Coronavirus

Reacher

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

If Trump doesn’t say anything about it > media doesn’t say anything about it > we aren’t talking about pharmaceuticals on a basketball board and it’s one less thing America is fighting about. 

it’s pretty much that simple. 

The President, regardless of party affiliation, has an obligation to the people to inform them of what is happening in a crisis.  Maybe Trump was a little premature in mentioning it, but I do feel it's the President's place to speak 

The media, on both sides of the equation, rushed to politicalize the President's comments.  The same thing would have happened if a leader from the other political party would have said something similar, only the roles of media would have flip-flopped.  The side in opposition would now be supporting the comments, while the side currently supporting the comments would be in opposition.

What the country needs, is fair and unbiased media coverage.  Let people reach their own conclusions.  Unfortunately, that's not what we have.  

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The President, regardless of party affiliation, has an obligation to the people to inform them of what is happening in a crisis.  Maybe Trump was a little premature in mentioning it, but I do feel it's the President's place to speak 

The media, on both sides of the equation, rushed to politicalize the President's comments.  The same thing would have happened if a leader from the other political party would have said something similar, only the roles of media would have flip-flopped.  The side in opposition would now be supporting the comments, while the side currently supporting the comments would be in opposition.

What the country needs, is fair and unbiased media coverage.  Let people reach their own conclusions.  Unfortunately, that's not what we have.  

Is it not true though?

Fair and unbiased media is a pipe dream. For every fair source there are 3 opinionated sources with bias. It's much easier to control messaging than to control how the media reacts. And because you aren't going to change the media that is why leaders need to be careful and clear with their messaging. I'll leave it at that. I hate talking about this topic as much as the next guy. 

Edited by tdhoosier

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Kodak switching gears. And will start manufacturing pharmaceuticals in the U.S.  I can only hope other U.S. companies do the same.  There should be no reason why this country should remain dependent upon China.

Sorry for getting off topic, but I had an uncle that was head of security for Kodak back when Kodak was a mega-corporation. Part of his job was travelling all over the world when the corporate officers were. He actually had to de-bug rooms and make sure everything was safe. Especially during big corporate sponsored events like the Olympics. He told me Kodak could care less about making another roll of film as they were involved with the government making defense items.

Man the stories he could tell.

Coronavirus cases in the U.S. climbed 1% as compared with the same time Monday to 4.31 million, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University and Bloomberg News. The increase was below the average 1.7% daily gain over the past week. 

• Arizona reported 2,107 new cases Tuesday, an increase of 1.3% that brings the total to 165,934, still below the 1.7% prior seven-day average.
  • Florida reported 441,977 cases, up 2.1% from a day earlier, compared with an average increase of 2.6% in the previous seven days.
  • California reported 6,000 new virus cases, fewer than the 14-day average of 9,159 and the lowest daily tally since July 5, according to the state health department and data compiled by Bloomberg.
  • Alaska cases rose 3.9% to 2,623, according to the data from Johns Hopkins and Bloomberg.
  • New Jersey’s transmission rate rose to 1.14, the highest in at least 13 weeks. The virus is spreading in a state that was hit hard and early and has maintained bans on indoor dining and gym workouts while imposing crowd limits on outdoor gatherings.

Cases seem to be rolling over. Chart below shows deaths approx half what were expected using first wave as a baseline. Obviously due to factors we have discussed here- better treatments, lower ages, etc

8_US Cross Curves (1)

46 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Sorry for getting off topic, but I had an uncle that was head of security for Kodak back when Kodak was a mega-corporation. Part of his job was travelling all over the world when the corporate officers were. He actually had to de-bug rooms and make sure everything was safe. Especially during big corporate sponsored events like the Olympics. He told me Kodak could care less about making another roll of film as they were involved with the government making defense items.

Man the stories he could tell.

Thanks for sharing that story.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Kodak switching gears. And will start manufacturing pharmaceuticals in the U.S.  I can only hope other U.S. companies do the same.  There should be no reason why this country should remain dependent upon China.

