UT Arlington Postgame Thread

22 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I'm not chicken little and the sky is not falling.  Injuries to now 7 players, , reliance on Freshmen early in the year who have yet to adjust to D1 BB having to play many more minutes than they should, short turn arounds with  4 games in ~1wk with 2 in 3d.  Talk about a perfect storm for potential disaster.  Yet we only have 1 loss.  CAM is doing what he can with what he can control.  Something else not mentioned to this point is how this calamity is also effecting productive practice time.  I'm proud of the team absorbing such hits and being able to produce W's and not folding.   In the end, I still think this helps this team long term by having to work thru such adversity.

Good post.  Had the exact same thought about practice time.  These injuries at least happened during an easier part of the schedule. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few things: We HAVE GOT TO GET HEALTHY and FAST!! I’ve coached and been around basketball for most of my existence, but have yet to see a team as banged up as our Hoosiers this early in the season! 

I know that losing Hunter hurts, but until we know the extent of the injury, we should remain optimistic. Hopefully we get some veterans back for Duke, next week. We will need more than seven healthy players to compete in that game.

I really like the energy that Anderson brought off the bench tonight. His minutes now, will be valuable later on. He made some mistakes, but who didn’t tonight?

I’m happy that we were able to grind that win out, because I’m not sure that the internet was ready for the state of Indiana had they lost. That was a very scrappy UT Arlington team and wish them the best from here on out.

Have I mentioned how important it is that we get healthy?

Disappointed this year in Smith’s defense. If you watch him he gets beat every time he gaurds the ball up top. If we want a snowballs chance in hell against Duke, he will need to defend better because that is where he will be defending their 6’7 guys. We will also need to shoot better from outside. 

Duke wins by 25 points right now.

5 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

Disappointed this year in Smith’s defense. If you watch him he gets beat every time he gaurds the ball up top. If we want a snowballs chance in hell against Duke, he will need to defend better because that is where he will be defending their 6’7 guys. We will also need to shoot better from outside. 

Hate to be pessimistic but with the healthy people we have, we lose by more than that.  If we play as unfocused as we did tonight, combined with the injuries, I am concerned we will be down by 25 at half.  Our guys can't all play 40 minutes.

I was at the game. Sat 4 rows behind Fish and Eric calling the game. Just a couple of things, D.Anderson has 0 basketball IQ. J.Smith stands around and next to D.Anderson is the next worse defender on the floor. Smith is also scared to rebound, afraid of the contact, backed up and winched fearing of being hit. My buddy turned to me and said did you see the look on Smiths face? This happened a couple of times. He wont mix it up. When McBob returns J.Smith will see more pine. Very disappointed watching him up close. This team is very weak with the ball and aren't very good passers yet. Passing lanes close quick and these young guys arent used to it yet. Romeo's biggest issue.

When Romeo wants it he can get it anytime. If we played through him he would get 40 a night.

Just finished watching the game on tape... wow.  I usually don’t like making injury excuses, but since we won anyway, it’s not really an excuse.  We are the walking dead right now... Down SEVEN of our rotation players by the end of that game??  To have to finish the game out with only Phinisee, Anderson, Smith, Juwan, and Fitzner was tough.

Honestly, I felt like most of the game was going reasonably well before the three-point barrage started early in the second half.  (Except for the ridiculous turnovers... You would think they’d be a little more prepared for a press after Arkansas.)  While I know our 3PFG% defense was great going into this game, part of me wonders if the pack line defense is just always going to be prone to getting burned from three like this. When we’re not getting on-ball pressure, opposing players can just get into a groove and go nuts.

Having said all that, have to breathe a sigh of relief that we pulled this game out with such a depleted rotation, and by 14 points no less.  Juwan took the game over, and man, Dathreezi has some balls for a freshman.  Bet Archie is still up pacing in his living room right now after that game.

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Is this program jinx because I have never seen so many injuries in my life.  Wonder what is going on with Moore and Forester if they are not ready to play even when we were down 7 players.

Is basketball doing the redshirt deal where is you play less than so many games you can still redshirt?

9 hours ago, Montana Hoosier said:

Justin Smith is the softest player on this team. I don't want to hear about his vertical leap. It's useless with his lack of aggressiveness and unwillingness to by physical

Coming off of a loss...I just expected more. So tired of the injuries already. Either be available or not,....but tired of we'll see if he can play.

Also....the public always complains about wanting more tickets compared to students,etc.....that place was dead last night. If the public wants tickets give Fred a reason. I heard the crowd 2x the entire broadcast. Pretty pathetic.

12 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

Justin Smith is the softest player on this team. I don't want to hear about his vertical leap. It's useless with his lack of aggressiveness and unwillingness to by physical

Maybe it's just me but I feel like he's missed 9-10 layups or dunks at the rim already this year. 

I would think by Duke, we would welcome back Green/McRoberts for sure.  I think Romeo will be fine and Durham will be fine(may be held out as a precautionary for Friday's game). 

I think we go into Duke with everyone available except Race and obviously Jerome.  Seems Green/McRoberts injury were just as a precautionary to prevent from worsening a small injury

Three freshmen are getting a lot of PT because of the injuries and that is a bit of a double-edged sword.  On one hand, they're getting plenty of game experience and conditioning which could make them better players come January / February.  On the other hand, I'm a little concerned about the "freshman wall" if they continue to log 30+ minutes per game.  Overall, I'll take the experience part, but we really need some guys to get healthy and for Al and Fitz to get back on track.

Archived