Coronavirus

Reacher

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Just got back from getting the 1st shot of the Moderna vaccine.  No side effects so far.  A couple nurses working are parents of kids I've had in class, so we talked a little bit.  They said only about 30% of the people who are eligible have been getting the shot which is why the could get us in early than they expected.  We're a small, rural area, so I'm not really surprised by that, but hopefully other places are higher.  30% won't cut it.

We just got the text from our hospital system to schedule our vaccine appt. We will of course get it, but it’s a little frustrating that we (who are able to work from home) are getting it now just b/c we work at a big time university hospital and the people who are working in grocery stores and restaurants won’t get the opportunity to get it until it’s more widely available. Even then, they’ll have to wait in a line all day at a clinic to get it. I can just schedule it online and zip in and zip out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We just got the text from our hospital system to schedule our vaccine appt. We will of course get it, but it’s a little frustrating that we (who are able to work from home) are getting it now just b/c we work at a big time university hospital and the people who are working in grocery stores and restaurants won’t get the opportunity to get it until it’s more widely available. Even then, they’ll have to wait in a line all day at a clinic to get it. I can just schedule it online and zip in and zip out. 

What happens if you don't go? Won't that shot filter down to some elderly person and then you can get yours next month?

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Just got back from getting the 1st shot of the Moderna vaccine.  No side effects so far.  A couple nurses working are parents of kids I've had in class, so we talked a little bit.  They said only about 30% of the people who are eligible have been getting the shot which is why the could get us in early than they expected.  We're a small, rural area, so I'm not really surprised by that, but hopefully other places are higher.  30% won't cut it.

Good to hear that about the Moderna one too. 

The only “side effect” I had with the Pfizer one was a sore arm the next morning (sort of like when you were younger and someone would punch your arm with their knuckles out). 

We’ll see what the booster is like next week. 

• Like 2

For @IU Scott and others dealing with Covid, facing exposure at work and / or with contributing health issues, please consider taking Melatonin in addition to Vitamin D and probiotics. They all help support your immune system. New research out of the Cleveland Clinic backs up the efficacy of Melatonin.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/12/covid-19-sleep-pandemic-zzzz/617454/

• Like 1

Not about Covid directly, but maybe a byproduct of it...has anyone else experienced very poor service from fast food restaurants recently? In the last few weeks, I've gotten takeout from Chik-fil-A, Dairy Queen and Pizza Hut, and all three of those places screwed up my order. Dairy Queen got it wrong after I read it back to them a second time, and STILL got it wrong when I brought my food back to show them it wasn't what I ordered. 

Am I just unlucky? I keep hearing about how these restaurants are struggling to find good help, and it made me wonder if the masks are distracting employees and actually preventing them from doing their best work. 

20 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Not about Covid directly, but maybe a byproduct of it...has anyone else experienced very poor service from fast food restaurants recently? In the last few weeks, I've gotten takeout from Chik-fil-A, Dairy Queen and Pizza Hut, and all three of those places screwed up my order. Dairy Queen got it wrong after I read it back to them a second time, and STILL got it wrong when I brought my food back to show them it wasn't what I ordered. 

Am I just unlucky? I keep hearing about how these restaurants are struggling to find good help, and it made me wonder if the masks are distracting employees and actually preventing them from doing their best work. 

What I have experienced is they are working with less staff because they aren't doing nearly the business.  I give them grace and still go from time to time because I want them all to survive this.  

40 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What I have experienced is they are working with less staff because they aren't doing nearly the business.  I give them grace and still go from time to time because I want them all to survive this.  

Might it depend on where you live and what restrictions are in place?

Here in Texas, I haven't noticed any discernable changes from fast food or sit down restaurants...Popeyes will mess your order up everytime virus or no virus...

There are some social distancing and mask restrictions in restaurants, but we go out a lot and the eating places are pretty packed...

I spent 15 minutes outside waiting to get into Shake Shack today...and they didn't mess up my order😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Might it depend on where you live and what restrictions are in place?

Here in Texas, I haven't noticed any discernable changes from fast food or sit down restaurants...Popeyes will mess your order up everytime virus or no virus...

There are some social distancing and mask restrictions in restaurants, but we go out a lot and the eating places are pretty packed...

I spent 15 minutes outside waiting to get into Shake Shack today...and they didn't mess up my order😁

Arby’s- drive through only- messed up my order today. Just an order for 2 people so not that difficult.

I often wonder that if someone is gonna get minimum wage regardless of performance do they really care 

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I often wonder that if someone is gonna get minimum wage regardless of performance do they really care 

I don't think it'll matter soon...Shake Shack had iPad like devices you ordered from, and then they sent you a text when your order was ready...

They'll automate pretty much all fast food job functions in the next 10 years...just a guy in the back room, monitoring the computer while he surfs the web...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think it'll matter soon...Shake Shack had iPad like devices you ordered from, and then they sent you a text when your order was ready...

They'll automate pretty much all fast food job functions in the next 10 years...just a guy in the back room, monitoring the computer while he surfs the web...

Karl Marx postulated this about 170 yrs ago. Technology and automation will eventually replace most labor.

This is what the Great Reset is all about.  

These stimulus packages and stimulus payments are the beginning of getting us used to universal income.

To the Mods, I feel like I'm responsible and respectful, just bringing a different perspective to what is happening.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

3 timezs in a row at DQ they got my order wrong

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

In my town my DQ is a 45+ minute wait. 

I love DQ but not enough to wait in line for an hour. But when I get the chance, I love the Flamethrower burger and onion rings.  So good. 

I don't really like their food thatuch but it is close to my house

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't really like their food thatuch but it is close to my house

I live in a small town. 

We have McDonald's, DQ, a great pizza place, and Chinese. And gas station food. 

We live 45 minutes south of Bloomington.  So we get groceries twice a month from Bloomington and learned to cook for ourselves.  

We can make better food at home than we get from going out. 

Edited by mrflynn03

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I live in a small town. 

We have McDonald's, DQ, a great pizza place, and Chinese. And gas station food. 

We live 45 minutes south of Bloomington.  So we get groceries twice a month from Bloomington and learned to cook for ourselves.  

We can make better food at home than we get from going out. 

With everyone in my household having the virus it has been hard getting food.  So the closest place is a DQ or Hardee's and go through the drive through.  Most of the better restaurants are on the other side of town.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

With everyone in my household having the virus it has been hard getting food.  So the closest place is a DQ or Hardee's and go through the drive through.  Most of the better restaurants are on the other side of town.

Hard getting food how?  Like not being able to go grocery shopping?  I will help if I can. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2