IU UC Davis Game Thread

IU running away, very poor, slow start, took a lot of time into the second to get the energy and D going, and to get help for Morgan — who is a MAN — and we really need guys like Green and McBob, but this team will play a lot harder against the top teams,

and this kind of early scare can be a good thing, they won’t come out soft like this again, lots of film to work with

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

3 games in a week. Short handed. Freshmen having to play meaningful minutes. We are going to win.

Take a deep breath and enjoy the journey. We won. We have lost one game thus far, with half a team.

As A Rodgers said last year, “R E L A X”

Fingers crossed some of these guys are healthy by the Duke game. We're not just short handed in surviving these cupcakes, but we're not developing the type of chemistry with the full cast to take on upper tier teams. That's the most worrisome part of all of this. 

6 minutes ago, Calihoosier said:

Well escaping with a win feels good I guess?

It’s still big to win because it would mean we still have no bad losses and that is big when seeding comes March. It’s all about building a resume. A loss at home vs a +250 rank team would really look bad when comparing teams and placing them in the bracket.

Biggest issue I am seeing is our defense has taken a huge step back. Is it because guys are tired or is it that the pieces we have available dont understand the system? We have struggled against 2 really really bad teams in a row. I get that we are short handed but I would put money on our lowest rated player that is playing being head and shoulders higher than these teams top players ratings.

We played 8 players tonight and that is the type of rotation most on here keep saying we need to play. So of the players that arent available, who do we need the most? 

2 hours ago, Riverrat said:

Biggest issue I am seeing is our defense has taken a huge step back. Is it because guys are tired or is it that the pieces we have available dont understand the system? We have struggled against 2 really really bad teams in a row. I get that we are short handed but I would put money on our lowest rated player that is playing being head and shoulders higher than these teams top players ratings.

We played 8 players tonight and that is the type of rotation most on here keep saying we need to play. So of the players that arent available, who do we need the most? 

I think the issue is that we’re missing our best defensive player, and Green might be our 2nd best defender. When you’re missing two of your top defensive players your defense is going to take a step back. 

28 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

3 games in a week. Short handed. Freshmen having to play meaningful minutes. We are going to win.

Take a deep breath and enjoy the journey. We won. We have lost one game thus far, with half a team.

As A Rodgers said last year, “R E L A X”

Agree completely. Also, 3 games in a holiday week, which adds to the sluggishness. This team is missing 3 of it’s top 7 guys, two of which are upperclassmen and two of the best defenders on the team. Heck, McRoberts is one of the best defenders in country. 

This team needs to get healthy. 

I only got to listen to the last 10 minutes but here a few of my thoughts-

Not worried about an ugly win. How often do we see a top 10 team down at half to inferior competition only to rally late and win? The important part was the W. Short handed, I'll take it.

Justin Smith led in +/-

Great to see Morgan with 5 threes. That will be an important part of his game as the year goes on.  Also, 3 triple doubles already.

Not sure what to make of Jake and Clifton not getting in. Anyone know the real reason? 

Watched the whole thing. If you can get past the pop ups,  firstrowsports is where I'll stream any game with no lag. 

Ugly first half, where the players just looked lackadaisical and disinterested.  You could see them flip it on around the 6-8 minute mark in the 2nd. Not sure if it was a holiday hangover, or looking ahead, or a combination of the two, but I'll take the W and move on.  

I do appreciate some closer games where we have adversity, as that's what prepares you for conference and tournament play.  I'm not worried yet.

I wonder if CAM just killed them this week (Lot of work to do still) knowing we’d still win. Guys looked tired two straight games. Preparing them for later in the season. Or the guys are getting tired bc we’ve been short-handed. 🤷🏻‍♂️. Not trying to make excuses, but odd for them to look like they did against Marquette, then just fall off the deep end. With that said, we’ll be just fine. Duke will kill us, but we need to show up against Nwestern at home and PSU on the road. Would be huge to start 2-0 in the conference, gaining confidence before the visit from UL and game against Butler. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think the issue isn’t that we’re missing our best defensive player, and Green might be our 2nd best defender. When you’re missing two of your top defensive players your defense is going to take a step back. 

I would add that Green is also probably our 3rd best scorer. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Are you serious?

Xtremely serious.  The two guys we depend upon to get points, did their job.  In other words, they did what is expected of them. But stats are not the only thing. Many other things contribute to a win that never show up on a stat sheet.  Rob P. worked his butt off on O and D, all night long.  And that is why he earned my mile hi game ball. 

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Xtremely serious.  The two guys we depend upon to get points, did their job.  In other words, they did what is expected of them. But stats are not the only thing. Many other things contribute to a win that never show up on a stat sheet.  Rob P. worked his butt off on O and D, all night long.  And that is why he earned my mile hi game ball. 

You expect Juwan to go 31/10 and hit a bunch of threes?

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You expect Juwan to go 31/10 and hit a bunch of threes?

No. Not at all. Not every night.   But I expect him and Romeo to be the leaders in scoring most nights.  There is no question Juwan hitting three treys, in a row in the second half , lifted the team. But again, that is what I expect from a Senior.  Glad that he did not let us down. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I feel the team is playing very well for being young and soooo short handed! Which brings me to another question. Why haven’t we seen Forrester and Moore? I would think it would have been a great time to give them some minutes also. 

The game was tight until the end.  No real opportunity to put them in unless you wanted IU to fall further behind.

Archived