Coronavirus

Reacher

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Come on Fouls stop. Stop trying to make this some BS censorship crap. Every single “story” Reacher links is to seek to minimize the Virus, mask-wearing, the level of hospitalizations, the level of deaths, etc. etc. etc. No one fails to see this continuing Schlick. 

Some of you guys continually pound on him for linking stories from far right sources.  Well, he linked one from a major news network and he still gets criticized.

What pisses me off about everything related to Covid is that so many people can't see that there are two sides to the story.  A lot of truths and untruths on both sides.  This thing has been politicized by both sides to the detriment of the country and its people.  

Kids dropping out of school is a major, major, fallout of Covid.  It's not something to sweep under the rug.  No, my kids have not dropped out of school, but their education has suffered immensely.  eLearning does not work well for either of them.  

Edit:  As far as censorship is concerned, I can guarantee you that if someone else linked the exact same story, but prefaced it with 'Kids dropping out of school at an alarming rate', you would not have responded the way you did.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

Dr. Fauci questioning why schools are closed in some communities while bars are allowed to be open.

Fauci said authorities should 'close the bars and keep the schools open' to cut down on coronavirus infection spread (msn.com)

Direct quote from the story.

• "If you look at the data, the spread among children and from children is not really very big at all, not like one would have suspected," Fauci added.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Some of you guys continually pound on him for linking stories from far right sources.  Well, he linked one from a major news network and he still gets criticized.

What pisses me off about everything related to Covid is that so many people can't see that there are two sides to the story.  A lot of truths and untruths on both sides.  This thing has been politicized by both sides to the detriment of the country and its people.  

Kids dropping out of school is a major, major, fallout of Covid.  It's not something to sweep under the rug.  No, my kids have not dropped out of school, but their education has suffered immensely.  eLearning does not work well for either of them.  

Edit:  As far as censorship is concerned, I can guarantee you that if someone else linked the exact same story, but prefaced it with 'Kids dropping out of school at an alarming rate', you would not have responded the way you did.

No Fouls don’t guarantee what I would do. What pisses me off is the constant complete BS in this thread. I am one who thinks it should just be shut down. Of course no one wants to see kids drop out of school. And of course we’re all intelligent enough to see exactly what Reacher has been doing in this thread since day one. Don’t slant this Fouls, it’s obvious. 

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I'm not arguing that at all. I brought up someone saying hospitals were admitting more marginal patients, and thereby benefitting financially. Not one person debated the issue but rather attacked me for not naming a source and assuming it was some right wing propaganda or some nonsense. 

Excess hospitalizations continues and exacerbates public fear and policy decisions. Just like overly sensitive tests creating false positives. All parts of the issues we should be cognizant about. 

Gotcha.  Thanks for clarifying.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No Fouls don’t guarantee what I would do. What pisses me off is the constant complete BS in this thread. I am one who thinks it should just be shut down. Of course no one wants to see kids drop out of school. And of course we’re all intelligent enough to see exactly what Reacher has been doing in this thread since day one. Don’t slant this Fouls, it’s obvious. 

Shutting down the thread would be a chicken-sheet way to deal with the disagreement.  Everyone doesn't have to agree on every side of a story.  I don't agree with people that won't wear masks and won't get the vaccine.  In my mind those two things, working together, will help bring an end to all this.  But, I have the ability to discuss those things without arbitrarily dismissing people who feel otherwise.  

• Like 2

It appears that the U.S. may continue to lag behind other parts of the world in rollout of the vaccine.

US 'shouldn't have closed the door' to more Pfizer Covid vaccine doses this past summer, official says - CNNPolitics

The decision to not purchase more Pfizer doses, which was first reported by The New York Times, has mounted concerns that the company would be unable to fulfill any additional US order until June because of their commitments to other countries.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Shutting down the thread would be a chicken-sheet way to deal with the disagreement.  Everyone doesn't have to agree on every side of a story.  I don't agree with people that won't wear masks and won't get the vaccine.  In my mind those two things, working together, will help bring an end to all this.  But, I have the ability to discuss those things without arbitrarily dismissing people who feel otherwise.  

