Coronavirus

Reacher

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We went to the surf hut. 

Al's burger place is very good in FT Walton beach. Best onion rings according to my wife. That area has replaced Clearwater as our new go to vacation spot 

Try Buffalo's Reef if you like wings...they serve other stuff too, but their wings are still the best I've ever had...

And The Donut Hole for breakfast...

Secondhand FL report. I spoke with a client of mine in FL yesterday (Ft Myers). Their retirement community has 4000 residents. There have been 7 cases. Also said many who head North for the summers are just staying put. Blames the spread on younger people who are not social distancing. The older, more vulnerable,  people seem to have gotten the message. Definitely part of the reason deaths aren't as bad . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Also said many who head North for the summers are just staying put. Blames the spread on younger people who are not social distancing. The older, more vulnerable,  people seem to have gotten the message.

We have decades long friends.  Who Winter in Florida (Orlando) and  Summer in Colorado.  This year. They have stayed in Florida.

18 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Most people want simple answers. I dont think it's any single thing causing the surge.  Blaming it all on reopenings isn't looking at the whole picture. 

I agree with that...lots of things are contributing to the spread...

I remember early on, some states adjacent to NY screened New Yorkers coming in, and there was outrage...

Florida started screening cars and air travellers from NY in March. Dependency on tourist summer dollars probably had something to do with Florida's lax enforcement of their travel restrictions on New Yorkers and their quarantine order...come to Florida and spend 2 weeks in quarantine before you start your vacation? Yeah, right...

But I would like to see the numbers on how many went to Florida and followed those orders...

I'd bet not many...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Most people want simple answers. I dont think it's any single thing causing the surge.  Blaming it all on reopenings isn't looking at the whole picture. 

Yeah, it's a lot of things contributing. But his trying to blame it on people traveling from the north is also not looking at the whole picture. Like, if your state didn't really shut down, require masks, and many people weren't taking it seriously - then that's most likely the simplest answer. There's your surge.

You don't need a boogeyman from the north to explain it.

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with that...lots of things are contributing to the spread...

I remember early on, some states adjacent to NY screened New Yorkers coming in, and there was outrage...

Florida started screening cars and air travellers from NY in March. Dependency on tourist summer dollars probably had something to do with Florida's lax enforcement of their travel restrictions on New Yorkers and their quarantine order...come to Florida and spend 2 weeks in quarantine before you start your vacation? Yeah, right...

But I would like to see the numbers on how many went to Florida and followed those orders...

I'd bet not many...

Yeah, there is no way I would decide to travel to FL and then quarantine for 2 weeks and THEN start my vacation. I just wouldn't go. We had decided two things early on when this hit - we were staying put in Brooklyn and that we wouldn't leave NYC to possibly expose others until it was under control here.

We have a huge place on the water in MD, but never even traveled there until earlier this month when we felt that we were over the worst of it. Also, MD is doing pretty well with cases for the most part. If they were not, we never would have traveled there.

I'm on the coast of Mississippi this week, and I have been pleasantly surprised how good everyone has been here. Every restaurant and store we've seen has signs for masks, and I haven't seen anybody not wearing one when inside.

Late this morning I took my dog for a quick walk so she could go to the bathroom, and I didn't grab my mask. I walked by a couple girls (early 20s) on a sidewalk who were wearing masks. As we got close, one of them pushed their mask tight to their face and clamped their nose. Admittedly, that might have had nothing to do with the virus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

https://www.chron.com/local/article/Outdoor-tents-for-classrooms-That-s-now-the-15410068.php?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral

I'm sure the cynicism police are out in full force with this idea.....but I applaud any university, school,etc.....in being creative this fall. Why not have some outdoor classes if you can. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I saw that Walmart has required shoppers to wear a mask to enter. I am shocked at the number of people making such a big deal about it. 

That was one of those headlines where I was all "Wait, they didn't require masks before now?"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

That was one of those headlines where I was all "Wait, they didn't require masks before now?"

