Coronavirus

Reacher

17 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Just saw an interesting poll on tv.  Done by the AP...asking if a covid-19 vaccine becomes available, would you get vaccinated?

49% - Yes.....20% - No...31% - Not sure

I didn't have sound on, so I have no details.  Sorry!  😁

Ok...here's my thing. I don't think I'm unique but maybe I am. I've never had a flu shot. I've been sick twice in 25+ years. Am I just lucky or ? 

Regarding vaccine. I probably would land on the side of caution and do it but am I strange to compare the two? Or if it's a reaching example let me know that too. 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ok...here's my thing. I don't think I'm unique but maybe I am. I've never had a flu shot. I've been sick twice in 25+ years. Am I just lucky or ? 

Regarding vaccine. I probably would land on the side of caution and do it but am I strange to compare the two? Or if it's a reaching example let me know that too. 

To me it would be like any other vaccines that kids get when they are young.  I know when my aunt was young in the 40's she got polio and then they got a vaccine for that disease.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never had a flu shot either. And don't get the flu. Mrs. mile gets a flu shot every year.  And it has not always prevented her from getting the flu.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't think you are unique in that regard. Don't believe I've ever had a flu shot either.

It really is too early to make the decision on a vaccination, IMO. Lets see how it's spreading when something is available, what other treatments are available, etc. I'm sure healthcare workers and the elderly will get first dibs so we will have some time to sort it out. If there are treatments that reduce the severity to that of the common cold or can otherwise knock it out, the vaccine is not so urgent. I do come in contact with a fair amount of older people so I'd consider it more to give them peace of mind before any personal benefit. I try to keep my immune system up and am pretty healthy so not a huge concern personally. Just saw the fatality rate for someone in their 80s is 40x that of someone in their 50s. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it would be like any other vaccines that kids get when they are young.  I know when my aunt was young in the 40's she got polio and then they got a vaccine for that disease.

I think a lot will depend on the effectiveness of the vaccine.  Will it be like the polio vaccine, or will it be like the flu shot?

I am a little leery about the rushed science happening to try to get the vaccine, so I'll probably wait a little while.

• Like 2

I get that people worry about the side effects. but I look at it this way.  Imagine for a second that the vaccine was available in February and somehow the entire U.S. population was vaccinated at that moment.  The vaccine itself subsequently kills 100,000 people because of some unforeseen side effects..  Considering 140,000 people have already died from the disease, the vaccine would still have been a 'success', despite the toll it had.  Anything that results in fewer people dying is a good thing.  Correct?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I get that people worry about the side effects. but I look at it this way.  Imagine for a second that the vaccine was available in February and somehow the entire U.S. population was vaccinated at that moment.  The vaccine itself subsequently kills 100,000 people because of some unforeseen side effects..  Considering 140,000 people have already died from the disease, the vaccine would still have been a 'success', despite the toll it had.  Anything that results in fewer people dying is a good thing.  Correct?

Except for the manufacturer of that vaccine! 

• Like 1

Just now, Reacher said:

Except for the manufacturer of that vaccine! 

Agreed, the liability against the manufacturer would be insane for causing 100,000 deaths, but, in my example which has the benefit of hindsight, it would not be a bad thing.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Never had a flu shot either. And don't get the flu. Mrs. mile gets a flu shot every year.  And it has not always prevented her from getting the flu.

Never got a flu shot until this year because my son and his girlfriend told me I had to so I could be around my new granddaughter.

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

So, let's say the vaccine has been shown/proven to work.  The government then controls the rollout of the vaccine?  What might be the order for who gets vaccinated?  Just for discussion.  😊

IMHO.  Those with underlying heath issues. 

I'm only skeptical about this particular vaccine as they've fast-tracked 4-5 times faster than any other vaccine ever created. But that said, I'm completely on the fence. If I get a satisfactory explanation that it is safe, by an expert I trust, then i'm all on board. I'm friendly with a general doctor, a pharmacist and a pathologist....I may just ask them straight up are they plan on getting one and follow their lead. They'll know more than I ever know.

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

So, let's say the vaccine has been shown/proven to work.  The government then controls the rollout of the vaccine?  What might be the order for who gets vaccinated?  Just for discussion.  😊

Everyone lines up behind me and UK fans go last.

• Like 1

One of the things that have me skeptical about effectiveness is how vaccines are designed to work.  They trick the immune system into producing antibodies specific to the virus.  As of now, I thought the current knowledge is antibodies for covid lose their effectiveness rather quickly.  I can't seeing a vaccine being much more effective than the seasonal flu shot.  It will take a multi faceted approach which why studying these existing medications is so important. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Side note. Had a federal court hearing today, in person, everyone wearing masks. Truly surreal. And lots of "please talk directly into the microphone" lol.

Talking to people with their mask on feels like I'm trying to order from the drive thru. 

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Side note. Had a federal court hearing today, in person, everyone wearing masks. Truly surreal. And lots of "please talk directly into the microphone" lol.

My better half has been doing zoom calls for weeks/months. Nothing short of comedy hour with people and phone problems. Judges getting pissed because of the new systems,etc....

Can't imagine a federal courtroom right now. 

28 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Well, hopefully the vaccine that works is one they have already started to produce. I think Moderna has already started producing 300 million doses so we can avoid this exact situation. 

But if the government controls the rollout because we don't have enough doses, then the elderly and those with underlying health issues should get it. ...And of course the rich, NBA basketball players, @bluegrassIU’s third nipple, and politicians because they are more important than us. 🤔

We actually better hope that China doesn't develop the only working vaccine. I have a feeling we'll be pretty low on their list of who to roll it out to. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Haha 1

We arrived here in MD on Monday morning - today we learned that MD is now on the NY quarantine list and we will have to quarantine for 14 days when we return. We will be hear for at least another week as we have a friend watering our plants. Maybe by then, MD will be off the list!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We arrived here in MD on Monday morning - today we learned that MD is now on the NY quarantine list and we will have to quarantine for 14 days when we return. We will be hear for at least another week as we have a friend watering our plants. Maybe by then, MD will be off the list!

Stay safe !

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

One of the things that have me skeptical about effectiveness is how vaccines are designed to work.  They trick the immune system into producing antibodies specific to the virus.  As of now, I thought the current knowledge is antibodies for covid lose their effectiveness rather quickly.  I can't seeing a vaccine being much more effective than the seasonal flu shot.  It will take a multi faceted approach which why studying these existing medications is so important. 

Well I tested positive for the virus yet tested negative for antibodies. 

42 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

How can they possibly enforce that?