Coronavirus

Reacher

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I encountered the most awful, terrible consequence of Covid today. 

There are no gaming controllers left in any stores.

Within a 100 mile radius of Houston.

They blame supply chain disruption, along with China import sanctions. 

No Xbox, noooooooo

Xbox yuk.

36 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I don't know where those are! Lots are teeny out here and prices are shooting up! But you can find some deals if you aren't picky about locations. My sister in law just sold their house and got 16 offers on the first day. Sold for an additional 20%. Here's my backyard...it is a nice office view!

IMG_20200523_114540164.jpg

Man I need to come visit. Looks like fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colonialcrester said:

I don't know where those are! Lots are teeny out here and prices are shooting up! But you can find some deals if you aren't picky about locations. My sister in law just sold their house and got 16 offers on the first day. Sold for an additional 20%. Here's my backyard...it is a nice office view!

IMG_20200523_114540164.jpg

Heard you shot an 82 on your course the other day.  :coffee:

• Haha 1

https://thehill.com/policy/international/508688-coronavirus-measures-lead-to-lower-influenza-numbers-across-the-southern

It only makes sense that same precautions we take for COVID would also protect us against influenza. Good news since many health officials think the combo of COVID and influenza this winter could push our hospitals to the brink.

Also want to get ahead of all the conspiracies that are likely going to allege we’re counting influenza cases as COVID cases when comparing numbers to previous years’ totals. 😎

Doesn't look good for baseball. Will be interesting to see what they do now. With the bubble, I think the NBA should be able to make it. I don't see how college football can do it though. They'd have to accept that it will run rampant through players - I don't see them letting that happen. We just don't know enough about the long term effects on kids, nor the odds a 300 pound lineman faces. Especially with the continued optimism towards a vaccine, I think the best we can hope for is spring football.

20 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Doesn't look good for baseball. Will be interesting to see what they do now. With the bubble, I think the NBA should be able to make it. I don't see how college football can do it though. They'd have to accept that it will run rampant through players - I don't see them letting that happen. We just don't know enough about the long term effects on kids, nor the odds a 300 pound lineman faces. Especially with the continued optimism towards a vaccine, I think the best we can hope for is spring football.

Yeah agreed unfortunately.  Football just seems extremely unlikely to happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Especially if more people have complications like Eduardo Rodriguez for the Red Sox. I think most people were hoping professional athletes would be unscathed if they got it (and the vast majority are), but there is a lot more to this virus than just the death toll.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Especially if more people have complications like Eduardo Rodriguez for the Red Sox. I think most people were hoping professional athletes would be unscathed if they got it (and the vast majority are), but there is a lot more to this virus than just the death toll.

I think your last sentence is important and largely being ignored. Some previously healthy people are sick for a long time with this; lots of health issues afterwards that aren't really being talked about that much. Yes, the cases and deaths are bad, but just b/c people survived does not mean they have really recovered.

• Like 1

@Lostin76, since you work in a hospital I thought you may find today's podcast for The Daily' interesting. They were talking about how patients were dying at a higher rate at the NYC public hospitals vs. private hospitals because they were understaffed. 

For example, when they learned that proning was good for patients, they couldn't get enough nurses to flip them over because with all the wires and IVs it takes 4 or 5 people to do that. The nurse to patient ratios at that time were 7 to 1 compared to 3 to 1 in private hospitals. A doctor said that he thought 2 or 3 patients out of every 10 who died could've been saved if they had enough staff. Just sad all the way around. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

@Lostin76, since you work in a hospital I thought you may find today's podcast for The Daily' interesting. They were talking about how patients were dying at a higher rate at the NYC public hospitals vs. private hospitals because they were understaffed. 

For example, when they learned that proning was good for patients, they couldn't get enough nurses to flip them over because with all the wires and IVs it takes 4 or 5 people to do that. The nurse to patient ratios at that time were 7 to 1 compared to 3 to 1 in private hospitals. A doctor said that he thought 2 or 3 patients out of every 10 who died could've been saved if they had enough staff. Just sad all the way around. 

That is pretty accurate. Our NYU hospitals (especially the one in Manhattan) were pretty well staffed and we started preparing very early on. Proning is something we stumbled onto early as well and it gave tremendous relief to patients, but it does take more staff to do correctly/safely.

The public hospitals in the Bronx, Queens, and our Kings County one here in Brooklyn, definitely got hit harder and they didn't have the bandwidth to be as prepared - didn't really have the staff to move from other areas like we did. We opened up tons of floors for COVID and staffed them with people from other places as the cases began rising.

Thanks for the heads up on the Daily, I need to listen to that.

We are down to about 100 inpatient cases (across our three hospitals) at this point and it's been holding steady.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I think your last sentence is important and largely being ignored. Some previously healthy people are sick for a long time with this; lots of health issues afterwards that aren't really being talked about that much. Yes, the cases and deaths are bad, but just b/c people survived does not mean they have really recovered.

I still don't feel 100% and have had so many test on my heart and my lungs.  I have no idea if this came from having the virus or just a coincidence.

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still don't feel 100% and have had so many test on my heart and my lungs.  I have no idea if this came from having the virus or just a coincidence.

Dang Scott, I knew you were still feeling some effects and was actually thinking about you when I posted this.

We are really seeing people struggling with regaining normal function, especially previously healthy people. This is and will be a significant stressor on our health care system moving forward and I think it's lost in many discussions of the impact of COVID.

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Dang Scott, I knew you were still feeling some effects and was actually thinking about you when I posted this.

We are really seeing people struggling with regaining normal function, especially previously healthy people. This is and will be a significant stressor on our health care system moving forward and I think it's lost in many discussions of the impact of COVID.

Today was my last unemployment check with the $600 so it will start to get more difficult.  Hopefully they will get some kind of unemployment benefit for us.  I know some say get out and find a job but it is not as easy as that sounds.  I have applied for numerous jobs but have not got any call backs.

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I heard Facebook removed a video of a panel of Dr's discussing the virus in Washington DC. Had 17 million views before being taken down. Was that what you posted? 

Yes. Interesting isn’t it? How quickly this has been removed. The opinions being re-labeled  as false information.

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Yes. Interesting isn’t it? How quickly this has been removed. The opinions being re-labeled  as false information.

Frontline Dr's no longer to share their expertise? They worried China might benefit? That is seriously wrong.