Coronavirus

Reacher

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm done after this post. 

You and @Hoosierhoopsterare assuming something that is simply not true.  Criticizing false information is not political.  DEFENDING false information is.

I voted in the Indiana primary this Tuesday.  Care to guess which party's ballot I filled out?  Based on your post above and Hoopsters ongoing crusade, you both would be wrong.

As I said, I'm done.  I will engage in facts only and if people want to discuss those, I'll be happy to do so.  

Sorry, I should have been clear that i wasn’t speaking about you....just in general. It wasn’t my intention to put you in a corner because I personally don’t like that ‘culture’. I admittadley was not paying attention to the conversation about DC numbers, simply because I just don’t care. And I don’t even mind posts made about media in context to a specific conversation. But there have been some posts bashing media that aren’t in context to a specific conversation - posts that are political but under the guise of ‘the media’ - posts that you can’t reply to without getting into political weeds. It’s not that they bother me personally it’s just that you can’t reply to them with out getting your hand slapped. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Seems to me the handcuffs are getting a little tight in here.  We got things happening in this land of ours that deserves attention.  But discussion about them from a bunch of IU fans is getting censored and called out.  TBH, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Sorry, I should have been clear that i wasn’t speaking about you....just in general. It wasn’t my intention to put you in a corner because I personally don’t like that ‘culture’. I admittadley was not paying attention to the conversation about DC numbers, simply because I just don’t care. And I don’t even mind posts made about media in context to a specific conversation. But there have been some posts bashing media that aren’t in context to a specific conversation - posts that are political but under the guise of ‘the media’ - posts that you can’t reply to without getting into political weeds. It’s not that they bother me personally it’s just that you can’t reply to them with out getting your hand slapped. 

Thank you for the response.  I'm perfectly okay accepting criticism when it is warranted.  But, on this one, I'm honestly bent out of sorts.  Yes, I was critical of a media story about the DC numbers, but it was a shrill headline with no details once it was opened.  I supported my arguments with facts from other trusted media sources and another poster responded with his 'own' data.  i asked him for his source and several days later still don't have one.  So, when I get smacked for supplying verifiable information and someone that simply throws something out there that has no foundation does not, I take offense to that. 

If someone disagrees with me, that's fine.  Provide factual information that supports the position.  I love a good debate.  But, I ask that person not to get mad or defensive just because they disagree..

• Like 3

Maybe @rico can provide some insight.  I would, around me, say maybe 20% of fields are planted. Most havent even been touched. One of my wifes clients and her husband own 500 acres outside Columbus.  He was talking about his farmers having trouble getting seed because of coronavirus.  And corn prices are down, ethanol production down.  At rural today 1 gallon jug of 80% alcohol was $42.  

The downstream effects of this economic shutdown worry me some. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Maybe @rico can provide some insight.  I would, around me, say maybe 20% of fields are planted. Most havent even been touched. One of my wifes clients and her husband own 500 acres outside Columbus.  He was talking about his farmers having trouble getting seed because of coronavirus.  And corn prices are down, ethanol production down.  At rural today 1 gallon jug of 80% alcohol was $42.  

The downstream effects of this economic shutdown worry me some. 

Everything is planted/being planted around me.  As far as the seed, we buy ours in the fall after harvest.

• Thanks 1

I find it interesting to compare current numbers to the same day of the week in previous weeks.  It does not make sense to compare a Sunday to a Wednesday, for instance, because not everyone reports consistently on the weekends.

New U.S. cases over last 5 Thursdays

• June 11th - 23,300
  • June 4th - 22,268
  • May 28th - 22,658
  • May 21st - 28,175
  • May 14th - 27,246
  • May 7th - 29,162

New U.S. deaths over last 5 Thursdays

• June 11th - 904
  • June 4th - 1,031
  • May 28th - 1,223
  • May 21st - 1,411
  • May 14th - 1,753
  • May 7th - 2,129

Not as fast as we would like, but appears to be steady progress.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rico said:

Seems to me the handcuffs are getting a little tight in here.  We got things happening in this land of ours that deserves attention.  But discussion about them from a bunch of IU fans is getting censored and called out.  TBH, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Understandable — we all want to talk about important current events — but we’re not going to talk politics here, and frankly that’s a good thing. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

I’m with you.  I like talking to you guys about all this stuff as we all have a good rapport.  Let’s be honest, this is a smart crew, far above average,.  We don’t have to agree.  

Apart from this board, I feel like our parents’ generation could disagree pleasantly and laugh it off if need be.  They were real adults.  Now people get triggered easily.   It’s both sides because extremists generate an agenda via social media or whatever.  

