Arkansas post game

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally caught up with this thread, and thought I'd add my 1 cent.  2 cents might be giving myself too much credit!

1. The time to pull Green wasn't last night, it was numerous times the last 2.5 years.  So many people called for Archie to use the bench, and walk ons if needed, the last 2 years when Green, Smith, or anyone else made stupid mistakes.  I think the lack of using the bench as a teacher then is part of why we still see so many boneheaded plays from Green.
  2. I laugh when people talk trash about Crean to try to make Archie sound better.  You do realize that Crean took over literally nothing and in year 4 we were probably playing like a top 5 team going into the tournament, and in year 5 we were ranked #1 longer than any team in the country.  Can anybody really say they expect those results the next 2 seasons?  Obviously there is a ton more that goes into things than 1 or 2 seasons, just makes me laugh.
  3. I couldn't care less what Bob Knight thinks about a coach.  Anybody who watched any games he broadcasted knows how out of touch with reality he is.
  4. I hate the coach comparisons.  When comparing Archie to Coach K, Bennett, etc., tell me what they returned, what injuries they had, how their starting lineups looked, what their substitution patterns were, how they adjusted at half time, what style they ran and how they adjusted it to their opponents, what recruits they were in on that they missed on, etc.  Unless you can tell those things about other coaches like you can about Archie, the comparisons are useless.
  5. We need to figure out something to shoot better.  Is it recruits, is it practice, is it scheme, is it a combination?  Who knows, but we won't win in the long run without being able to shoot.
  6. A lot of the "overreactions over one game" aren't that.  People have been saying a lot of the same things for the last 2.5 years.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

Ha,

So your comparing Beard taking over Texas Tech to Davis being handed the reins to IU?
No, I wasn’t a Davis fan. 

In his 1st 2 years Davis took IU to a BTT championship game and a NCAA championship game...were you a Davis supporter?

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

OK fine....

Nostradamus, quatraine 48:

"When twenty years of the moon's reign have passed, another will take up his reign for seven thousand years.
When the exhausted sun takes up his cycle then my prophecy and threats will be accomplished.  As for Indiana's record in the B10 in 2019-20....the #$&+ do I look like, a fortune teller? "

C4F891D5-B57F-43CD-8F18-583DBAE1CD16.gif

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Maybe, just maybe, Arkansas is a pretty damn good team?

And maybe, just maybe, Archie isn't the right guy? Personally, I don't believe this, and I would agree that it's too early to make that determination, but some of you are completely incapable of even considering it. 

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Finally caught up with this thread, and thought I'd add my 1 cent.  2 cents might be giving myself too much credit!

1. The time to pull Green wasn't last night, it was numerous times the last 2.5 years.  So many people called for Archie to use the bench, and walk ons if needed, the last 2 years when Green, Smith, or anyone else made stupid mistakes.  I think the lack of using the bench as a teacher then is part of why we still see so many boneheaded plays from Green.
  2. I laugh when people talk trash about Crean to try to make Archie sound better.  You do realize that Crean took over literally nothing and in year 4 we were probably playing like a top 5 team going into the tournament, and in year 5 we were ranked #1 longer than any team in the country.  Can anybody really say they expect those results the next 2 seasons?  Obviously there is a ton more that goes into things than 1 or 2 seasons, just makes me laugh.
  3. I couldn't care less what Bob Knight thinks about a coach.  Anybody who watched any games he broadcasted knows how out of touch with reality he is.
  4. I hate the coach comparisons.  When comparing Archie to Coach K, Bennett, etc., tell me what they returned, what injuries they had, how their starting lineups looked, what their substitution patterns were, how they adjusted at half time, what style they ran and how they adjusted it to their opponents, what recruits they were in on that they missed on, etc.  Unless you can tell those things about other coaches like you can about Archie, the comparisons are useless.
  5. We need to figure out something to shoot better.  Is it recruits, is it practice, is it scheme, is it a combination?  Who knows, but we won't win in the long run without being able to shoot.
  6. A lot of the "overreactions over one game" aren't that.  People have been saying a lot of the same things for the last 2.5 years.

Agree plenty with #6. My gripes and complaints aren't about Archie or these players....it's the last 2 decades. I keep hearing some of the same stuff over and over and I'm just getting tired of it....and here we are 2.5 years in and I'm starting to see some puffs of good things....but also seeing puffs of decades past. Just makes me ticked.

Sure I would take 11-2 to start season. Most would. But we were 11-1 with an average to above average SEC team at home and we lose. That's not what I like to see. I'm ready for Maryland in another 24 hours. Talk about a fan base that is putting the heat on Turgeon....Terp fans want him gone yesterday. Maybe we sneak in on an early Saturday and steal one. 

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

IU fans would be saying he did it with Tubby Smith's players. :coffee:

Ha, they would even though 6/7 of the players on the championship roster, that averaged at least 5 points, never played for Tubby.

Beard did have a number of transfers. Not sure that is a long term strategy for success. Because of that he recruited 7 more players this year. Not sure that method will hold up but we will see.

Just now, AxnJxn said:

And maybe, just maybe, Archie isn't the right guy? Personally, I don't believe this, and I would agree that it's too early to make that determination, but some of you are completely incapable of even considering it. 

I think you're assuming that me, and others, aren't capable of considering it, when, in fact, I considered it in Year #1.   And, I still don't know.  My issue is that people are cherry-picking an 8 minute stretch of play to, yes, 'overreact' about a team that is 11-2.  And, as has been pointed out, that 11-2 is not as 'soft' as many would like to make it out to be.  

I'm defending the the position as strongly as I am because I think the other side is being absolutely over the top in their criticism.   

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Maybe, just maybe, Arkansas is a pretty damn good team?

I thought Arkansas was the best on the ball defensive team we've played this year.

And while their offense wasn't exactly uber-efficient, they had 2 guys that could make shots under duress and carry them...

27 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yeah.  i was thinking the same thing.  Roth's and Leary's aren't game changers.

Right but when on the floor defense had to respect him which opened up the middle. Has nothing to do with points it's all about the potential to shoot the ball. Would any team play like ARK did last night with a Roth on the court 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought Arkansas was the best on the ball defensive team we've played this year.

And while their offense wasn't exactly uber-efficient, they had 2 guys that could make shots under duress and carry them...

Thank you...we watched the same game.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

In his 1st 2 years Davis took IU to a BTT championship game and a NCAA championship game...were you a Davis supporter?

No,

I’m a fan of defense and ball movement and did not think he had a clue. His UK meltdown was an embarrassment. There is no way that should had been his first head coaching job.  Once he was given the job, however, it would have been nearly  impossible to fire him after going to the championship game.

Things did not get better (actually worse) during the “help is on the way” Bracey years.  Some of my worst memories were watching Bracey dribble, dribble, dribble, from 30 feet out and then throw up a 25 footer as time expired.

Archived