Coronavirus

Reacher

16 hours ago, Reacher said:

I have no idea whether deaths are under or over reported. That study either has 30k mystery deaths or their model is off 25%.  I like to bring up points and articles that I see as relevant- and let others make their own decisions.  I am skeptical of the numbers and information we are getting.  Agree, we'll eventually get closer to the truth- whatever that might be. 

Either way it wasn't really that well written. Initially I was just going on straight excessive deaths from the CDC. I actually thought that the study implied we missed COVID deaths because where would those unapplied extra deaths come from?

Whereas, the dotted line represents 'expected deaths' (or averages based on previous years), the solid represents actual deaths reported and the space between is the excessive deaths. They're saying the blue shaded area is reported COVID deaths and the tan area is unreported excess deaths. The tan area was thickest during the NYC chaos, a result of the virus taking them by surprise and them being unprepared. I read the study to imply that some of that tan area should also be COVID, thus under-reported. Again, I'm not sure how you found this study so I can't vouch for its accuracy in either direction. 

Interesting though, this study also factored in that orange sliver, which represents additional pneumonia and influenza excess deaths not coded as COVID-19. I've been hearing conspiracy theories that we all together stopped counting flu once COVID started, which this data show is not true. It actually seemed to be a pretty bad spring for the flu if deaths climbed over the median. 

image.png.42ca6a8444c9997b96735559442d206a.png

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Either way it wasn't really that well written. Initially I was just going on straight excessive deaths from the CDC. I actually thought that the study implied we missed COVID deaths because where would those unapplied extra deaths come from?

Whereas, the dotted line represents 'expected deaths' (or averages based on previous years), the solid represents actual deaths reported and the space between is the excessive deaths. They're saying the blue shaded area is reported COVID deaths and the tan area is unreported excess deaths. The tan area was thickest during the NYC chaos, a result of the virus taking them by surprise and them being unprepared. I read the study to imply that some of that tan area should also be COVID, thus under-reported. Again, I'm not sure how you found this study so I can't vouch for its accuracy in either direction. 

Interesting though, this study also factored in that orange sliver, which represents additional pneumonia and influenza excess deaths not coded as COVID-19. I've been hearing conspiracy theories that we all together stopped counting flu once COVID started, which this data show is not true. It actually seemed to be a pretty bad spring for the flu if deaths climbed over the median. 

image.png.42ca6a8444c9997b96735559442d206a.png

Whats the source of this data / graph?

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Whats the source of this data / graph?

That's the graph for the JAMA study you referred me to. To the right of the text you can click on "figures and tables". 

edit: they also have charts broken down by state. NYC accounted for a majority of these unreported excessive deaths while they were in the thick of it. Maybe too many people dying too quickly that they couldn't all be tested and counted? Just a wild guess. 

Edited by tdhoosier

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

FDA approved TRICOR could reduce covid to no more than common cold

More detailed article

If you wonder how I found the second source I just clicked on the hyperlink in the yahoo article.

Hopefully big money vaccine pushers don't squash potential cheap alternatives.

I see you are a reader of Israel news publications just like me!

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think it's good to get some perspective from other national media sources. They dont pull as many punches.

I know! there are times I have got more information from the UKMail on a local story than from the local outlets.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

FDA approved TRICOR could reduce covid to no more than common cold

More detailed article

If you wonder how I found the second source I just clicked on the hyperlink in the yahoo article.

Hopefully big money vaccine pushers don't squash potential cheap alternatives.

32 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Existing medicine to make COVID no worse than a cold?

https://www.jns.org/israel-us-team-think-existing-medication-may-stop-covid-19-in-its-tracks/

Add in the recent news from Oxford and we are moving fast to some solutions.

Why hasn't the media in the U.S. picked up on this yet?  Should be the lead story for every national media outlet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Why hasn't the media in the U.S. picked up on this yet?  Should be the lead story for every national media outlet.

I did see the Oxford story on CBS yesterday evening...but it was pretty much a blurb.  SMH.

22 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Clark County, Indiana, where I live, with a population of over 118,000, has had only two Covid related deaths since May 25th, and none since June 22nd. There have been a lot of other things in that time that have caused two people to die. 

The state/county/hospital decided yesterday that a Clark County resident who died on July 12th must have had Covid.  

another ongoing study

Paris (AFP) - An aerosol-based drug treatment could drastically reduce the number of new coronavirus patients dying from the disease or requiring intensive care, according to preliminary results released Monday by a British biotech firm.

In a randomised trial of 100 patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19, those who received an inhaled formula of the protein interferon beta were at 79 percent lower risk of developing severe disease compared to those who received a placebo.

They were also more than twice as likely to make a full recovery compared with the control group.

The firm behind the treatment, known as SNG001, said the preliminary results suggested "a major breakthrough" in the pandemic.

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It’s an interesting story that’s worth noting, but they haven’t even started testing out the theory. I don’t know that this is national headline news (there are literally hundreds of trials like this that are ongoing). 

Now, show efficacy in human trials and we’re in a different place. 

All that being said, the innovations that are developing to treat the virus post-infection are pretty impressive. Vaccine aside, that’s going to make a very positive impact. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe because they haven't started testing in animals yet and you have idiots out there drinking bleach? haha. 

