Arkansas post game

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I know many of you dislike Dakich but he said something today that really made sense.  In discussing one of the bone hear passes DG made and DD said the problem is that DG thought it was ok to make that pass. There was no fear of coming out or of what happened if play was not successful.  I believe all playere should play with at least some fear. 

Bingo!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know many of you dislike Dakich but he said something today that really made sense.  In discussing one of the bone hear passes DG made and DD said the problem is that DG thought it was ok to make that pass. There was no fear of coming out or of what happened if play was not successful.  I believe all playere should play with at least some fear. 

Dakich isn't saying anything mind blowing here. The problem last night was who do you put in if you yank him? AD was in the locker room, RP clearly isn't 100%, and AF is a freshman playing like a freshman. Someone has to play guard, and it's a game you kinda need to win for the tournament resume.

20 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Dakich isn't saying anything mind blowing here. The problem last night was who do you put in if you yank him? AD was in the locker room, RP clearly isn't 100%, and AF is a freshman playing like a freshman. Someone has to play guard, and it's a game you kinda need to win for the tournament resume.

So you let the inmates run the asylum.  Put anyone in to make a point. 

21 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

You can't just "put anyone in" at PG. 

Why does it have to be point guard. Many teams have several guy that can handle the point. To he honest at that stage we were no worse playing 5 on 4.  If a coach is afraid to pull a player to send a message we have much bigger problems. I would rather see AF and RP maybe stink it up than to allow a Senior to continue to make plays like we have witnessed for 4 years. 

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was listening and heard that too. Fear should be a major player....

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

.I think Justin Smith has come a long way in that regard...but some still, in my opinion, haven't bought in...

In the Florida St post game press conference, JS was asked what he says to DG when he gets on a shooting roll. JS said, “keep shooting but don’t take bad shots”. DG said, “there are no bad shots”. JS rolled his eyes, half smiled and said “OK” sarcastically 

28 minutes ago, Huntnfreak said:

I was listening and heard that too. Fear should be a major player....

Of course it should be. I was not a D1 player but my freshman year in HS invaded 3 on 2 drill I threw a pass at a guys feet he kicked it out of bounds. Coach said nothing.  25 minutes later he had us jump as high as we could and slap the back board to see how high we could get up. On my turn coach threw the ball right at my feet as I was going up, I fell face first on the floor. Coach said bad things happen when you throw the ball at someone's feet. Guess what I never threw another pass at a teammate feet again. I was afraid if he did that at practice in a game he might literally kill me. That was 30 years ago, still remember it very well. Point made. We saw that CAM was afraid of RL last year. 

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Why does it have to be point guard. Many teams have several guy that can handle the point. To he honest at that stage we were no worse playing 5 on 4.  If a coach is afraid to pull a player to send a message we have much bigger problems. I would rather see AF and RP maybe stink it up than to allow a Senior to continue to make plays like we have witnessed for 4 years. 

Seriously? Because someone has to play PG. We didn't have "several guys" last night. As noted before, Durham was out, RP wasn't 100%, and AF wasn't playing any better than DG. It's very easy to say to bench DG when he makes a bad pass, and I would be more than happy to see DG on the bench, but SOMEONE has to handle the basketball.

31 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There's a reason Dakich is not coaching anywhere. He knows basketball well enough to be a coach: he does not know people well enough. 

20 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Seriously? Because someone has to play PG. We didn't have "several guys" last night. As noted before, Durham was out, RP wasn't 100%, and AF wasn't playing any better than DG. It's very easy to say to bench DG when he makes a bad pass, and I would be more than happy to see DG on the bench, but SOMEONE has to handle the basketball.

Very serious.  In the age of position less basketball why does a guard have to replace a guard . DG at the top of the key killed us all night. I would rather see TJD at the top.  If DG is irreplaceable then Indiana basketball is much worse off than we all think 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very serious.  In the age of position less basketball why does a guard have to replace a guard . DG at the top of the key killed us all night. I would rather see TJD at the top.  If DG is irreplaceable then Indiana basketball is much worse off than we all think 

It's not just at the top of the key. Someone has to get the ball up the court. I get what you are saying in a way, and agree that fear can sometimes be a motivator, but it sure seems like that wasn't an option last night thanks to Durham's boneheaded elbow. I mean, it's entirely possible that AF was being benched for his poor play, too, and no one else has the ball handling skills or experience to handle the point. You have to have the personnel to play position-less basketball, and I'm sure there's a good reason why we don't have our 6'9" freshman center playing point.

