Coronavirus

Reacher

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Nope, it’s too hard. And the golf links await! Also, the media is mean.

Thread is about to come to an end. Be adults. If you get emoyional/political, step away. Just do not post.

Look gang, nobody is going to change anybody views here.

We just lost our founder Eric. Evety mod will vouch for me when I say he wanted to vote this thread long ago. Our forum is built, partly, on a zero politics policy.

Honor that. Knock off the personal attacks and political jabs. Or just don't post.

I am not giving any further warnings here. 

You are adults. You know the rules. Respect them or find somewhere else to post.

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

Thread is about to come to an end. Be adults. If you get emoyional/political, step away. Just do not post.

Look gang, nobody is going to change anybody views here.

We just lost our founder Eric. Evety mod will vouch for me when I say he wanted to vote this thread long ago. Our forum is built, partly, on a zero politics policy.

Honor that. Knock off the personal attacks and political jabs. Or just don't post.

I am not giving any further warnings here. 

You are adults. You know the rules. Respect them or find somewhere else to post.

Sorry Lostin76,

I did not mean to quote you. Although you clearly are spitting on the face of our rules,  you are not alone and I am not singling you out.

The countries that have managed this well are the Asia-Pacific countries that had previous experience with the SARS epidemic.,Their populations were willing to accept restrictions and contact tracing. I’ve traveled a lot in my career. It was common to see Asian travelers wearing masks long before COVID. The US and Europe hadn’t experienced an epidemic in more than a century. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The countries that have managed this well are the Asia-Pacific countries that had previous experience with the SARS epidemic.,Their populations were willing to accept restrictions and contact tracing. I’ve traveled a lot in my career. It was common to see Asian travelers wearing masks long before COVID. The US and Europe hadn’t experienced an epidemic in more than a century. 

That’s a very good and correct point. Also, exactly why we should learn as much as we can from them; not only our government but our citizens too. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

That’s a very good and correct point. Also, exactly why we should learn as much as we can from them; not only our government but our citizens too. 

Do you really think the American people will tolerate the government forcibly taking someone from their home and family and stuffing them in a quarantine box for 14 days?  Two totally different cultures, asiatic people are conditioned to it, we, well I am not. 

20 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Do you really think the American people will tolerate the government forcibly taking someone from their home and family and stuffing them in a quarantine box for 14 days?  Two totally different cultures, asiatic people are conditioned to it, we, well I am not. 

That happened in China, not the other Democratic Asian countries I frequently reference. 

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

That happened in China, not the other Democratic Asian countries I frequently reference. 

There are no Democracies in Asiatic countries.  We arent a Democracy either.  The ancient Greeks were the only true democracy. Democracy is mob rule.

Our founders understood that and created a constitutional republic where each state has it's own say. They created layers upon layers to make government inefficient as it should be.

The US is a collection of 50 states, and if people are unhappy with the response to this situation, well we voted all the dumbasses in, so garbage in, garbage out. We are suffering because we have a country full of idiots. All sides. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

There are no Democracies in Asiatic countries.  We arent a Democracy either.  The ancient Greeks were the only true democracy. Democracy is mob rule.

Our founders understood that and created a constitutional republic where each state has it's own say. They created layers upon layers to make government inefficient as it should be.

The US is a collection of 50 states, and if people are unhappy with the response to this situation, well we voted all the dumbasses in, so garbage in, garbage out. We are suffering because we have a country full of idiots. All sides. 

Okay verbiage police. The point being they aren’t communist China who forcibly quarantines its citizens. But you know that. Thanks for deflecting though. 

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Okay verbiage police. The point being they aren’t communist China who forcibly quarantines its citizens. But you know that. Thanks for deflecting though. 

LoL!  Verbiage police? 

Did you have a foriegn exchange student from South Korea in high school in your house?  I did.  Asian culture leans toward being submissive.  This is why they have been more successful.  They do what they are told, respect the rules, their government and revere their elders.

