Arkansas post game

39 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hoosier Nation

One game does not make a season

Please take the long view.

Whatever happens this year, the needle is pointing up.

Tired of the ongoing back and forth as to whether CAM is capable. I would rather watch this team lose playing his style than to watch the fast pace, 20 turnovers that represented the previous regime 

I respect you totally. I’m a big fan of Archie and want him to succeed and back him completely until end of next season to look at it all. But I have to point out there isn’t a soul in this thread saying “because we simply lost to Arkansas at home our program is doomed or the season is shot or we can determine everything about this team.” I see people in this thread, pointing out concerning trends that were there last year that followed with a horrible finish and appear to be the same as last year.

I don’t see that as overreacting, that’s just rational observation and conversation for a sports message board.

there are outliers on both sides but I’d say right now most are being reasonable.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Difficult to take the long view when peering through the last 20 years.  I dont see the needle firmly pointing up either.  

I see no needle pointing up yet either and it hasn't for a long time. I guess my expectations of 20 plus win season and ncaa berth are clearly out of whack. I guess we are just suppose to love the style of play win or lose. Its all for just fun i guess 

26 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I respect you totally. I’m a big fan of Archie and want him to succeed and back him completely until end of next season to look at it all. But I have to point out there isn’t a soul in this thread saying “because we simply lost to Arkansas at home our program is doomed or the season is shot or we can determine everything about this team.” I see people in this thread, pointing out concerning trends that were there last year that followed with a horrible finish and appear to be the same as last year.

I don’t see that as overreacting, that’s just rational observation and conversation for a sports message board.

there are outliers on both sides but I’d say right now most are being reasonable.

The biggest problem with our fan base- knowledge!

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hoosier Nation

Tired of the ongoing back and forth as to whether CAM is capable. I would rather watch this team lose playing his style than to watch the fast pace, 20 turnovers that represented the previous regime 

CAM's style is fast paced.  He runs a Phoenix fast break on any non basket change of possessions and a Carolina as a secondary on made buckets.  I have watched him since Dayton and have been to clinics where he presented (many years ago) and he spoke to this.  Morgan joked around in his senior speech he wasn't excited at first with the want to run, but was sold on desire for defense.

CAMs teams are supposed to be defense first, and seeing the struggles with D made the loss tough to watch.  

Like you I like his style, when are we going to see it consistently is the question.  It's a fair question and I WANT this team to take on CAMs personality and style.  Hopefully it will click soon.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hoosier Nation

I disagree but to each their own opinion.

43 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

CAM's style is faced paced.  He runs a Phoenix fast break on any non basket change of possessions and a Carolina as a secondary on made buckets.  I have watched him since Dayton and have been to clinics where he presented (many years ago) and he spoke to this.  Morgan joked around in his senior speech he wasn't excited at first with the want to run, but was sold on desire for defense.

CAMs teams are supposed to be defense first, and seeing the struggles with D made the loss tough to watch.  

Like you I like his style, when are we going to see it consistently is the question.  It's a fair question and I WANT this team to take on CAMs personality and style.  Hopefully it will click soon.

I wouldn't really call his style fast paced.  He might want his teams to get out and run some, but his pace and transition offenses usually come in right around the middle of the pack.  I'd actually like to see us get out and run more than we do.  We've been really effective at it this year with the 39th best effective FG% in transition at 61.2% compared to 49.7% not in transition.  Last year we were 311th best though.  These numbers are out of 353 teams.

147th in possessions per game (182nd last year, 252nd his first year, 198th his last year at Dayton)

163rd in % of shots in transition (55th last year, 159th his first year, 66th his last year at Dayton)

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I wouldn't really call his style fast paced.  He might want his teams to get out and run some, but his pace and transition offenses usually come in right around the middle of the pack.  I'd actually like to see us get out and run more than we do.  We've been really effective at it this year with the 39th best effective FG% in transition at 61.2% compared to 49.7% not in transition.  Last year we were 311th best though.  These numbers are out of 353 teams.

147th in possessions per game (182nd last year, 252nd his first year, 198th his last year at Dayton)

163rd in % of shots in transition (55th last year, 159th his first year, 66th his last year at Dayton)

Yes, and that is a struggle for this group transition offense and defense.  Archie wants to run you can see it on the sideline as he tells the group to get going.  Recruits mention it and that is what many like.  For some reason this team struggles.  Archie has always taught to get the best look before the D set's up.  They struggle with that, which is surprising considering his philosophy. 

9 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Yes, and that is a struggle for this group transition offense and defense.  Archie wants to run you can see it on the sideline as he tells the group to get going.  Recruits mention it and that is what many like.  For some reason this team struggles.  Archie has always taught to get the best look before the D set's up.  They struggle with that, which is surprising considering his philosophy. 

He’s recruited for this style.  Envision Hunter and Anderson as  knockdown shooters running to opposite wings, TJD sprinting to the rim and RP centering the ball on the break. Due to health and other reasons, we haven’t seen it yet. Hopefully it happens 

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He’s recruited for this style.  Envision Hunter and Anderson as  knockdown shooters running to opposite wings, TJD sprinting to the rim and RP centering the ball on the break. Due to health and other reasons, we haven’t seen it yet. Hopefully it happens 

I’m theory I agree with you. Idk if I’d say Hunter was recruited to be a “knock down” shooter tho. Not coming out of HS. Maybe I’m remembering wrong

10 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

It's called BBall IQ.....

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’m theory I agree with you. Idk if I’d say Hunter was recruited to be a “knock down” shooter tho. Not coming out of HS. Maybe I’m remembering wrong

Hunter is both a slashing wing and a shooter, not an "elite" 3-point shooter but a good shooter with the form to make him a very good shooter. The lost season has really taken its toll, the sooner he can get his full game back and adjust to the college game (a redshirt frosh) the better for the team, it really, really needs his wing offense.

He's still shaking the rust off.  There are times you can see his athleticism.   I'd like to see Hunter really work on moving without the ball.  I think if you get him on the move to get good looks, he can score from all three levels.  Fingers crossed on his health.

Regarding Damezi, ironically he is the opposite of a 3 and D guy.  I like his motor and hustle.  He will scrap for a board, hustle on D, etc.  His shot does not remotely look good to me.  We know he can shoot but he's not looking good with his shot.  It's not like he's getting in-and-outs.  He is clanging them.  My hope is that he can be a reliable shooter as an upperclassman when he's more comfortable with the size, speed and athleticism of this level. I suspect he's pressing on his shot.  I like his attitude out there a lot, though, because of how he scraps.

Archived