Favorite book

KoB2011

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just finished reading 'Portrait of an Unknown Woman', the 22nd book in the Garbiel Allon series by Daniel Silva.  I always wait for the paperback versions of books, and every summer I look forward to the next installment in this series.  It's like welcoming a good friend over for a weeklong visit.  This was one of my favorites in the series.  I know the series will hav to end at some point, but hopefully that's still a few years out.  

Newest book is out the 18th. I always look forward to reading them as well… order on my IPad.

Great series, and interested to see how Allon slowly fades away from the action 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

My wife and I have read the whole series. I liked them all. Really like how they intertwine history and current events.

If you haven't read it you'd probably like The Third Bullet by Stephen Hunter. It's part of the Swagger Series but a great stand alone book. 

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Bullet-Bob-Lee-Swagger/dp/1451640226/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=the+third+bullet&qid=1689877156&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just finished 'Only The Dead' by Jack Carr, the 5th book in the James Reece (Terminal List) series. 

The storyline and characters continue to evolve in a positive manner.  A couple of unresolved plot items to carry the series forward into the 6th book.

If you are looking for something to read and don't mind a high level of violence, this series is a good one and it appears it will be around for a while

• Like 2

SIAP, but the entire series of Jack Reacher from Lee Child. Once I'd pick up any of the books, I'd read it for 12-16 hours straight.

And agree on the Brad Thor series of Scott Horvath as well. Great.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Just finished 'Only The Dead' by Jack Carr, the 5th book in the James Reece (Terminal List) series. 

The storyline and characters continue to evolve in a positive manner.  A couple of unresolved plot items to carry the series forward into the 6th book.

If you are looking for something to read and don't mind a high level of violence, this series is a good one and it appears it will be around for a while

I read the 4th installment, The Devils Hand, in December. It was the best of the series to this point (barring maybe the first). Can’t wait to get into the 5th one. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Another good series is the Eddie Flynn books by Steve Cavanagh. A con-artist turned lawyer who always has trouble knocking on his door. 

I literally rediscovered the Eddie Flynn series over Thanksgiving.  I had read books 1 and 2 in they first came out, but the books stopped appearing on local bookshelves so I forgot about it.  I'll buy online if I need to, but I usually like to browse the shelves to find something that interests me.  In regards to the Flynn series, I came across 'Thirteen' in a Barnes & Noble while visiting the in-laws in Northern Indiana over Thanksgiving.  While reading the back cover, I realized I had read some of the earlier books and liked them.  I really liked 'Thirteen'.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I literally rediscovered the Eddie Flynn series over Thanksgiving.  I had read books 1 and 2 in the first came out, but the books stopped appearing on local bookshelves so I forgot about it.  I'll buy online if I need to, but I usually like to browse the shelves to find something that interests me.  In regards to the Flynn series, I came across 'Thirteen' in a Barnes & Noble while visiting the in-laws in Northern Indiana over Thanksgiving.  While reading the back cover, I realized I had read some of the earlier books and liked them.  I really liked 'Thirteen'.  

I have had a hard time finding them at my digital libraries (and local regular library) as well. I usually buy them used from thriftbooks.com. 

I’ll have to look tonight to see what I have but would be more than happy to mail what I have to you. I won’t read them again. 

Edited by Naturalhoosier
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I read the whole series earlier this year. Nice series. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed 'Never' by Ken Follett.  That one is going to stick with me for a long time.  Without giving up too much of the plot, the story revolves around what would seem to be some minor events in the African country of Chad that escalate into a world-wide crisis of the highest degree.  And, the scary thing is, the way it's presented is entirely plausible.

Follett is a great storyteller with well-developed characters. His books are usually long (this one was 'only' 800 pages).  But, I find myself so caught up in his stories that I usually finish them in less time than it takes me to finish a book half that size.  This one was no exception.  I think the last 250 pages or so were as intense as anything I recall ever reading.    

Edited by 5fouls
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but you have read them all correct? Did you read them all in order? Thinking about getting into the series 

Yes, read them all. The first few were ones I picked at random. After realizing I liked them, I read the rest in order. A few of them do reflect back in time. While not necessary to read them in order,  I prefer to do it that way just so it is easier knowing which ones I've read, which one to look for next, etc. My wife has read them all as well and likes the series as much as I do. As I've said before, the last few seem like they were written in more of a hurry to crank out books and my interest is waning as a result. Tom Cruise in the movie was a mistake but I've been pleased with the streaming series.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Yes, read them all. The first few were ones I picked at random. After realizing I liked them, I read the rest in order. A few of them do reflect back in time. While not necessary to read them in order,  I prefer to do it that way just so it is easier knowing which ones I've read, which one to look for next, etc. My wife has read them all as well and likes the series as much as I do. As I've said before, the last few seem like they were written in more of a hurry to crank out books and my interest is waning as a result. Tom Cruise in the movie was a mistake but I've been pleased with the streaming series.

Thanks for the info. Funny thing about the streaming series… I went to go watch it thinking I was watching the first season. I somehow made it halfway through the final episode of the second season before I realized it wasn’t the first season. Not my brightest moment lol

• Haha 1