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In the Florida St post game press conference, JS was asked what he says to DG when he gets on a shooting roll. JS said, “keep shooting but don’t take bad shots”. DG said, “there are no bad shots”. JS rolled his eyes, half smiled and said “OK” sarcastically 

I remember that...and I think that's part of the issue...

22 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

It's not just at the top of the key. Someone has to get the ball up the court. I get what you are saying in a way, and agree that fear can sometimes be a motivator, but it sure seems like that wasn't an option last night thanks to Durham's boneheaded elbow. I mean, it's entirely possible that AF was being benched for his poor play, too, and no one else has the ball handling skills or experience to handle the point. You have to have the personnel to play position-less basketball, and I'm sure there's a good reason why we don't have our 6'9" freshman center playing point.

I would rather lose with a freshman and sophomore than lose with a Senior that makes plays like that

25 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I am sure there is as well but also sure that the guy doing it last night as a Senior killed us. Do you really think AF or RP were worse options?

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would rather lose with a freshman and sophomore than lose with a Senior that makes plays like that

Yes, but come on...the game was still in doubt...had Archie done what you propose and we would have lost (which I think was highly likely at that point, DG was having a rough stretch, but so we're others) and we were in the same position at the end of the year as we were last year where one more win could have gotten us in, the uproar would be off the charts.

I am sure there is as well but also sure that the guy doing it last night as a Senior killed us. Do you really think AF or RP were worse options?

RP wasn't healthy. That's really not debatable, especially after he shot those two technical FTs, and I thought I read on this board that Archie pushed him to the limit medically. And did you see AF play last night? You can't bench everyone for poor play. Per usual, Dakich misses the real problem - Durham getting ejected on a night when we were clearly thin at guard, especially point.

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, but come on...the game was still in doubt...had Archie done what you propose and we would have lost (which I think was highly likely at that point, DG was having a rough stretch, but so we're others) and we were in the same position at the end of the year as we were last year where one more win could have gotten us in, the uproar would be off the charts.

As opposed to the on the charts uproar currently. CAM sure did have a lot of praise for AF after ND game .  The fans can see and recognize bad DG, dont think the uproar would be as bad as you think

I had a busy weekend and didn't watch the game.  In fact, I actually forgot it was on.  I cant imagine saying that in 2000 or 2005 or even 2010.  Call me a fair weather fan.  At some point you make decisions, even subconsciously, to focus on hobbies that bring some sort of satisfaction.  IU basketball is falling down the list for me sadly.  It's called apathy I guess. /insert eeyore picture here/

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

As opposed to the on the charts uproar currently. CAM sure did have a lot of praise for AF after ND game .  The fans can see and recognize bad DG, dont think the uproar would be as bad as you think

He was bad at the end...but he'd been good before that (even though I thought his shot selection sucked for the most part, even then)...and Franklin and Rob hadn't exactly burned it up, either...and I think the Razorback's defense had something to do with that...

I'm curious though...what makes you think CAM was afraid of Romeo Langford?

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just my 2 cents. Dakich makes those comments like it's Good Will Hunting formula solving. It's not. Depending on the timing of that pass it's when Al was out. What other choices did Archie have.

I like Dakich when he talks hoops....but that comment specifically isn't atom splitting. 

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He was bad at the end...but he'd been good before that (even though I thought his shot selection sucked for the most part, even then)...and Franklin and Rob hadn't exactly burned it up, either...and I think the Razorback's defense had something to do with that...

I'm curious though...what makes you think CAM was afraid of Romeo Langford?

I will go into detail tomorrow.  Its Daddy/Ayden time. Best part of my day!!

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

So you let the inmates run the asylum.  Put anyone in to make a point. 

I remember back in the day when Coach Knight sat the starters and played the 2nd string in a nationally televised game at Illinois. I believe he did it to show to the starters how to play with intensity and within the structured offense. I believe Alford was very upset with Knight but it ended up having a positive effect on the starters. I would of yanked his hind end out of the game, gave him a royal butt chewing and sent him to the end of the bench. What is the worst thing that could of happened? I think we lost anyway.

Archived