Coronavirus

Reacher

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

No, but people on both sides trying to shape the narrative sure do...

Sure they do. I know a lot of it's political to people and that's one of the great tragedies of this whole thing. Just think if masks and even treatments weren't politicized and we were all united against this thing. Would be a heck of a lot better outcome.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

You're good, man. I thought this thread was getting a little weird with the HCQ conspiracy posts and censorship stuff and then I saw your post.

If you guys are feeling like a trip to NYC, it's apparently a thing now for food tourists. I have to admit, the city is amazing without all of the people. And the group from MI seems like they had a good time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/nyregion/coronavirus-nyc-tourism-restaurants.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

Wouldn't mind visiting New York some day to do a food tour and see some sights. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Wouldn't mind visiting New York some day to do a food tour and see some sights. 

I kid and all, but seriously during this would be the best time. The city is much better w/o all the people! I always tell people that you have to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge (from the Manhattan side) and not look back towards Manhattan until you get at least halfway over. The view is so great. BUT, you normally have to do it really early in the morning b/c it's so packed with people. Now, not so much!

All of the the parks and outdoor dining also make things kind of nice.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I truly don't understand why information like this is not commonly reported on by the media.  This is the type of information that is important,  

I have no idea. The media says all the time if this or that saves just one life, but not now?

My mom has lupus and has been taking it for years and the only noticeable side effect is an increased divorce rate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't make shit up.  Bangladesh has a population of over 164 million, which is roughly 50% that of the U.S.

As of today, Bangladesh has approximately 235,000 cases, which is SIGNIFICANTLY less than 50% of the U.S. 4.6 million

As of today, Bangladesh has reported 3,083 total deaths, which is SIGNIFICANTLY less than the U.S. 155,285

Mortality rate is a terrible metrics when the discrepancy in cases is so large.  That's like sating 1 out of 2 people dying is worse than 49,999 out of 100,000.

Dr. Fauci needs to explain to the U.S. population why a country like Bangladesh, with not nearly the resources of the U.S., and on teh surface, a society that would be harder to social distance, has so fewer cases than us.

That is information we need to know.

What does he have to explain they social distanced we didn’t?  It’s not his fault people are standing for their freedom by infecting others. 

Fauci makes recommendations not policy.  And none of his recommendations were listened to 

Edited by Brass Cannon

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Ok. Well then we don’t know if Bangladesh has a higher or lower death rate 

Why does the U,S, have 4.4 million more cases in Bangladesh?  That is the root of this whole discussion.  What is it about Bangladesh that prevents the virus from being as bad there as it is here?

I don't understand why you can't see the importance of that question, especially considering Bangladesh does not have the resources or living conditions that exist in the U.S.  

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Why does the U,S, have 4.4 million more cases in Bangladesh?  That is the root of this whole discussion.  What is it about Bangladesh that prevents the virus from being as bad there as it is here?

I don't understand why you can't see the importance of that question, especially considering Bangladesh does not have the resources or living conditions that exist in the U.S.  

Bangladesh hasn’t even had that many tests would be a possibility. 

Could also be that they actually did stuff to contain the spread versus reopening beaches and bars. 

A quick google search shows they had a 2 month lockdown which may be a slight reason they flattened their curve better than us

Edited by Brass Cannon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

What does he have to explain they social distanced we didn’t?  It’s not his fault people are standing for their freedom by infecting others. 

In Bangladesh, where extended families live in very close quarters with each other in less than ideal conditions, why hasn't the virus ravaged them like it has us.  It is not conceivable that Bangladesh could social distance this virus away.  They have half the U.S. population, while the U.S. is 66 times bigger in area.    

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Fauci makes recommendations not policy.  And none of his recommendations were listened to 

How do you know they practiced social distancing?  Did you vacation there this year and witnessit first hand?