That is the difference.  Individualism vs. Collectivism.

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

LoL!  Verbiage police? 

Did you have a foriegn exchange student from South Korea in high school in your house?  I did.  Asian culture leans toward being submissive.  This is why they have been more successful.  They do what they are told, respect the rules, their government and revere their elders.

That is the difference.  Individualism vs. Collectivism.

Thank you for the better and more constructive reply. 

Btw. My best friend from high school is Korean and his parents immigrated here. Knowing that family well, you make a good point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Thank you for the better and more constructive reply. 

Btw. My best friend from high school is Korean and his parents immigrated here. Knowing that family well, you make a good point. 

Some of my favorite people and favorite cuisines is Asian of all kinds.

But there is a very good reason why they are able to deal with these things better. They also spend much more time on education and less time sitting on their ass in front of a tv. 

My friend, Soo Rae Cha had to go back to S. Korea to do his 2 years of mandatory military service before coming back to go to college here. 

12 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Sorry Lostin76,

I did not mean to quote you. Although you clearly are spitting on the face of our rules,  you are not alone and I am not singling you out.

Nope, I was in the wrong. Just frustrated by how badly this is going. 

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Moderna vaccine is 94.5% effective. 

That’s about what we had hoped for. Great news. 

I was going to leave this thread, but I wanted to clear a few things up first...

I made this statement...

"We try to stem the tide without too much daily disruption until a vaccine is widely available. 

That's all we can do..."

To which @tdhoosier replied...

"That’s all we can do? Really? Yes, Mother Nature will run it’s course, but we are smart enough beings to limit the damage. You don’t just throw up your hands and give up."

I'm not sure if the phrase "stem the tide" was somehow misconstrued, but if it was, this is the common meaning...

Stop the course of a trend or tendency...In no way does it even insinuate "giving up."

As I initially thought, most of the rhetoric was meant to cast blame, even though that was denied. @tdhoosierwanted to focus on contact tracing, and I cited an article from "The Atlantic" that admitted that the horse was kinda out of the barn on that one...Can we try? Sure we can...And I'd be all for it...

But I also think condemning the protests/riots/gatherings/marches ON BOTH SIDES helps stem the tide...Wear a mask, social distance, and for right now sacrifice your 1st amendment rights for the greater good...Of course, Thanksgiving gatherings are more dangerous 🙄

People talk about WWII, NASA, and American Ingenuity...How about fast tracked vaccines? The step up in manufacturing PPE? Ventilators (that we now donate to other countries)? 

As I initially thought, there was an agenda...It came out...But I knew it from the get-go...

And I'll end this rant by saying that I really do consider @Hoosierhoopster @Lostin76and @tdhoosierfriends...If I disavowed anyone that didn't particularly think like I do, I'd be discounting about half of our population...

And at least to me, friendships, even on an internet forum, are much too difficult to come by in the first place for me to ever consider that...

I came here to link what I thought were two important things about the pandemic.... here in Colorado.  But then... i saw the warning post from Blue ( who I like) about locking down this critical thread..... and decided, though what I was going to link was not political.... it just not worth it.

Guys play by the rules.  Please.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I came here to link what I thought were two important things about the pandemic.... here in Colorado.  But then... i saw the warning post from Blue ( who I like) about locking down this critical thread..... and decided, though what I was going to link was not political.... it just not worth it.

Guys play by the rules.  Please.

Nothing political in my post at all...unless someone has an aversion to the truth...

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was going to leave this thread, but I wanted to clear a few things up first...

I made this statement...

"We try to stem the tide without too much daily disruption until a vaccine is widely available. 

That's all we can do..."

To which @tdhoosier replied...

"That’s all we can do? Really? Yes, Mother Nature will run it’s course, but we are smart enough beings to limit the damage. You don’t just throw up your hands and give up."

I'm not sure if the phrase "stem the tide" was somehow misconstrued, but if it was, this is the common meaning...

