Coronavirus

Reacher

Peer reviewed study about to be published. If I caught Covid, I'd be pushing to be treated with this. Seriously, what's the harm? This med has been used for decades across the world and is seen as extremely safe.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/study-finds-84-fewer-hospitalizations-for-patients-treated-with-controversial-drug-hydroxychloroquine

On 12/19/2020 at 3:20 PM, IU Scott said:

So far neither had been real severe but it seems this time is worse

My buddy's baby got it at 3 months and 6 months.  Makes you wonder how a vaccine is going to do any good if natural antibodies are only good for a few months or less.  

Get well soon, I will be praying for you.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

My buddy's baby got it at 3 months and 6 months.  Makes you wonder how a vaccine is going to do any good if natural antibodies are only good for a few months or less.  

Get well soon, I will be praying for you.  

The vaccine may not totally eliminate the virus, but it could/should reduce the impacts.  I look at this vaccine to be more like the flu vaccine versus the smallpox vaccine. 

Just now, 5fouls said:

The vaccine may not totally eliminate the virus, but it could/should reduce the impacts.  I look at this vaccine to be more like the flu vaccine versus the smallpox vaccine. 

We all know the flu vaccine is barely effective if effective at all.  Another if is if they select the correct strain, with it being all a guess.  

Either way.  I'll probably get one at some point but I'm not rushing.  Bunch of the guys are getting it this week.  I could have but am waiting to see reactions and also want more info and data.  I think it was the pfizer vac.  

What I won't do is get a vaccine every 3-6 months for the rest of my life.  Especially not one that I have a 99.96% chance of survival, if I even get it.  God knows how many times I've been high risk exposed.  I know factually over 20.  I've lost count. 

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We all know the flu vaccine is barely effective if effective at all.  Another if is if they select the correct strain, with it being all a guess.  

Either way.  I'll probably get one at some point but I'm not rushing.  Bunch of the guys are getting it this week.  I could have but am waiting to see reactions and also want more info and data.  I think it was the pfizer vac.  

What I won't do is get a vaccine every 3-6 months for the rest of my life.  Especially not one that I have a 99.96% chance of survival, if I even get it.  God knows how many times I've been high risk exposed.  I know factually over 20.  I've lost count. 

I disagree that the flu vaccine is not effective.  It absolutely is effective at reducing the severity of the symptoms.  Yes, there will always be exceptions..  People that don't smoke can still get lung cancer.  People that aren't obese still get heart disease and diabetes.  So, yes, people the get a vaccine (whether it be the flu or Covid) may still get sick.  But, a lot fewer will and even fewer will have serious symptoms.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I disagree that the flu vaccine is not effective.  It absolutely is effective at reducing the severity of the symptoms.  Yes, there will always be exceptions..  People that don't smoke can still get lung cancer.  People that aren't obese still get heart disease and diabetes.  So, yes, people the get a vaccine (whether it be the flu or Covid) may still get sick.  But, a lot fewer will and even fewer will have serious symptoms.

Sure.  That's the company line that has been repeated at least 55 billion times.  Did weeks of research on vaccines a few years ago.  At that time it was a 55 billion dollar a year industry.  If they spend 100 million dollars in marketing, that's still 54.9 billion dollars.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Sure.  That's the company line that has been repeated at least 55 billion times.  Did weeks of research on vaccines a few years ago.  At that time it was a 55 billion dollar a year industry.  If they spend 100 million dollars in marketing, that's still 54.9 billion dollars.  

If vaccines don't work why don't we have smallpox any longer?  Why doesn't measles kill people liked it used to?  Polio?  I can understand there being some reluctance in this case because the vaccines were approved quicker than normal. But, I've never understood the general condemnation of vaccines by certain individuals and groups.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That's how capitalism works. You make something that works or is needed and private companies profit from it. 

All due respect, but i'm going to listen to every single medical professional that I know personally (and I have a lot in my life: doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc.), who are educated in healthcare, get the vaccines themselves, and preach their importance. 

I'm pretty sure they aren't paid off by big pharma to lie and smart enough to not be brainwashed by marketing or whatever. 