Holy cow. Did you see Kodak's stock?? Who was in on that one? ......We'll never find out. 

image.thumb.png.ac6580f7bdbdbcfdd5434a7cc55bbc01.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Holy cow. Did you see Kodak's stock?? Who was in on that one? ......We'll never find out. 

image.thumb.png.ac6580f7bdbdbcfdd5434a7cc55bbc01.png

Kodak surges 1,900% in 2 days after securing a $765 million government loan to make drug ingredients | Markets Insider

Out here in Colorado..reports that Indiana and Kentucky are becoming the newest hot spots for the virus.

After the spikes all over the country we're now seeing relatively reduced rates of new covid infections because of the new and renewed mask wearing and social distancing, etc. protocols. In Texas, we just hit double the number of deaths in nursing homes in the past month. That's not consistent with deaths going down because lower age population exposure, which is just conjecture. But again the death rate lags infections which spiked heavily here (and Florida, etc.), so the increase is to be expected, just as improvement in reduced number of deaths should follow reduced numbers of new cases, as we have state-ordered mask and social distancing protocols now in place.

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Out here in Colorado..reports that Indiana and Kentucky are becoming the newest hot spots for the virus.

I saw a similar report a couple of days ago.  I don't think it's a true statement on Indiana.  We had about two weeks of increased cases, but things are starting to trend back down.  Hospitalization is below mid-June levels  Available ICU capacity is over 43%.  Plus, mandatory masks went into effect on Monday, but even before then, you could see significantly more people were wearing them.  

Edited by 5fouls

6 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

This is the Trader Joe's around the corner from my work in Manhattan.

Two Men Arrested For Attacking Trader Joe's Employees Who Asked Them To Wear Masks

Glad they caught up to them...why mess with workers like that?

You know, I'm surprised that around where I live, I haven't seen or heard of any incidents. It's a rural part of Texas, and a lot of independent minded people...but everyone wears a mask, and there's no real hassle anywhere...

I don't know if they're happy about it...I can't see their faces for the masks...But it's actually pretty cool that everyone is on board...

Mentioning Trader Joe's also reminded me I have to make a mushroom risotto run over there...their frozen mushroom risotto is awesome 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Absolutely.  China is buying tech stock by the billions and spreading propaganda through our social media platforms and at the same time owning our corporations manufacturing capabilities.  

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You know, I'm surprised that around where I live, I haven't seen or heard of any incidents. It's a rural part of Texas, and a lot of independent minded people...but everyone wears a mask, and there's no real hassle anywhere...

I don't know if they're happy about it...I can't see their faces for the masks...But it's actually pretty cool that everyone is on board...

Mentioning Trader Joe's also reminded me I have to make a mushroom risotto run over there...their frozen mushroom risotto is awesome 

I am free to make my own decisions just as much as a business is free to dictate their own policies. I am ambivalent about mask wearing, but if I want to shop at a place that requires it i wear it if I dont want to I dont shop there. 

When it comes to Trader Joe's I really like their frozen tamales.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

After the spikes all over the country we're now seeing relatively reduced rates of new covid infections because of the new and renewed mask wearing and social distancing, etc. protocols. In Texas, we just hit double the number of deaths in nursing homes in the past month. That's not consistent with deaths going down because lower age population exposure, which is just conjecture. But again the death rate lags infections which spiked heavily here (and Florida, etc.), so the increase is to be expected, just as improvement in reduced number of deaths should follow reduced numbers of new cases, as we have state-ordered mask and social distancing protocols now in place.

I tend to think the lack of an increase in cases is more a result of not having the testing capability. I’m on day 6 of waiting for results.  Seems there’s a bottleneck 

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

We are big TJs fans - lots of their frozen meals are pretty cheap and tasty. Since I workd so close to this one, my wife always texted me a list of things to get from TJs before hitting the sub.

Those were the days!

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I tend to think the lack of an increase in cases is more a result of not having the testing capability. I’m on day 6 of waiting for results.  Seems there’s a bottleneck 

That must be a regional thing because when I tested (negative), it was same day and I had the results in 48 hours. My wife went to the Dr yesterday (I took her) and there was a line under the drop off overhang where they were conducting drive through tests with a 24 hour result...

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

A kid I knew fairly well from high school had been on a ventilator for a week and sadly just passed away. He was 32 I think (we graduated HS in 06). 

Damn, I'm sorry Boiler. That's horrible. It's weird how it can sometimes hit younger, healthier people so hard. Was he obese?