Arkansas post game

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I heard (maybe a post here from someone at the game) that the Arkansas guys were running their mouths and got under his skin past his breaking point.  It doesn't excuse it, obviously.  We have all been there in one form or another but it doesn't make it right.  That was costly, maybe even cost them the game.

AD let the ARK players bait him into an ejection. DG let Joe get into his head by trying to prove he's as good a shooter (he's not). JR and SR guards put themselves ahead of the team and cost the game. Unfortunately, with AD out, if you yank DG you only have two guards. This team started the season lacking guard depth and it will haunt them all year.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

You mean the Chris Beard that went to the Elite 8 his second year at TEXAS TECH and the Championship game his third year? I admire your tenacity when it comes to marriage but would pick on someone other than Beard.

Were you a Davis fan as well?

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

You mean the Chris Beard that went to the Elite 8 his second year at TEXAS TECH and the Championship game his third year? I admire your tenacity when it comes to marriage but would pick on someone other than Beard.

We're talking about this season, and an underachieving (supposedly) IU team and coach.  has Texas Tech been more successful the past few years than IU?  Certainly.  But, I find it totally mind-boggling that the IU fan base is going crazy in criticism over an 11-2 team.  

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If we would have lost to Florida State, but beat Arkansas yesterday, everyone would be happy today.  Instead, it appears our season is over and there is no hope unless we can convince a coach like Chris Beard, who has a worse record against a weaker schedule this season, to come to IU.

Do I have that right?  

Well, there is something to be said to improving as the season is going along, as opposed to taking a step backwards, which last night definitely was. It also doesn't help your point when Beard is coming off of a FF appearance at what is essentially a football school. 'Course, we're now a football school, so there's that.

You guys seem to think that you can only take one side here - either Archie needs more time, or he's not the right guy. It's entirely possible to think that both are possible at this point - Archie could get another 5 years and we could still be having the same problems, or he could get us back to respectability. It's completely valid to have either or both of those opinions at this point. Seems everyone's too busy drawing lines in the sand to truly see the valid points being made on both sides. 

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

AD let the ARK players bait him into an ejection. DG let Joe get into his head by trying to prove he's as good a shooter (he's not). JR and SR guards put themselves ahead of the team and cost the game. Unfortunately, with AD out, if you yank DG you only have two guards. This team started the season lacking guard depth and it will haunt them all year.

Good info.  It seems enough stuff happened last night that it can be a tremendous learning experience.  If we learn from what happened, it can benefit us down the stretch.

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, there is something to be said to improving as the season is going along, as opposed to taking a step backwards, which last night definitely was. It also doesn't help your point when Beard is coming off of a FF appearance at what is essentially a football school. 'Course, we're now a football school, so there's that.

So, did Chris Mack and Louisville take a step back when they lost to Kentucky on Saturday.  How about Chris Holtman and O$U losing to West Virginia yesterday.  Is their season spiralling out of control.

The fact is that every college basketball team since 1976 has lost at least one game, 99.5% of them have lost games they should have won.  Last night's loss means nothing more at this point other than the difference between 11-2 and 12-1.  But, people are making it out to be a sign of the apocalypse.  

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I wish there was another point guard on the team. I know Archie recruited Garland but I wish he would have gotten a backup to Phinisee like Dean Tate. I know he doesn't measure up but I think there is always room on your roster for a kid who is a winner. Point guard on the undefeated state champ who played his best ball in the state tourney. Too small at 5'8 but was all state in football and b ball. Scored a game high 22 points in the championship game, including 12-13 FT's in the 4th qtr. Seems like he could help stabilize the team in those moments when things (Green) get off track.  Unbelievable that no team offered him.

12 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

IU fans would be saying he did it with Tubby Smith's players. :coffee:

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

So, did Chris Mack and Louisville take a step back when they lost to Kentucky on Saturday.  How about Chris Holtman and O$U losing to West Virginia yesterday.  Is their season spiralling out of control.