Also, the very first people in the control group for the COVID vaccine still have antibodies. The most recent studies are showing that the vaccine last for AT LEAST 3 months. So the 3-6 month time frame is a pure guess because it's impossible to know until one of these people loses their immunities.....which none have yet. In other terms, the ceiling for this time frame is unknown and the floor is growing every day. 

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If vaccines don't work why don't we have smallpox any longer?  Why doesn't measles kill people liked it used to?  Polio?  I can understand there being some reluctance in this case because the vaccines were approved quicker than normal. But, I've never understood the general condemnation of vaccines by certain individuals and groups.

I didn't say any of that.  

There is some doubt over the vaccine industry and rightfully so.  

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

That's how capitalism works. You make something that works or is needed and private companies profit from it. 

All due respect, but i'm going to listen to every single medical professional that I know personally (and I have a lot in my life: doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc.), who are educated in healthcare, get the vaccines themselves, and preach their importance. 

I'm pretty sure they aren't paid off by big pharma to lie and smart enough to not be brainwashed by marketing or whatever. 

Also, the very first people in the control group for the COVID vaccine still have antibodies. The most recent studies are showing that the vaccine last for AT LEAST 3 months. So the 3-6 month time frame is a pure guess because it's impossible to know until one of these people loses their immunities.....which none have yet. In other terms, the ceiling for this time frame is unknown and the floor is growing every day. 

You don't think there's the remote possibility that a Dr can be bought at a price?  Like I said.  100 million annually towards marketing can go a long way.  

I literally don't know one person that claims man I'm glad I got that flu shot because my flu this year was so mild.  Never heard that once in what, 20 years of pushing flu shots now.  Usually people say they got the flu shot and still had the worst flu experience of their life.  

My negativity towards vaccines is 95% the flu.  However if you want to open Pandoras box, research what happened in africa with good ole boy Bill Gates vaccine push.  He should die 1000 slow and painful deaths.  

I wonder about Scott or my friends baby.  Scott got sick in the spring if I remember right, now what, 5-7 months later.  My buddy's baby only 3 months apart.  I hope and pray the vaccine somehow out performs nature's immune system.  

Im not trying to break the record here but I'll wait and let old or compromised people get the shot for a virus I have a 99.96 chance of survival, if I ever catch it.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

You don't think there's the remote possibility that a Dr can be bought at a price?  Like I said.  100 million annually towards marketing can go a long way.  

See, this is the game about conspiracy theories. "Isn't there a remote possibility?" Sure. Is it likely? No.

You are talking about a bribery on a mass scale. Are you suggesting my neighbor is bought off? Are you suggesting my good friend who is a pharmacist has been bought off? My P.A. friend that I've known almost my entire life? My mother in law who's a nurse? 

How many doctors are bought off? It can't be only a hand full because then their influence wouldn't be as far reaching. So, in the game of contemplating "remote possibilities" it would only make sense that multiple doctors...tens of thousands are being paid off. The problem: when a bribery pool gets that big it's extremely unlikely for the 'truth' not to slip out. It'd be the best kept secret in the history of secrets. Not to mention the ethical dilemma that'd pose, violations of the hippocratic oath, losses in medical licenses, etc. By your math $100 million divided amongst 10,000 doctors would only be $10k per doctor. Would a doctor put that all on the line for less than 5% of one year's salary? 

And then there'd be no money left to pay off all the independent scientists whose research proves the efficacy of vaccines. 

That' a whole lot of variable to cleanly fall into place. Asking if it's a remote possibility is like Lloyd Christmas keeping hope alive because there's a one in a million chance he'll end up with Mary Swanson. "......so you're saying there's a chance."

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

See, this is the game about conspiracy theories. "Isn't there a remote possibility?" Sure. Is it likely? No.

You are talking about a bribery on a mass scale. Are you suggesting my neighbor is bought off? Are you suggesting my good friend who is a pharmacist has been bought off? My P.A. friend that I've known almost my entire life? My mother in law who's a nurse? 