I just think there's a fine line of disagreeing on a particular subject and parroting disproven and false information. What history has show to be wrong on this board:

- The virus will go away by (fill in the blank: next month, the summer with warm weather, this fall, BY THE ELECTION). WRONG.
- This virus is only the flu. WRONG.
- Talking about a fall spike is a scare tactic by the media, Fauci, governors, etc. (said this past summer and spring) WRONG.
- The biased media is trying to cover up the efficacy of HCQ. WRONG.
- The death numbers are wrong, the case numbers are wrong, the hospitalizations are wrong, etc. WRONG.
- Herd immunity via natural spread is a good idea. WRONG.
- It's mother nature, we can't do anything about it. WRONG.
- The only reason the case numbers increase is because we are testing more. COMPLETELY FLAWED LOGIC.
- Masks don't work. WRONG.
- We, as a country, have done everything we can. WRONG.

One outrageous claim on it's own can be brushed aside, but everything added up seems to me like some are trying undermine the seriousness of the virus. An agenda is being pushed either intentionally or unintentionally. So if you wonder why I get frustrated, it's because the information above has polluted the message put out by scientists, doctors and infectious disease experts. This crap is why nobody is on the same page in our country.  It's not only the strange links; it's the culmination of these links used to push a false reality. And the acceptance of it all like it's 'just innocently sharing an alternate view point' is just mind boggling to me. At some point I have to say that contributing to this exponential spread of this BS is doing more damage than good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Why do you keep this up? Seriously. 

Were you aware of that fact? We have a lot of parents and teachers on this board that might be interested in knowing that- even if you aren't.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Come on Fouls stop. Stop trying to make this some BS censorship crap. Every single “story” Reacher links is to seek to minimize the Virus, mask-wearing, the level of hospitalizations, the level of deaths, etc. etc. etc. No one fails to see this continuing Schlick. 

That's ridiculous. You only focus on those for some reason. Your comment above is a soft type of censorship. If you want me to submit posts / articles to board approved "fact checkers" please let me know. Otherwise, feel free to ignore those posts / this thread since it bothers you so much. Again, I think everyone here can make up their own mind as to the value of what they read. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It appears that the U.S. may continue to lag behind other parts of the world in rollout of the vaccine.

US 'shouldn't have closed the door' to more Pfizer Covid vaccine doses this past summer, official says - CNNPolitics

The decision to not purchase more Pfizer doses, which was first reported by The New York Times, has mounted concerns that the company would be unable to fulfill any additional US order until June because of their commitments to other countries.

I would like to say why this happened, but I can’t b/c of politics. Let’s just say that the powers that be decided they didn’t need Pfizer’s extra doses that were offered. So, Pfizer sold them to other countries.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Plan is in place for Colorado.  Crews have been in place in Denver's International Airport for days....practicing what is needed for distribution.... through out the state.

8 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I would like to say why this happened, but I can’t b/c of politics. Let’s just say that the powers that be decided they didn’t need Pfizer’s extra doses that were offered. So, Pfizer sold them to other countries.

Correct.  It's in the story.  No good excuse for it.  One of many things that could have been done much better.  That said, our shortcomings in handling this are not a Republican or Democratic issue, they are an American issue.  Someone in leadership needs to step up and attempt to heal the wounds and pull the two sides closer together.

But, here's the key.  We, the American people, have to get behind those type of leaders.  Unfortunately, we seem to be incapable of doing that.  We seem set on climbing in our own little trench and staying there.

Edited by 5fouls

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

Were you aware of that fact? We have a lot of parents and teachers on this board that might be interested in knowing that- even if you aren't.

That's ridiculous. You only focus on those for some reason. Your comment above is a soft type of censorship. If you want me to submit posts / articles to board approved "fact checkers" please let me know. Otherwise, feel free to ignore those posts / this thread since it bothers you so much. Again, I think everyone here can make up their own mind as to the value of what they read. 