No doubt great news. I also really want to see something like this make it market and limit our dependency on vaccines. I'm by no means an antivaxer, I get flu shots pretty regularly. Granted I know little to nothing about vaccine development, but I just don't understand how they can possibly know if there are any long term side effects to a vaccine if it only takes 9 months to create. Most vaccines take 5-10 years to thoroughly research. Are they just adapting it from an existing formula already deemed safe that was made to fight other coronaviruses? I'm definitely lacking knowledge in this area and need to learn more. 

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The state/county/hospital decided yesterday that a Clark County resident who died on July 12th must have had Covid.  

Or they knew it on July 13th and it took time to process the data (and/or confirm via a test). That’s been happening since Day 1 - Indiana has been very transparent about it. 

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The firm behind the treatment, known as SNG001, said the preliminary results suggested "a major breakthrough" in the pandemic.

This sentence I quoted throws up major red flags for me.  The firm behind it called it "a major breakthrough" after a trial of 100 people.

It could be found to be a good treatment after more testing, but it sounds like someone wanting to get publicity/money (their shares went up 300% yesterday...hmmm).

The problem with small numbers is that they can skew things so much.  Even if you flipped a coin 100 times, there are going to be times when you get 65+ tails.  If you just look at that one trial, you'd say that you're about 90% more likely to get tails (65 to 35).

Most of the data in the trial isn't statistically significantly.

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Are they just adapting it from an existing formula already deemed safe that was made to fight other coronaviruses? 

Very much depends on the vaccine manufacturer - there’s no one vaccine approach thus far, so we have a mix of modifications to existing vaccines, new versions similar to approved vaccines, and completely new vaccines. (This is an oversimplification, but you get the point). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

This sentence I quoted throws up major red flags for me.  The firm behind it called it "a major breakthrough" after a trial of 100 people.

It could be found to be a good treatment after more testing, but it sounds like someone wanting to get publicity/money (their shares went up 300% yesterday...hmmm).

The problem with small numbers is that they can skew things so much.  Even if you flipped a coin 100 times, there are going to be times when you get 65+ tails.  If you just look at that one trial, you'd say that you're about 90% more likely to get tails (65 to 35).

Most of the data in the trial isn't statistically significantly.

For sure - this is why it’s good to hold back from overreact to these “we showed in a lab that it appears to slow down viral replication” or even “Phase I trials showed promising results” stories. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

Or they knew it on July 13th and it took time to process the data (and/or confirm via a test). That’s been happening since Day 1 - Indiana has been very transparent about it. 

My comment was tongue in cheek.

That said, If Marion County can report a death that actually happened the day before (and they did today), then Clark County should be able to do so as well.

If I was into conspiracies, then I could speculate that the person in Clark County was not tested until AFTER they died, while the person in Marion County was tested before they died.  In other words, the person in Marion County may have been in the hospital, clearly as a Covid patient, was tested, found to have Covid, and died a few days later.  Clear cut Covid death. 

Meanwhile, if I was into conspiracies, the person in Clark County may have died without ever being tested for Covvid. Heck maybe they were asymptomatic and that nasty little motorcycle wreck contributed a little bit to their death as well.  However,, Covid was tested for in the autopsy and subsequently found.  

Again, if I was into conspiracies, I might write one that way.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Maybe because they haven't started testing in animals yet and you have idiots out there drinking bleach? haha. 

No doubt great news. I also really want to see something like this make it market and limit our dependency on vaccines. I'm by no means an antivaxer, I get flu shots pretty regularly. Granted I know little to nothing about vaccine development, but I just don't understand how they can possibly know if there are any long term side effects to a vaccine if it only takes 9 months to create. Most vaccines take 5-10 years to thoroughly research. Are they just adapting it from an existing formula already deemed safe that was made to fight other coronaviruses? I'm definitely lacking knowledge in this area and need to learn more. 

I may be in the minority, but when hundreds of thousands of people are dying because of something, I'm okay with fast-tracking a vaccine.  If it causes me to grow a third nipple in a couple of years (or in the case of @bluegrassIU, a 4th nipple), I'll still sign up for the vaccine and live with the consequences. 

All that said, now that you mention it,. I might head down to WalMart, buy some bleach, and give that a try.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I may be in the minority, but when hundreds of thousands of people are dying because of something, I'm okay with fast-tracking a vaccine.  If it causes me to grow a third nipple in a couple of years (or in the case of @bluegrassIU, a 4th nipple), I'll still sign up for the vaccine and live with the consequences. 

All that said, now that you mention it,. I might head down to WalMart, buy some bleach, and give that a try.

That's hot.

• Haha 1

Just saw an interesting poll on tv.  Done by the AP...asking if a covid-19 vaccine becomes available, would you get vaccinated?

49% - Yes.....20% - No...31% - Not sure

I didn't have sound on, so I have no details.  Sorry!  😁

Edited by jv1972iu

12 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Just saw an interesting poll on tv.  Done by the AP...asking if a covid-19 vaccine becomes available, would you get vaccinated?

49% - Yes.....20% - No...31% - Not sure

I didn't have sound on, so I have no details.  Sorry!  😁

I would definitely say yes, and quite frankly do not understand why someone would say no.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would definitely say yes, and quite frankly do not understand why someone would say no.

Put me down as one saying no. Not at least until proven. So many different vaccines being tested out there now.  Would want one that is proven for sure. 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 2