins in the Big (which isn’t happening) to make the semis and we’ll still be sweating on selection day. Depressing as usual. 

I don’t even know that TJD really disappeared. Rutgers changed the way they guarded him, so TJD hit our "shooters" for wide open 3's and the guys missed. 

If Stewart/Kopp made shots then we're talking about how well TJD handled the double and trusted his guys. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Until we get winners around the program we will have loser mentalities. Until you bring in players who want to work hard and play for the name on the front of the jerseys we will be stuck right where we are. 

I agree to some extent but there's more to it. Most of these kids were winners in high school. What's missing is more legit size and guys who can get their own shot and score at a high level.

Other than X and Trey there's nobody who can beat their guy and get to the basket. Maybe some day Tamar can add that to his game. Hopefully JHS can bring that next season. 

But the size issue stands out as a yearly problem. 6'9 and 6'8 are IUs best bigs. They're not getting much from Durr and a absolutley nothing from Logan. Tonight TJD had two rebounds in the second half and he sat a long enough time to rest. When your team doesn't hit shots you better have multiple guys to rebound. IU does ok on the boards but they need to dominate for to make up for poor shooting.

Edited by Euroclydon

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, you can always nitpick and find some things that could have been done different. 

But again, the bottom line is if Stewart and Kopp even have average shooting night on completely wide open shots then we win that game going away. 

But, that's the thing.  Stewart and Kopp weren't having good games.  Jordan Geronimo was.  Put the players on teh floor that give you the best chance to win THAT game.  Maybe Saturday against Purdue that will be Stewart and Kopp.  Tonight it was Geronimo with XJ and Rob capable of more minutes as well.  

Geronimo only played 9 minutes.

Ron Harper played 38 minutes.  Why could we only get 32 out of TJD.

Geo Baker played 36 minutes.  Why could we only get 33 out of XJ.  XJ plays 3 more minutes when he was taking over the game and we win.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t even know that TJD really disappeared. Rutgers changed the way they guarded him, so TJD hit our "shooters" for wide open 3's and the guys missed. 

If Stewart/Kopp made shots then we're talking about how well TJD handled the double and trusted his guys. 

I agree for the most part, PS and MK lost this game. But TJD had two rebounds in the second half, missed a huge bunny late (yet again), and just looked defeated (bc he got dominated down low) late bc he couldn’t get a decent shot. All-Americans don’t let that happen. If you can’t score then you get 10 boards. Impact the game in some way! 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Totally agree, but was that able to be seen on the high school level? I’m asking because I don’t know.  I guess I could tell Yogi was going to be good but he didn’t become a good leader until his senior year in my opinion.  Now that’s partly because of the teams he was on.  Was Johnny Davis a killer in HS?

You can definitely tell, in most cases. I'm sure Yogi was a good leader on his high school team. 

But you can tell in high school and AAU how tenacious guys are, how they seek the big shots, how they know how to get anywhere they want on the court to get their shot, etc.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, you can always nitpick and find some things that could have been done different. 

But again, the bottom line is if Stewart and Kopp even have average shooting night on completely wide open shots then we win that game going away. 

….this one and a handful of others too. 

51 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Woody 💯absolutely had to make the dance this season to have a chance of surviving.  Miss out and were looking for a new coach next season.   Guaranteed 

Don’t care if this gets me banned 

You don’t show up here for the last two games when we win, and then make sure you are here to pile on after a tough loss.

[Deleted, no personal attacks. - BGleas]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3