Arkansas post game

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I remember back in the day when Coach Knight sat the starters and played the 2nd string in a nationally televised game at Illinois. I believe he did it to show to the starters how to play with intensity and within the structured offense. I believe Alford was very upset with Knight but it ended up having a positive effect on the starters. I would of yanked his hind end out of the game, gave him a royal butt chewing and sent him to the end of the bench. What is the worst thing that could of happened? I think we lost anyway.

Wasn't that the year that led to "Season on the Brink?" I remember reading about that in Knight's book. He was pleased with the effort of the freshmen even though it was a double digit loss. Then later that year, Illinois came to our place and beat us worse with the starters playing regular minutes. 

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Wasn't that the year that led to "Season on the Brink?" I remember reading about that in Knight's book. He was pleased with the effort of the freshmen even though it was a double digit loss. Then later that year, Illinois came to our place and beat us worse with the starters playing regular minutes. 

It might of been. I just remember seeing the starters on the bench and wondering what was going through their minds. A nationally televised game against a big time rival and your hind end is glued to the bench. You felt bad for them but in my opinion they earned the discipline they were being given.

Three players in my opinion that need some serious attitude adjustment. Green, Smith and Durham. All three of them are supposed to be upperclassmen and leaders on this team. Instead they are mental midgets with absolutely no ability to lead and make their teammates better. Green will be gone this year and I really hope Smith and Durham transfer. DeRon Davis has valid reasons for his performance. Due to injury he is a shell of himself. He has more heart in his ruptured Achilles than the other three combined. 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In the Florida St post game press conference, JS was asked what he says to DG when he gets on a shooting roll. JS said, “keep shooting but don’t take bad shots”. DG said, “there are no bad shots”. JS rolled his eyes, half smiled and said “OK” sarcastically 

At least he doesn't lack confidence.

3 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

And maybe, just maybe, Archie isn't the right guy? Personally, I don't believe this, and I would agree that it's too early to make that determination, but some of you are completely incapable of even considering it. 

We all have to consider that and I for one did not like the hire in the first place but I am willing to give him more than 2.5 years

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know many of you dislike Dakich but he said something today that really made sense.  In discussing one of the bone hear passes DG made and DD said the problem is that DG thought it was ok to make that pass. There was no fear of coming out or of what happened if play was not successful.  I believe all playere should play with at least some fear. 

Well he did get benched a couple of times right after those plays.  the problem is when Al was not there we only had two other guards so he had to come back in.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Why does it have to be point guard. Many teams have several guy that can handle the point. To he honest at that stage we were no worse playing 5 on 4.  If a coach is afraid to pull a player to send a message we have much bigger problems. I would rather see AF and RP maybe stink it up than to allow a Senior to continue to make plays like we have witnessed for 4 years. 

Like I said earlier when I heard Leary talking about how today's kids don't respond to the old style coaching and it is just not t IU

48 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I remember back in the day when Coach Knight sat the starters and played the 2nd string in a nationally televised game at Illinois. I believe he did it to show to the starters how to play with intensity and within the structured offense. I believe Alford was very upset with Knight but it ended up having a positive effect on the starters. I would of yanked his hind end out of the game, gave him a royal butt chewing and sent him to the end of the bench. What is the worst thing that could of happened? I think we lost anyway.

Well that was in the 85 season and we ended up in the NIT so did that really help

47 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I remember that well. A few buddies and I bet on the Hoosiers that day, went to a sports bar to watch and about threw up when the starting lineup was announced. It was one of a few early gambling lessons/cures I received :)

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well that was in the 85 season and we ended up in the NIT so did that really help

I think we went to the NIT finals and lost  to UCLA, went to the NCAA tournament the next year and then won the National Championship.  I think it helped more than you realize. This team continues to do the same dumb things over and over and over. 

2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

You can't just "put anyone in" at PG. 

not to hammer you but you just say ridiculously stupid things most of the time. when knight was asked who should be taken in the first round he said Jordan. The guy then said but the team needs a center. Knight responded by saying draft Jordan and play him at center.

also, we are always hearing that basketball is becoming position-less so YES you can just put anyone in at PG. Good grief. 

come on man. i get being argumentative just to annoy people or whatever, but you are just showing you have no idea what you are talking about. It's like @Billingsley99 said, you can't let the inmates run the asylum. it worked out really well regarding the hiring of Mike Davis didn't it?

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Don't bring facts into this discussion because some of them don't care LOL!

We were around 12-2 at this point last year and people were pointing out we had some issues that needed cleaned up.  Many of those issues are similar to what we have this year.  We proceeded to lose a dozen games in a row after that.  11-2 is not that impressive to me against our schedule to this point.  7 of the 11 wins were against absolute garbage teams.

You also say that people cannot face facts...well those are facts for you too.  Other facts, you blame guard play and injuries to RP and yet we left 2 scholarships unfilled.  Probably could have used a scoring wing or another guard on this team huh?  Our $3 million a year coach apparently did not think so as he decided that nothing was better than pulling in a mid major transfer.  Could have used a non walk on player to make a point to Green last night don't you think.

Also, after 2.5 years we are not 11-2.  You do not get to erase the prior 2 years from the start this year.  We are 46-32 (.590) overall and 18-22 (.450) in conference.  Let's see what he can do over the next 12 games.  That is the meat of our schedule.  That 11-2 could turn into 15-10 really quick.