How many doctors are bought off? It can't be only a hand full because then their influence wouldn't be as far reaching. So, in the game of contemplating "remote possibilities" it would only make sense that multiple doctors...tens of thousands are being paid off. The problem: when a bribery pool gets that big it's extremely unlikely for the 'truth' not to slip out. It'd be the best kept secret in the history of secrets. Not to mention the ethical dilemma that'd pose, violations of the hippocratic oath, losses in medical licenses, etc. By your math $100 million divided amongst 10,000 doctors would only be $10k per doctor. Would a doctor put that all on the line for less than 5% of one year's salary? 

And then there'd be no money left to pay off all the independent scientists whose research proves the efficacy of vaccines. 

That' a whole lot of variable to cleanly fall into place. Asking if it's a remote possibility is like Lloyd Christmas keeping hope alive because there's a one in a million chance he'll end up with Mary Swanson. "......so you're saying there's a chance."

The narrative of the flu vaccine lessens the effects has been repeated for so long that no one questions it, until you've taken the vaccine, still get the flu and crawled around your house for a week at near death, only to declare, I'll never get the flu vaccine again.  

It's engrained in culture to trust pharma.  All the way through academia(edit because of academia).  I have a pharmacist friend, a few drs in the family and nurse practitioners too.  

Edit-Look, I don't have a favorable opinion of pharma nor the current vaccine industry, due to weeks or research, yes on the internet, with Dr published research articles.  Our conversation is not likely to change that.  I respect you and your right to your opinion.  Your experiences may be different.  That's all ok with me.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I literally don't know one person that claims man I'm glad I got that flu shot because my flu this year was so mild.  Never heard that once in what, 20 years of pushing flu shots now.  Usually people say they got the flu shot and still had the worst flu experience of their life.  

My negativity towards vaccines is 95% the flu.  However if you want to open Pandoras box, research what happened in africa with good ole boy Bill Gates vaccine push.  He should die 1000 slow and painful deaths.  

I wonder about Scott or my friends baby.  Scott got sick in the spring if I remember right, now what, 5-7 months later.  My buddy's baby only 3 months apart.  I hope and pray the vaccine somehow out performs nature's immune system.  

Im not trying to break the record here but I'll wait and let old or compromised people get the shot for a virus I have a 99.96 chance of survival, if I ever catch it.  

I've been getting the flu vaccine through work the last 10 years or so.  Have not had the flu since.  Didn't get the flu every year before I started getting the vaccine, but I did get it every now and then.  At least for me, the flu vaccine seems to work.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The narrative of the flu vaccine lessens the effects has been repeated for so long that no one questions it, until you've taken the vaccine, still get the flu and crawled around your house for a week at near death, only to declare, I'll never get the flu vaccine again.  

It's engrained in culture to trust pharma.  All the way through academia.  I have a pharmacist friend, a few drs in the family and nurse practitioners too.  

It's because the flu vaccine's efficacy is only 40-60% in a given year. They make no secret about this; it's mandated that they release this info every year. That's about a 50% chance of it working.....give or take.

This is also why I don't think comparing the flu vaccine to the COVID vaccine is a healthy exercise. It's apples and oranges. The COVID vaccine is 95% effective. So, there's only a 5% chance of the scenario you painted above happening vs. a 50% chance. 

Edited by tdhoosier

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I've been getting the flu vaccine through work the last 10 years or so.  Have not had the flu since.  Didn't get the flu every year before I started getting the vaccine, but I did get it every now and then.  At least for me, the flu vaccine seems to work.  

Same with me...I got the flu shot all 20 years I was in the USAF...Never got the flu...First year after I retired (2000) I got so sick with it, I was basically bedridden...Get it every year on my own now...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It's because the flu vaccine's efficacy is only 40-60% in a given year. They make no secret about this; it's mandated that they release this info every year. That's about a 50% chance of it working.....give or take.

This is also why I don't think comparing the flu vaccine to the COVID vaccine is a healthy exercise. It's apples and oranges. The COVID vaccine is 95% effective. So, there's only a 5% chance of the scenario you painted above happening vs. a 50% chance. 

True.  I just hope the antibodies last longer than what we have seen.

I'm guessing this particular coronavirus is here to stay sadly.