Coronavirus

Reacher

As most of you know, I've been following this situation closely all year. I present the info below to raise awareness. Time magazine reported that this is spread more by aerosol than droplets. N95 masks are the only ones effective in stopping aerosols. I am not an anti masker, but I think it is important to practice the proper technique when wearing. Don't reuse, touch your face etc. IMO, a mask may lower your odds but not prevent you from catching it. The overwhelming majority of people who do catch it admit to mask wearing. As the data below shows, there might be a possibility that mask wearing increases your chances of getting Covid. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

As most of you know, I've been following this situation closely all year. I present the info below to raise awareness. Time magazine reported that this is spread more by aerosol than droplets. N95 masks are the only ones effective in stopping aerosols. I am not an anti masker, but I think it is important to practice the proper technique when wearing. Don't reuse, touch your face etc. IMO, a mask may lower your odds but not prevent you from catching it. The overwhelming majority of people who do catch it admit to mask wearing. As the data below shows, there might be a possibility that mask wearing increases your chances of getting Covid. 

That's such flawed "research."  States would usually have mask mandates when cases were at their highest points, so of course the number positive per 100k is going to be high during those times.

That would be like saying sunscreen doesn't work because there are more cases of sunburn during the summer.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

So with that, wouldn't the best mask be a N95 ziplock bag, may even a plastic grocery bag if you're on a budget?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

That's such flawed "research."  States would usually have mask mandates when cases were at their highest points, so of course the number positive per 100k is going to be high during those times.

That would be like saying sunscreen doesn't work because there are more cases of sunburn during the summer.

If you read further, there are a number of other studies  (https://rationalground.com/interactive-tool-masks-covid-19/) and comments in that thread that address exactly  that issue. That was my first thought as well. Take it FWIW, and assume your mask will not be 100% effective and possibly detrimental if you are not rigorous in mask hygiene. 

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

If you read further, there are a number of other studies  (https://rationalground.com/interactive-tool-masks-covid-19/) and comments in that thread that address exactly  that issue. That was my first thought as well. Take it FWIW, and assume your mask will not be 100% effective and possibly detrimental if you are not rigorous in mask hygiene. 

I agree that masks aren't 100% effective, but I highly question anything that involves people saying whether or not they are wearing a mask.  Anything that relies on someone being honest about wearing a mask brings in a lot of doubt for me.  Some people are afraid to admit they don't wear them all the time, and others will blatantly lie one way or another to try to skew numbers.  No way to know for sure on any mask data.

• Like 1

The virus is spreading at home.  People don't wear masks at home, even if there is a mask mandate.  Lifting mask mandates will result in more spread, because the virus would spread more in public, which would take it into more homes, where people don't wear masks.  It's a vicious cycle.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:44 AM, 5fouls said:

How hard is it to report accurate numbers.  Geesh.  9 months into this thing and we still can't get the numbers right.

Indiana health commissioner says correcting reporting error will lower inflated COVID-19 positive rate | News | wdrb.com

More sloppy numbers-

https://www.freedomfoundation.com/press-release/death-certificate-analysis-shows-washingtons-covid-19-death-count-remains-inflated/