Jon Rothstein's B1G Power Rankings/Individual Recognition

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Rothstein will get zero credit on GBI after picking Purdue 9th (I personally find that hilarious).

Maybe it just feels that way but holy cow...the Big Ten looks a lot tougher this year than last year.

...oh and 12th is too high for Illinois.  Illinois is going to suck. :P

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Well Rothstein will get zero credit on GBI after picking Purdue 9th (I personally find that hilarious).

Maybe it just feels that way but holy cow...the Big Ten looks a lot tougher this year than last year.

...oh and 12th is too high for Illinois.  Illinois is going to suck. :P

Rothstein is a joke. 9th for Purdue is laughable plus he picked Happ over Carsen for BTPOY which I think is funny. Nebraska at 3?! I don’t think Minnesota or Iowa should be ahead of Purdue and maybe even Wisconsin. Way too low at 9. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Rothstein is a joke. 9th for Purdue is laughable plus he picked Happ over Carsen for BTPOY which I think is funny. Nebraska at 3?! I don’t think Minnesota or Iowa should be ahead of Purdue and maybe even Wisconsin. Way too low at 9. 

I'm sure his analysis is at least more credible than the GBI analysis of Romeo Langford.  You had a poster that didn't even have him in the top five freshmen, which is beyond laughable.  Hard to take anything serious I read there, but it's damned entertaining.

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

9th is about right in my estimation plus or minus a few spots.  They have one proven player on their entire roster, and he benefited greatly from the cushion that defenses had to give the perimeter because of Haas.

22 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How is picking Happ above Edward's funny? Happ avg 18p 8r 4a 2s 1b and shot 53% from the field last year. Great stats. Other than scoring (Carsen has a .6 advantage there) all of Happs stats are better. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How is picking Happ above Edward's funny? Happ avg 18p 8r 4a 2s 1b and shot 53% from the field last year. Great stats. Other than scoring (Carsen has a .6 advantage there) all of Happs stats are better. 

Nailed it.  Not sure how anyone could say Happ as POY is laughable unless they don’t watch basketball.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Trust me. Edwards is in for a rude awakening when he realizes he's number 1 on everyone's scouting list. He's going to have to work twice as hard to match his numbers as last year. I liken it to Yogi when we lost Zeller, Watford, Oladipo etc...

On another note, none of these experts are going to put IU as number 1 in conference for fear of being called bias, particularly after last years record. That is why on most preseason rankings we are #3 or #4. However, we will finish in the top 3 and have a good chance of finishing #1. We have the 2 best players on the court at any given time. 

Carson is a good player but I'm amazed at how the toiletmaker faithful view him as unstoppable but yet think that Noel Eastern will shut Romeo down.  Romeo is a few inches taller than Carson but he's easily stopped?

Interesting logic from Smellermaker fans...

I truly believe that by seasons end, we’re battling with Michigan for the conference championship. If there’s any guy in the B1G who’s got a chip on his shoulder and out to prove himself this season, it’s Juwan Morgan. I think that we get a very aggressive/determined Morgan, who in his own right will be out to prove that he’s the best player in the league. I know that Romeo is obviously the player with the highest ceiling in the league and he will be exciting to watch as well, but I see Juwan taking his game to another level. 

Also, Justin Smith is going to be fantastic! I think that a trio of Romeo, Smith and Morgan will be very formidable.

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Happ could definitely beat our Carson for POY. I expect one of those two players to win it. I agree with 9 being to low. I got you guys around 6. I expect IU to be around 3-5. Should be some exciting games between us this year. Hopefully everyone stays healthy. 

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Happ is better than Edwards, and Minnesota and Iowa should finish ahead of Purdue.

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Happ could definitely beat our Carson for POY. I expect one of those two players to win it. I agree with 9 being to low. I got you guys around 6. I expect IU to be around 3-5. Should be some exciting games between us this year. Hopefully everyone stays healthy. 

I think 5-7 range makes sense for Purdue. Laughable to think Iowa or Minnesota are picked ahead of Purdue. That’s absurd. 

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm sure his analysis is at least more credible than the GBI analysis of Romeo Langford.  You had a poster that didn't even have him in the top five freshmen, which is beyond laughable.  Hard to take anything serious I read there, but it's damned entertaining.

Why you’d cite the Purdue free board is beyond me. No legit Purdue poster believes that and the vast majority know and acknowledge how good Romeo is/will be. I could go find some stupid crap on the iu free board and post it here but it’s silly because it’s not representative of the majority of the fanbase. 

3 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Trust me. Edwards is in for a rude awakening when he realizes he's number 1 on everyone's scouting list. He's going to have to work twice as hard to match his numbers as last year. I liken it to Yogi when we lost Zeller, Watford, Oladipo etc...

On another note, none of these experts are going to put IU as number 1 in conference for fear of being called bias, particularly after last years record. That is why on most preseason rankings we are #3 or #4. However, we will finish in the top 3 and have a good chance of finishing #1. We have the 2 best players on the court at any given time. 

I think you’re underestimating how good Carsen is. I think a lot of the other players on Purdue last year benefitted from having Carsen there to break down the defense more than he benefitted from them. He could get his own shot at any time he wanted. Guys like Thompson and Mathis benefitted from him more than the other way around. You don’t think there were games last year when he was number 1 on other team’s scouting lists? Not sure I’d agree with that. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why you’d cite the Purdue free board is beyond me. No legit Purdue poster believes that and the vast majority know and acknowledge how good Romeo is/will be. I could go find some stupid crap on the iu free board and post it here but it’s silly because it’s not representative of the majority of the fanbase. 

This is a free board... so is BTB. 

Plenty of your fans cant see objectively when it comes to IU. 

And no.. it's not absurd to think those two teams will finish better than Purdue.. both of them have more talent. They aren't better coached.. borderline poorly coached, but they have better talent this coming year. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is a free board... so is BTB. 

Plenty of your fans cant see objectively when it comes to IU. 

And no.. it's not absurd to think those two teams will finish better than Purdue.. both of them have more talent. They aren't better coached.. borderline poorly coached, but they have better talent this coming year. 

Would you take either Iowa or Minnesota over Purdue this year?

Archived