Coronavirus

Reacher

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Reacher,and @5fouls, I highly recommend being careful on this based on personal experience.  Just be careful on the types of alchohol used. Stay away from methanol. 

Worked in a microbiology lab and have had live culture salmonella and listeria splash in my face. Used ethanol and 70% isopropyl alcohol to sanitize.  Isnt a pleasant experience.  

From the article-

"The SaNOtize treatment is based on nitric oxide, a natural nanomolecule produced by the human body with proven anti-microbial properties shown to have a direct effect on SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. The treatment can be delivered by nasal spray, throat gargle or nasal lavage."

I hope nobody is thinking of putting sanitizer up their nose.

Yesterday Indiana reported 12 Covid related deaths.  Today they reported 80.

Yesterday Alabama reported 2 Covid related deaths.  Today they reported 234

I know you have to look at the averages to get a true sense of improvement, but how hard is it to send in your daily reports instead of hoarding them?  Unnecessary big numbers do nothing more than cause confusion about how much progress (or lack of progress) is being made.. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yesterday Indiana reported 12 Covid related deaths.  Today they reported 80.

Yesterday Alabama reported 2 Covid related deaths.  Today they reported 234

I know you have to look at the averages to get a true sense of improvement, but how hard is it to send in your daily reports instead of hoarding them?  Unnecessary big numbers do nothing more than cause confusion about how much progress (or lack of progress) is being made.. 

How long would this level of ineffeiciency last, even in the smallest privatly owned buisnesses..    OMFG.

• Like 1

Four of us just spent 45 minutes on 10 different screens refreshing every 60 seconds to get my mother-in-law a vaccination appointment in FL. What a busted system.

One of us got in and entered everything and then it kicked to an error screen. Thankfully, she’s scheduled for this Sat. 

30 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Four of us just spent 45 minutes on 10 different screens refreshing every 60 seconds to get my mother-in-law a vaccination appointment in FL. What a busted system.

One of us got in and entered everything and then it kicked to an error screen. Thankfully, she’s scheduled for this Sat. 

When I went online this weekend to schedule my mom for a test (In Indiana), I was presented with location, date, and time options.  To be clear, I searched for, and received, a date, time, and location that were supposedly available.  I selected one.  I then entered all her information, and received an error that there were no vaccinations available at that location.  Not just at that date and time, but at that vaccination site.  

I proceeded to choose another location offered to me, and was presented with 'available' date and times.  Same result.  Went through a third location, and got the same thing yet again.

Finally, on the 4th location, I was able to get her registered.   So, when I finished, I'm asking myself why all of these locations offered to me for her were suddenly not available.  The only thing I could come up with is that some of the health questions I answered for her scared them off.  Possibly they were sites that did not accept someone with her health conditions.  That's fine and understandable.  But, clear that up at the beginning and stop offering me those locations if she ultimately can't get vaccinated there.     

Edit:  Or, it could be that the system was just totally screwed up.

Edited by 5fouls

Elie Lilly treatment reduces hospitalizations by 70% for those who already have contracted the disease.  Treatment was used on Trump, Guliani, and Chris Christie when they had Covid.

Requires an infusion versus an injection, but the results are definitely worth the inconvenience.  Story indicates doses are not super-plentiful, but are sitting on the shelves unused. One drawback is that It must be given early in the progression of the disease.  Definitely sounds like something to ask about though.

Eli Lilly says monoclonal antibody cocktail cuts hospitalizations by 70% for high-risk COVID-19 patients (msn.com)

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

When I went online this weekend to schedule my mom for a test (In Indiana), I was presented with location, date, and time options.  To be clear, I searched for, and received, a date, time, and location that were supposedly available.  I selected one.  I then entered all her information, and received an error that there were no vaccinations available at that location.  Not just at that date and time, but at that vaccination site.  

I proceeded to choose another location offered to me, and was presented with 'available' date and times.  Same result.  Went through a third location, and got the same thing yet again.