Having said that, back to our board, I think most posts in here have been within bounds but a few went off the deep end.  That makes it tough on the mods who have shown good restraint and judgement in letting discussion flow until it gets to a point.  Anybody here is reasonable but we can all have our moments, myself included.  2020 sucks and it’s a stressful time.  It’s human to get riled up.  I’d say if an of us get riled up we should try to back off.  

One thing that is hilarious is when two people can’t agree on anything relative to basketball, but then are two peas in a pea pod with some of the stuff in this forum. And vice-versa!   It’s awesome when that happens.  

Rico, I agree with you.  Ideally we could discuss the events we are all facing. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Understandable — we all want to talk about important current events — but we’re not going to talk politics here, and frankly that’s a good thing. 

I feel its partially my fault.  I took the bait.  Should  have known better. Didnt intend it to be political. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I feel its partially my fault.  I took the bait.  Should  have known better. Didnt intend it to be political. 

No worries and wasn’t pointing to you, all of us are likely to react to politically based posts because all of us have strong views on various political topics

As this thread reflects everyone can get crosswise fast on politics.

We have a nice community here of die hard IU b-ball fans. Disagreeing on basketball is all good, but when you throw politics into the fire it angers many and we really don’t want to be alienating anyone. I’m sure I’ve pissed off a few people with the way I’ve responded — but that’s the point, and not where we want to be going here. Peace out 

• Thanks 1

I took some heat for posting an article where an Italian Dr said the potency of COVID may be declining. Well now US Dr's are saying the same. https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/06/04/upmc-gives-update-on-coronavirus/?_gl=1*1jufmle*_ga*MTFoX3pZTy0wU0Z4YVc3QlNDdWZtTk1XeUVuQWxKMDkyb1J2cFBld0h5T0ZBZHBSbnU2S2ZuNWFQMklrU0hFMw..

Yes, it's only the opinion of one Dr/ hospital so take it FWIW. 

I hope everyone can be more open minded and look at all sources for relevant information. I get a lot of useful information from posters on this board and would hate for some, myself included, not to feel comfortable bringing relevant, non political, info to a topic for fear it might ruffle some feathers. As @BobSaccamannosaid above, let's disagree pleasantly about who our next recruit should be or where a member happens to see a news story. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Let me see....we are not allowed to talk politics because they are well...politics.  We can't talk racial tensions because well...that delves into politics.  We cannot talk covid because that gets into...well, politics.  We can't cite media sources because...well that gets into politics.  Seems to me that a lot of "interpretations" are...well, getting into politics.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

Let me see....we are not allowed to talk politics because they are well...politics.  We can't talk racial tensions because well...that delves into politics.  We cannot talk covid because that gets into...well, politics.  We can't cite media sources because...well that gets into politics.  Seems to me that a lot of "interpretations" are...well, getting into politics.  

Is the pushback really necessary?

Obviously no one said we can’t talk Covid here, just, obviously, not true. 

Right, can’t talk politics here, if you want to do that there are lots of other sites to do so. The racial tensions thread unfortunately devolved into clear party line politics.

It’s obviously difficult for people to get into that topic without speaking their politics, in what is unfortunately a very divided country, and this being a basketball site for IU fans that we’ve built here for everyone, over years, we’re not going to set up this site for political vitriol. 

No one said, either, that you can’t cite media sources generally. To be honest with you, this just looks like a post to stir the hornets nest, and isn’t appreciated. We’ve had to deal with upset people, angry PM’s, etc, because some of these posts have, clearly, been pulled from agenda-driven sources, some clearly stating false information, etc. I am not going to keep explaining that here.

If you or Reacher or anyone else really want to keep asking why we are not going to allow politics here, or to get some clarity, you can pm any of the mods at any time. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Is the pushback really necessary?

Obviously no one said we can’t talk Covid here, just, obviously, not true. 

Right, can’t talk politics here, if you want to do that there are lots of other sites to do so. The racial tensions thread unfortunately devolved into clear party line politics.

It’s obviously difficult for people to get into that topic without speaking their politics, in what is unfortunately a very divided country, and this being a basketball site for IU fans that we’ve built here for everyone, over years, we’re not going to set up this site for political vitriol. 

No one said, either, that you can’t cite media sources generally. To be honest with you, this just looks like a post to stir the hornets nest, and isn’t appreciated. We’ve had to deal with upset people, angry PM’s, etc, because some of these posts have, clearly, been pulled from agenda-driven sources, some clearly stating false information, etc. I am not going to keep explaining that here.

If you or Reacher or anyone else really want to keep asking why we are not going to allow politics here, or to get some clarity, you can pm any of the mods at any time. 

Why am I dragged into this? Have I ever said I want to talk politics in this thread? I did ask you to pm me if you had an issue with anything I've said and I never heard anything. 