The last time I was at Walmart was my last time at Walmart for these times. I can only speak for the 75th and Keystone location in Indy but when I was there last month I'd say 20% max had masks on. Found myself actually having to tell two people to give me a little space. Glad Walmart and others are doing this now but to me this was a May decision....not a mid July one.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Thats logical thinking. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-wants-half-100k-donated-010348161.html

This one cracks me up. Lady suing a starbucks barista that received over $100,000 from a go fund me account that someone set up  after seeing this lady blast the starbucks worker on social media for not serving her wothout having a mask on. We wonder why this country and world is in the situation that it is. Everyone looking for a handout or entitlement and heaven forbid we mention GOD. Just can't imaging why we are where we are. 

2 Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall ahumble themselves, and bpray, and seek my cface, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I kinda knew that Walmart and Tractor Supply would be the last bastions of the misguided "you can't tell me what to do" crowd who can't distinguish between the rights of free enterprise versus what some see as government overreach.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I kinda knew that Walmart and Tractor Supply would be the last bastions of the misguided "you can't tell me what to do" crowd who can't distinguish between the rights of free enterprise versus what some see as government overreach.

Yeah, I figured that too, but just hadn't realized that they were still not doing it.

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thats logical thinking. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-wants-half-100k-donated-010348161.html

This one cracks me up. Lady suing a starbucks barista that received over $100,000 from a go fund me account that someone set up  after seeing this lady blast the starbucks worker on social media for not serving her wothout having a mask on. We wonder why this country and world is in the situation that it is. Everyone looking for a handout or entitlement and heaven forbid we mention GOD. Just can't imaging why we are where we are. 

2 Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall ahumble themselves, and bpray, and seek my cface, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Wait, that woman thinks she should get some of the donated money? Crazy.

We had kind of a weird local experience yesterday. My wife wanted to take a short walk to get ice cream at a local place (Van Leeuwen). We masked up and headed out for a nice mid-day jaunt. At the door of the ice cream shop, there were signs saying "Masks Required Inside," "Maximum Occupancy of 6 People Inside," and "Please Maintain Six Feet of Distance Between Customers."

We felt pretty good about entering, but had to wait until two people left before we could enter.

We entered and as I was looking at the list of flavors, my wife was like "Abort, abort" and headed towards the door. I was confused at first, but looked up to see the lone ice cream scooper holding a customers cone about six inches under her unmasked face. The customers were masked, but the employee didn't have one on. Not even chin strap style or around her neck. Just nothing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We entered and as I was looking at the list of flavors, my wife was like "Abort, abort" and headed towards the door. I was confused at first, but looked up to see the lone ice cream scooper holding a customers cone about six inches under her unmasked face. The customers were masked, but the employee didn't have one on. Not even chin strap style or around her neck. Just nothing.

Depending on how bad the ice cream urge was, that would have been a difficult choice for me...😁

I love I've cream...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Depending on how bad the ice cream urge was, that would have been a difficult choice for me...😁

I love I've cream...

Luckily, we have two other ice cream shops nearby and we were able to get our fix at a Blue Marble. It was a pretty strong urge!

• Like 2

This is the kind of "jounalism" that makes people do stupid stuff. 

Either you beleive the nonsense and go full blown panic extremes. Or you recognize they are playing to our fears and say to hell with it, its all hype. Then stop using common sense. This junk journalism is dangerous on all sides.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/america-track-million-coronavirus-cases-112633549.html

Screenshot_20200716-175642_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

People fear what they cant see and what they dont understand and can easily be whipped up into hysteria.  

I really dont blame them for not understanding.  They had no interest or were never taught science.  I had good parents who nurtured my interests and great teachers who taught science well.

I have a sister who has a degree in journalism.  There are no more Walter Cronkite's or Andy Rooney's.  Just parrots. 

So the information people get is garbage. 

25 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

This is the kind of "jounalism" that makes people do stupid stuff. 

Either you beleive the nonsense and go full blown panic extremes. Or you recognize they are playing to our fears and say to hell with it, its all hype. Then stop using common sense. This junk journalism is dangerous on all sides.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/america-track-million-coronavirus-cases-112633549.html

Screenshot_20200716-175642_Chrome.jpg

What do you expect from people that chose a profession that is maybe one or two steps above prostitution?

• Haha 1