I'm not going to engage you in debate on the Board. I will only add this -- it is extremely clear what you're doing. You don't fool anyone. I do not like or appreciate it, as a mod. I personally don't care if some think its 'chicken sheet' to shut down this thread. If the complete BS doesn't stop the mods will discuss this again. As an aside, you are a long-time poster here. You've had lots of good posts, lots of good discussions, and I've personally not had a problem with you, until your posts/thread in this part of the board. It's extremely clear that you have an agenda. If you can't put your agenda aside, this thread ends. 

23 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I don’t know why we all can’t digest information, ideas, links and thoughts others offer without feeling the need to breakout the measuring tapes. All of the information shared in this thread is opinion for discussion purposes. All of it. Opinion. Discussion. Forum. Sigh....

Said much better than I've been able to do,

• Thanks 1

The recent blast and taking of sides has really disappointed me to the extent that I’m going to log off and only ghost this site now and then. Opinions or comments that blast someone should be sent via pm. Not publicly. I moderated for years. My brother is a CNN writer and I hear all kinds of this one way crap on holidays. Have a good holiday friends. I’ve had enough

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Inequality said:

The recent blast and taking of sides has really disappointed me to the extent that I’m going to log off and only ghost this site now and then. Opinions or comments that blast someone should be sent via pm. Not publicly. I moderated for years. My brother is a CNN writer and I hear all kinds of this one way crap on holidays. Have a good holiday friends. I’ve had enough

Dude.. just dont read this thread lol come over to the football board... its great. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Correct.  It's in the story.  No good excuse for it.  One of many things that could have been done much better.  That said, our shortcomings in handling this are not a Republican or Democratic issue, they are an American issue.  Someone in leadership needs to step up and attempt to heal the wounds and pull the two sides closer together.

But, here's the key.  We, the American people, have to get behind those type of leaders.  Unfortunately, we seem to be incapable of doing that.  We seem set on climbing in our own little trench and staying there.

Did you guys read the story?

The reasons why they waited on options for more vaccines specifically from Pfizer is clearly outlined. No one knew who, out of the 7 companies working on a vaccination, would be able to produce one first. So if we only go for Pfizer's we've back ourselves into a corner. We've given 1 company a promise to cover more than 1/3rd of our population (the 100 million that we initially purchased would cover 50 million people as 2 doses are required).

Of course, an "anonymous source" Monday morning quarterbacking is nothing new...

Not to mention, why do we even have a vaccination becoming available this early anyway? 

Talk about agendas...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 2:14 PM, hoosier_exotics said:

Paranoia will take a long time to get past.  Then we get to see what the long term issues are going to be, economy, mental, starvation... people in 1918 were quite a bit tougher than this world is today

A thought crossed my mind that was somewhat in relation to this post. I was thinking that the Spanish Flu had to be tough to go through at that time compared to today just because of the technology. And then I was thinking, just imagine how much worse this would've been even 15 years ago. 

Things that we have or can do today that we couldn't 15 years ago. Working remotely was a thing, but not nearly as common. And for those who work at home they now have access to files and info via cloud based services. We didn't have the capabilities to do virtual learning. Kids didn't have chrome books. Not enough bandwidth to do video calls (to the degree we do them now). No shopping services like Insta Cart and Shipt for the compromised to use. Amazon and online shopping was in it's infancy. NO NETFLIX streaming (gasp). No HSN (double gasp). On the plus side social media wasn't as prevalent as it is today...perhaps we wouldn't be as divided. 

Sure we would've made it through, but I think the economical effects would have been much worse. 

Anyway, just a random thought that ran through my head that I thought was interesting. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Reacher said:

More children have dropped out of school than the number of people who have died from Covid.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/public-school-enrollment-coronavirus-pandemic-60-minutes-2020-11-22/

Doesn't surprise me at all. We are going to see the effects of this virus for a LONG time when it comes to education. I have a TOR list I'm responsible for... about 35 students. Half of them are failing over half their classes. Probably 6 of them are failing every single class. I bet 28 of my 35 students have at least one F. 

I can't count how many meetings I've had to try to convince students to stay in school. 

• Sad 1