The fact is that every college basketball team since 1976 has lost at least one game, 99.5% of them have lost games they should have won.  Last night's loss means nothing more at this point other than the difference between 11-2 and 12-1.  But, people are making it out to be a sign of the apocalypse.  

For me, it's how they lost. This team lacks scoring. To be successful, they need 15 per game from DG. But if that 15/game comes with selfish play, low percentage shots and careless, costly TOs, this could spiral down quickly. It seemed for a while that DG was buying in, but that situation has regressed badly.

Just now, 5fouls said:

No, people are seeing the same problems we've seen the last two years, that I mentioned in another post. There are good losses and bad losses. Losing to a ranked team who is your main rival in OT on their court isn't a bad loss (you're using another really poor example here). Losing to an unranked team on your home court is, especially when you blow a double digit lead and have yet another stretch of offensive ineptitude, which is what plagued us last year, too. If we end up where we were last year, on the bubble (again), this could be a very significant loss. 

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

No, people are seeing the same problems we've seen the last two years, that I mentioned in another post. There are good losses and bad losses. Losing to a ranked team who is your main rival in OT on their court isn't a bad loss (you're using another really poor example here). Losing to an unranked team on your home court is, especially when you blow a double digit lead and have yet another stretch of offensive ineptitude, which is what plagued us last year, too. If we end up where we were last year, on the bubble (again), this could be a very significant loss. 

Once again, not giving Arky credit.

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

For me, it's how they lost. This team lacks scoring. To be successful, they need 15 per game from DG. But if that 15/game comes with selfish play, low percentage shots and careless, costly TOs, this could spiral down quickly. It seemed for a while that DG was buying in, but that situation has regressed badly.

But, my point is that the IU fan base probably does not know HOW Ohio State lost yesterday,  We were too busy worrying about ourselves.  OSU could have lost in much the same manner.  It happens to every single team.  Sometimes you survive and sometimes you don't.  In the end, we're still 11-2 with a schedule that is comparable to several of the coaches/teams we're comparing IU/Archie against.

Just now, 5fouls said:

But, my point is that the IU fan base probably does not know HOW Ohio State lost yesterday,  We were too busy worrying about ourselves.  OSU could have lost in much the same manner.  It happens to every single team.  Sometimes you survive and sometimes you don't.  In the end, we're still 11-2 with a schedule that is comparable to several of the coaches/teams we're comparing IU/Archie against.

Didn’t they have over 20 turnovers in that game?

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What is bad is that we will probably have to have this same discussion after every loss because of the over reaction to losses.

Come on, you know that's not true.  If we lose 68-64 on the road against a solid team, people will  be disappointed but be at peace with it.  People are up in arms over last night because of how it happened.  From Durham's ejection, to Davis (who they probably couldn't stop) running over people like a dump truck, to the ill-advised play down the stretch, there are real, tangible things to point to.

Regarding Davis, he has turned in as bad of a performance over a several game period that you can imagine.  I think he can help us in situations if he gets it together.   

5 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

824F519E-DD6B-458B-9E2E-67AE72290B45.jpeg

OK fine....

Nostradamus, quatraine 48:

"When twenty years of the moon's reign have passed, another will take up his reign for seven thousand years.
When the exhausted sun takes up his cycle then my prophecy and threats will be accomplished.  As for Indiana's record in the B10 in 2019-20....the #$&+ do I look like, a fortune teller? "

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I wish there was another point guard on the team. I know Archie recruited Garland but I wish he would have gotten a backup to Phinisee like Dean Tate. I know he doesn't measure up but I think there is always room on your roster for a kid who is a winner. Point guard on the undefeated state champ who played his best ball in the state tourney. Too small at 5'8 but was all state in football and b ball. Scored a game high 22 points in the championship game, including 12-13 FT's in the 4th qtr. Seems like he could help stabilize the team in those moments when things (Green) get off track.  Unbelievable that no team offered him.

Interesting point, and also interesting that we didn't push hard enough for a guy like Pack or somebody else to come in and help on the point for next year.  There's still time.  I hope we get a veteran guard at the least who is stable.

Archived