Reading through all of these posts and both sides have great arguments.  We are a starving fan base and I’m afraid that if success isn’t found in the next 5-10 years (that may be too long) the once proud fan base and program will be basically gone.  There is not one person on here that wants Archie to fail, not one.  I’m not his biggest supporter but I’d eat an ocean full of crow if he proves me wrong and so would others.  On a positive note Alabama, Clemson, and even Notre Dame (to a lesser degree) all brought back their respective programs from the darkest of days.  Let’s hope Archie turns it around, but if he doesn’t let’s hope the new President and new AD figure out who we need to get us back to our glory days. And let’s hope it’s before I freaking die!!!

2 hours ago, hoosiermd said:

not to hammer you but you just say ridiculously stupid things most of the time. when knight was asked who should be taken in the first round he said Jordan. The guy then said but the team needs a center. Knight responded by saying draft Jordan and play him at center.

also, we are always hearing that basketball is becoming position-less so YES you can just put anyone in at PG. Good grief. 

come on man. i get being argumentative just to annoy people or whatever, but you are just showing you have no idea what you are talking about. It's like @Billingsley99 said, you can't let the inmates run the asylum. it worked out really well regarding the hiring of Mike Davis didn't it?

Take the best player without any doubt.  Jordan was a once in a lifetime type of player.

Position-less is really a way at telling 6'6", 6'8" or over players that they can play the perimeter and be part of ball handling drills.  When the opportunity comes bring the ball up the court.  Read and react offenses with 5 out or 41 utilize this.  You still have the player that can put the ball on the hip and get everyone in the correct position.  A player that can bring the ball to the free throw line or beyond  on most possessions under and in control. That is your traditional point, scoring point, or complete combo guard.  In college it is more important, at least to me, than in the NBA if you have a stacked team.

My favorite IU teams have a solid point from Yogi, Hulls, Perry, Coverdale, Strickland, Lewis, Guyton, Bailey, both Thomas's.

Anyhow I will repeat what coach Sampson said while at IU....you are only as good as your point guard and Big.  I also beleive that.

Personally, on this team I like Rob and Franklin at point and allowing Al and Green to be off the ball.  Hopefully we see a healthy Rob as the kid seems terrific and has battled injury after injury.  Franklin plays with an edge that I enjoy watching.  Al is being asked to do alot, and he is handling it and his best role is off the ball.  Green is the kid you want; however, coming off of pins and at the wings.  

Just some thoughts and I did not read the conversation just the thought on posion-less and not needing a point.

By the way you will not find a bigger Bulls fan during the Jordan area.  BIG fan of unsung heros Ron Harper, Craig Hodges, BJ Armstrong, Paxson.  Pippen in my opinion changed the SF position and does not get the credit deserved.  Jordan I bet can still play. :)

I just want to add, I work with a young guy that is friends with a cheerleader and knows a couple players on the womens team.  It is his opinion/word on the street, from things he has heard,  that Archie and Devonte dont like each other on a personal level and Archie cannot stand the way DG plays.  Justin Smith is salvageable.

The upperclassmen are Crean recruits the underclassmen are Archie's recruits.  It's like oil and water.  Is it Archie's fault he cant change them?  I dont know.  

But, give CAM a team of Sr Rob(hopefully healthy), So.Leal, Jr.Jerome, So.Geronimo, So. Galloway, and whatever big we have at the time and see what happens.  

It might take until year 5....if he gets it. 

I want CAM to succeed because another coaching change...umm. I dont want to there tonight. 

43 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I just want to add, I work with a young guy that is friends with a cheerleader and knows a couple players on the womens team.  It is his opinion/word on the street, from things he has heard,  that Archie and Devonte dont like each other on a personal level and Archie cannot stand the way DG plays.  Justin Smith is salvageable.

The upperclassmen are Crean recruits the underclassmen are Archie's recruits.  It's like oil and water.  Is it Archie's fault he cant change them?  I dont know.  

But, give CAM a team of Sr Rob(hopefully healthy), So.Leal, Jr.Jerome, So.Geronimo, So. Galloway, and whatever big we have at the time and see what happens.  

I want CAM to succeed because another coaching change...umm. I dont want to there tonight. 

Hammer meet nail. Great.post!

47 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well DG would be oil and water with any coach not assigned to the Harlem Globetrotters so...

54 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Then ask him to leave, seriously.  It is too late now but if there was really an issue, that should have been dealt with a few years ago.  Tired of this all being put on the players.  Miller gets paid $3 million a year to lead, he needs to flipping lead the team.  Sometimes leadership means calling it quits on something that is not working.  Every player on this team is here because Archie wanted them here.  Green is an Archie problem.  Period.

18 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Then ask him to leave, seriously.  It is too late now but if there was really an issue, that should have been dealt with a few years ago.  Tired of this all being put on the players.  Miller gets paid $3 million a year to lead, he needs to flipping lead the team.  Sometimes leadership means calling it quits on something that is not working.  Every player on this team is here because Archie wanted them here.  Green is an Archie problem.  Period.

I agree Archie keeping him is part of the problem, not having having the b@!!$ to tell the administration to F&$k off.  We should have McKinley Wright here. I love RoB but he cant do it as all by himself.  

Our program problems started with Myles Brand. Period.

24 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I agree Archie keeping him is part of the problem, not having having the b@!!$ to tell the administration to F&$k off.  We should have McKinley Wright here. I love RoB but he cant do it as all by himself.  

Our program problems started with Myles Brand. Period.

Brand got the cart going down the hill and everyone else has taken turns trying to either slow it down and or stop it.

if there is any ONE human being that should shoulder more blame than anyone ever for IU Hoops it’s Myles Brand. He is pure and simply the Anti-Christ of IU Hoops.

Archived