Well, we are going to try and have a live Church service this morning, albeit outside with everyone practicing safe distancing! Those who are concerned are encouraged to stay home and watch virtually. Anyone with symptoms are not welcome on site but again encouraged to watch virtually. Another step towards a more normal life!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Well, we are going to try and have a live Church service this morning, albeit outside with everyone practicing safe distancing! Those who are concerned are encouraged to stay home and watch virtually. Anyone with symptoms are not welcome on site but again encouraged to watch virtually. Another step towards a more normal life!

The church my 89 year old mother-in-law attends, had live services this morning. She really misses her friends, but will not be attending for a while.

• Like 1

I went to our church service today and you had to sign up before hand to let them know you wee going to be there.  They limited how many people could come in and they had the chairs 3 or 4 together with a big distance between each set of chairs.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Reacher said:

More and more people coming out saying the virus is weakening. Not as many people getting it and, for those who do, it is not as severe. Italy, Spain, multiple US Drs... Not just some lone Dr anymore.   https://asunow.asu.edu/20200505-asu-scientific-team-finds-new-unique-mutation-coronavirus-study

Something is happening. Virys changing, better treatments? I am not going to pretend to have the answer.

But the number of cases have syed fairly steady, maybe a slight decrease.

The number of deaths is showing a clear decline.

It is still gdangerous, contagious and potentially deadly. So we need to keep our guard up. But it is something.

Screenshot_20200608-091703_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200608-091723_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reacher said:

More and more people coming out saying the virus is weakening. Not as many people getting it and, for those who do, it is not as severe. Italy, Spain, multiple US Drs... Not just some lone Dr anymore.   https://asunow.asu.edu/20200505-asu-scientific-team-finds-new-unique-mutation-coronavirus-study

I posted an article last month about a study finding something similar; the virus breaking out into different strains or mutations. At the time I was wondering aloud if this is why the strain that spread in Europe and eventually on the East Coast, seemed to be worse than the one in Asia, which spread on our West Coast. 

There was a bunch of sciencey talk in that article: just to make I'm understanding it correctly (in summary). The virus seems to be shedding genomes as it mutates? And this is similar to how SARS behaved before it went away? If so, I always thought that SARS was contained because it was as infectious and as wide spread. (if anybody has any knowledge into that).

Either way this is definitely a best case scenario; that I hope will play out to be correct. I'm in this stage of anxiety where I'm crossing my fingers for any easy way out, but not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

Something is happening. Virys changing, better treatments? I am not going to pretend to have the answer.

But the number of cases have syed fairly steady, maybe a slight decrease.

The number of deaths is showing a clear decline.

It is still gdangerous, contagious and potentially deadly. So we need to keep our guard up. But it is something.

Screenshot_20200608-091703_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200608-091723_Chrome.jpg

I'm just going to guess that it's the effects of social distancing and being careful. Maybe NYC's skew the overall picture too? I think it'd be interesting to see a curve that eliminates NYC. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2 weeks after all the protests and more states opening up. I'd love to see it keep going down. 

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I posted an article last month about a study finding something similar; the virus breaking out into different strains or mutations. At the time I was wondering aloud if this is why the strain that spread in Europe and eventually on the East Coast, seemed to be worse than the one in Asia, which spread on our West Coast. 

There was a bunch of sciencey talk in that article: just to make I'm understanding it correctly (in summary). The virus seems to be shedding genomes as it mutates? And this is similar to how SARS behaved before it went away? If so, I always thought that SARS was contained because it was as infectious and as wide spread. (if anybody has any knowledge into that).

Either way this is definitely a best case scenario; that I hope will play out to be correct. I'm in this stage of anxiety where I'm crossing my fingers for any easy way out, but not holding my breath. 

SARS was definitely caught earlier, and contained much more effectively, early on. Blame China. WHO, whoever. But it is clearly the case.

It is also true that SARS mutated itself to a place it basically self eradicated itself.

There is caution that needs to be practiced. Viruses constantly mutate. 99% of the mutations cause little or no change in how the virus behaves.

Although a virus can mutate and weaken itself, it can also mutate and become significantly more dangerous. 

These constant mutations is also a reason making vaccines can be tricky. The scientists have to study evety mutation and ensure their vaccine attacks the virus in a way that is least likely to be impacted by "predicted mutations".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm just going to guess that it's the effects of social distancing and being careful. Maybe NYC's skew the overall picture too? I think it'd be interesting to see a curve that eliminates NYC. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2 weeks after all the protests and more states opening up. I'd love to see it keep going down. 

I dont know. If it were just social distancing, wouldn't the death graph mirror the case count graph?

The current (albeit it short) trend is the rate of deaths are declining significantly more quickly than the rate of infection.