Edited by mrflynn03

Bangladesh:

• 57,321 square miles
  • 164,820,000 population
  • 3,111 Covid Deaths

Illinois:

• 57,913 square miles
  • 12,659,000 population
  • 7,670 Covid Deaths

That's not a good look for those who insist social distancing is the answer. Don't get me wrong.  I think social distancing is important.  but, I also thing there are other factors that are not even being considered because everyone is so caught up with the narrative we keep hearing from the media.  

There are other things in play here, and people are dying because we are choosing to ignore them. 

• Like 1

So, if it's not social distancing (as shown in earlier posts) that has allowed Bangladesh to deal with the virus better than us, what is it?

Not surprisingly, it's not because they have better healthcare.

Ranking of top 100 healthcare systems in the world.

U.S. is 37th (embarrassingly low)

Bangladesh is unranked (outside the top 100)

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/best-healthcare-in-the-world

So, can we at least consider the fact that it may be environmental, genetic, or dietary.  How many lives could be saved if we take a common sense look at those as possibilities?

I keep hearing "follow the science."

But "the science" contradicts itself every couple of days or so.

The only person I trust in this is me...I'll live my life...I'll follow the mandate to wear a mask and social distance. I'll keep working from home because they want me to. 

But I'm gonna live my life. Dinner at Landry's tonight at 8 pm.

I'm done worrying about "science" and "agendas."

I'll follow my own...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, if it's not social distancing (as shown in earlier posts) that has allowed Bangladesh to deal with the virus better than us, what is it?

Not surprisingly, it's not because they have better healthcare.

Ranking of top 100 healthcare systems in the world.

U.S. is 37th (embarrassingly low)

Bangladesh is unranked (outside the top 100)

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/best-healthcare-in-the-world

So, can we at least consider the fact that it may be environmental, genetic, or dietary.  How many lives could be saved if we take a common sense look at those as possibilities?

I do think that we in the US are less considerate of others and more concerned with our own freedoms. We still have a decent-sized part of our country refusing to do the things necessary to lessen the spread.

Another thing I wonder about that Fouls touched on is dietary. We have consistently seen in our cases that obesity and heart conditions make this more deadly. I haven't checked the numbers, but I'd imagine that we have much higher levels of obesity than Bangladesh.

Also I can't type Bangladesh w/o thinking of George Harrison and that album. If you are old, you know.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I keep hearing "follow the science."

But "the science" contradicts itself every couple of days or so.

The only person I trust in this is me...I'll live my life...I'll follow the mandate to wear a mask and social distance. I'll keep working from home because they want me to. 

But I'm gonna live my life. Dinner at Landry's tonight at 8 pm.

I'm done worrying about "science" and "agendas."

I'll follow my own...

As a science person, that has me so annoyed. There are great scientists doing great research, and then there are others that ruin everything.

I was trying to research HCQ yesterday and I read a few papers about how it is almost impossible to know what is going on because of the political lines in the sand and the scientists who have done poor research.

Like the video from a couple days ago. I watched a little, and there might have been some good info, but when the first person starts talking about a spiderweb of lies, it all goes down the drain. That is a dead giveaway that they have an agenda of some sort. Reputable scientists and doctors don't talk like that. If there is good evidence behind the drug working, stick to that. Otherwise it does nothing but divide. 

We need to hear a lot more about research and facts, but it has been so bad that after an hours worth of research yesterday I feel like I'm more confused than I was before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Another thing I wonder about that Fouls touched on is dietary. We have consistently seen in our cases that obesity and heart conditions make this more deadly. I haven't checked the numbers, but I'd imagine that we have much higher levels of obesity than Bangladesh.

I would surmise you are correct on the obesity comparison between the two countries.  And, that's what is so frustrating to me. There has not been significant discussion on things like that.  They may be occurring behind closed doors in the scientific community, but they are not getting the media attention that masks and social distancing are.  I agree that masks and social distancing can make a difference in the spread of the virus.    But, the virus train still has a pretty good head of steam even with better controls in place on those fronts.  we have to start looking for other factors and seeing what information we can gather from them as well.