Stop the course of a trend or tendency...In no way does it even insinuate "giving up."

As I initially thought, most of the rhetoric was meant to cast blame, even though that was denied. @tdhoosierwanted to focus on contact tracing, and I cited an article from "The Atlantic" that admitted that the horse was kinda out of the barn on that one...Can we try? Sure we can...And I'd be all for it...

But I also think condemning the protests/riots/gatherings/marches ON BOTH SIDES helps stem the tide...Wear a mask, social distance, and for right now sacrifice your 1st amendment rights for the greater good...Of course, Thanksgiving gatherings are more dangerous 🙄

People talk about WWII, NASA, and American Ingenuity...How about fast tracked vaccines? The step up in manufacturing PPE? Ventilators (that we now donate to other countries)? 

As I initially thought, there was an agenda...It came out...But I knew it from the get-go...

And I'll end this rant by saying that I really do consider @Hoosierhoopster @Lostin76and @tdhoosierfriends...If I disavowed anyone that didn't particularly think like I do, I'd be discounting about half of our population...

And at least to me, friendships, even on an internet forum, are much too difficult to come by in the first place for me to ever consider that...

Tail between my legs right now. You are right @IUFLA , I read through your initial conclusion too quickly and carelessly. For some reason, in my head I thought you wrote 'stay the course'. Still a nautical term but completely different, which prompted my response. I apologize for that. A little embarrassed too.

For the record, I have condemned mass gatherings on both sides from a COVID stand point multiple times. I'm not sure what that does to the overall argument. I makes me uneasy when I see mass outdoor gatherings at a Trump rally or from the celebrations in the street when the media projected the presidency to Biden. 

Also, to be transparent from a political aspect. When I say more needs to be done on a national level it's not solely a shot at Trump. I have a good friend who is an elected official in local government. Cases are going crazy and local hospitals are at or near capacity. They feel it's best to announce more restrictions by shutting down/limiting capacity of bars, restaurants, gyms, etc. but the economical burden to those business owners and employees weigh heavily on him, his mayor and fellow alderman. So much so, they can't sleep and he (who struggles with depression) is struggling from a mental health standpoint. They would feel better about making, what they think is the right decision, if they could offer financial assistance to the people who will suffer as a result of their policies. But they are hamstrung by the state, who is hamstrung by the federal government - it's delaying their decision when time is of the essence. As we know blame is directed to both sides, who are too busy playing politics rather than passing stimulus money that is desperately needed. That is a problem happening at the national level; an issue that I feel I can point to and safely skirt the political line because the blame is bipartisan in nature. 

I think we can go into a long, long conversation about contact tracing as I've read and listened to many scientists talk about this. I'll leave it at, this is not impossible.....it is/was our most effective way out of this. That doesn't mean it will be easy, but funding, training, guidance, assistance need to start at the federal level because they are the only level that has the resources to effectively start an effective program.

I do think the rush to ventilation machines, the vaccine fast-track program, etc. are great. Remarkable achievements. These vaccines, if approved and effective as they say, are historically monumental. I'm happy to acknowledge that and give credit to where credit is due. But we can walk and chew gum at the same time too. That doesn't take away from the fact that we are at the worst point in this pandemic right now despite a zillion warnings from scientists about a second wave occuring in the fall. I'm frustrated and I'm sure you are frustrated. I don't understand why we can't monitor the situation at hand and critique or actions up to this point and our actions now. If that means constructively critiquing decisions made at local levels than so be it. Fair game as far as I'm concerned.

This should not be a political thing. We get so swept up in who is receiving or assigning blame to an elected official like it's an assault on our judgement for supporting or condemning said elected official. A specific issue should be argued based on its own merit, not who's supporting or opposing said issue. I find it sad that it seems to be this way, because when we step back and take a look at the big picture it's all so ridiculous. Maybe that's just my perception and i can only speak for myself. As I said in the past, I don't care who's right (or wrong); I just want us to get it right. 

• Like 1