Finally, on the 4th location, I was able to get her registered.   So, when I finished, I'm asking myself why all of these locations offered to me for her were suddenly not available.  The only thing I could come up with is that some of the health questions I answered for her scared them off.  Possibly they were sites that did not accept someone with her health conditions.  That's fine and understandable.  But, clear that up at the beginning and stop offering me those locations if she ultimately can't get vaccinated there.     

Edit:  Or, it could be that the system was just totally screwed up.

I would bet it’s the system. So she’s scheduled?

The Florida system was for healthcare workers and 65 or older. Can’t imagine hat it’s going to be like when they open it up to everyone. 

This is definitely a huge undertaking for states and health systems and I know they are already strapped for cash. Although the one we signed my MIL up for was run by Publix. 

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

The Florida system was for healthcare workers and 65 or older. Can’t imagine hat it’s going to be like when they open it up to everyone. 

This is definitely a huge undertaking for states and health systems and I know they are already strapped for cash. Although the one we signed my MIL up for was run by Publix. 

She is scheduled, but not until February 17th.  

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

That's interesting. I read a couple of weeks ago how states were trying to create their own registration systems and there were going to problems because they wouldn't be able to handle the traffic. Similar to the crashing of this site at the end of close games....too much traffic. In that article it said that the registration will run smoother once bigger private companies get involved like CVS, Walgreens, Publix, etc. because over time their websites have ben built to withstand heavy traffic (i.e. online prescription ordering, prompt care scheduling, e commerce, etc.). States without assistance from the federal level never really had a chance to make this work - they didn't have the money or resources to create a dependable registration system of this magnitude in such a short period of time. We essentially just dumped millions of vaccines on states' lap and expected them to start vaccinating with no foresight of distribution challenges. 

It's not my intention to assign blame because I honestly don't know who that falls on, but I find it astonishing that some of these problems 'snuck up on us': not enough vaccination sites? not enough vaccinators? Shouldn't we have been training people since last fall to to administer these shots? This isn't Monday morning quarterbacking either;; I've heard people being interviewed on podcasts warning of these issues since last summer. I think I even posted something 150 pages back that warned about the challenges of vaccine distribution. Sometimes the way this pandemic has been handled in general reminds me of this scene in Austin Powers:

jWX3iL.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

. States without assistance from the federal level never really had a chance to make this work - they didn't have the money or resources to create a dependable registration system of this magnitude in such a short period of time. We essentially just dumped millions of vaccines on states' lap and expected them to start vaccinating with no foresight of distribution challenges. 

It's not my intention to assign blame because I honestly don't know who that falls on, but I find it astonishing that some of these problems 'snuck up on us': not enough vaccination sites? not enough vaccinators? Shouldn't we have been training people since last fall to to administer these shots? This isn't Monday morning quarterbacking either;; I've heard people being interviewed on podcasts warning of these issues since last summer. I think I even posted something 150 pages back that warned about the challenges of vaccine distribution. Sometimes the way this pandemic has been handled in general reminds me of this scene in Austin Powers:

Yeah, it’s not like we didn’t know that the vaccines were coming. It’s a lot to ask of states and strapped health departments. 

No wonder Amazon has talked about taking over vaccinating all of their folks...

Our health center has over 40K employees between the three sites. We got a MyChart notification to sign up and then signed up, no muss, no fuss. Could not have been easier or more seamless.

The experience of four of us trying to get one senior citizen signed up today was bonkers. I saw posts on Twitter of people that said their new routine was waking up at 6am to stare at their screens for four hours trying to get an appointment. 

• Like 1

Local government often barely has the resources to do what they’re currently attempting. Throwing all of this vaccine rollout on top while at the same time their budgets (and in some cases staff sizes) are shrinking by 20-30% was always a recipe for disaster unless they got significant federal help. Funding to state and local governments has been a key sticking point in relief negotiation in congress. 

• Like 1