Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's what I'm thinking. I did the first layer last September but have a few spots I want to clean up for them. Just curious. Thanks all!

Do you use a crabgrass preventer in the spring? If so, it may keep your new seed from germinating.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Do you use a crabgrass preventer in the spring? If so, it may keep your new seed from germinating.

I'm kind of flying blind. I think I have it figured out. Just want the tenants to be happy is all. Just doing another layer of seed and see what happens in 60 days. Kinda of like our season haha.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm kind of flying blind. I think I have it figured out. Just want the tenants to be happy is all. Just doing another layer of seed and see what happens in 60 days. Kinda of like our season haha.

Just didn’t want you wasting seed and wondering why it didn’t germinate if a preventer will be used. Tough to get grass mature enough to survive a summer if planted in spring anyway. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone know if it's ok to put grass seed down this time of year in Indy? 

Mid to end of Feb. You may lose a bit to the birds but as the freeze/ thaw happens and then March rains, it will nicely push the seed in. All of this action not only places the seed, it also "wakes" the seed to start the growing process. Just like farmers planting spring wheat. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

How much soil in raised beds do I need to have? Foot deep for basil, cilantro, thyme,etc...

I think that is plenty for herbs. I think we only had like 8 inches for our herbs at our old house. Deeper is better for other veggies such as carrots, tomatoes etc.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 4:29 PM, rico said:

Garden is tilled.  Now I got to wait 2 months before I can plant?  WTF?

Started my seeds and am going to transplant to pots and ground sooner this year. IDGAF if I lose a few....my goal is to have Early Girls ready by Father's Day. Not like last year where led the world with Green Tomatoes after August 1st.

Good luck to all!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Started my seeds and am going to transplant to pots and ground sooner this year. IDGAF if I lose a few....my goal is to have Early Girls ready by Father's Day. Not like last year where led the world with Green Tomatoes after August 1st.

Good luck to all!

Um, where are you? It's not usually a "I lose some" issue, it's an all or none thing. If you start early (too early) maybe make a redneck plastic sheeted greenhouse over them until after its not "to early"? One night of unwanted frost, will only move you backwards 4 weeks since the plant has to recover and start again. instead of just going.  

Ask me why I say this!

Mr Miaggie had a saying.

Just now, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Um, where are you? It's not usually a "I lose some" issue, it's an all or none thing. If you start early (too early) maybe make a redneck plastic sheeted greenhouse over them until after its not "to early"? One night of unwanted frost, will only move you backwards 4 weeks since the plant has to recover and start again. instead of just going.  

Ask me why I say this!

Mr Miaggie had a saying.

North Side of Indy. We've been pretty warm honestly this year. Ground is moist and good to go. I'm taking a chance but honestly it worked last year for friends who started pots/soil in early April instead of early May.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

North Side of Indy. We've been pretty warm honestly this year. Ground is moist and good to go. I'm taking a chance but honestly it worked last year for friends who started pots/soil in early April instead of early May.

AHHH ok. Early april, yea you've got decent odds. I was thinking TODAY... I know only a couple weeks, but these are a very important couple weeks to "rush the monkey". I'd still have sheets, plastic sheeting, straw.... available for at least a couple weeks and watch the weather like your plants lives depend on it.... because they do.

I've honestly never had better success than waiting a couple days/ weeks when it is "right". Going to fast, even a few days has always (I'm 55) stunted the plant and made a worse yield.

2-3 degrees of ground temp, and the phase of the moon, mean A LOT..... There is a reason they've written about them since Benjamin Franklin....... Maybe before? lol

Patience Grasshoppa... Or build a redneck green house! 

FYI. My granpa, life long farmer, died around 1982ish.. BEST garden I've still ever seen still to this day. (old German eff'er). Had a pit that he dug in the ground. About 2' foot deep, 5' long, 3' wide. The bottom had about 6" of cow crap in it. He had some old, house glass window sashes (oh, this is Bloomington area fyi, Kinser pike and 37) that he would place over the top of the hole in the December time frame. Around the edges of the windows laying on the ground, over this hole, he would matt down some shredded straw to prevent and frosty air from infiltrating this micro in ground enclosure. That is where he would start all of his seeds for the next year growing season. It was an in ground greenhouse/ arboretum  . Cost, dig a hole, find some throw away glass window sashes and a $5 bail of straw. 

He'd start all of his needed seedlings in the december time frame and by 11apr they were healthy, happy and already head and shoulders above any others. They were already "weatherd" from temp changes, so coming out of the in ground set up in april wasn't really a shock. TONS of cow shit to eat.... I'm surprised we didn't have 20# tomato's ! 

Holy crap... I guess I got caught up, driving down memory lane. Sorry for the long post, but maybe there's a nugget in there that you and other can use? 

OHH since I can imagine that I am getting a standing ovation, here's the oncore about my granpa (who really wasn't my granpa at all, but he's the guy that helped my single mother grandma, focus my dad to be a better, focused man through farming). Anyway.... 

I was about 11-12 years old. MAYBE 13?? Just old enough that I thought I needed to carry a wallet like the big boys did. I had nothing it it. Not even a news paper clipping (this would have been 78'-81'ish). Empty freaking wallet, which I would get used to for many years as an adult, BTW. Anyway, it was spring planting season and I got to, for the first time EVER, be assigned a tractor and plow. I was following in behind dad and granpa. Oliver 77 and 3 bottom plow, each 16" wide. weak ass oliver was stock and both Dad's and Granpas' Super M Farmal's had been souped up. Corksuckers!! anyway.. One day that spring, bouncing in the seat I lost my friggin wallet, gone, no where to be found. It'd slipped out of the back pocket of my 79# little ass and was gone. Devastated. You can't lose your wallet.... EVER. That was april'ish that year. But life had to go on. 

Fast forward, it was nov/ dec time frame, and I was sent with the Farmall H, an upgrade kinda, although built with less power to start with, and a bush hog to "chop" mow corn stalks for easier decomposition and plant food for the next year. After a full day of going back and forth, The mower would have a 3' pile of chaff on top of it. I normally kicked it off in the field, but this one evening, I didn't. I drove back to the barn, parked the tractor and dad and I were ready to go home. and did so.

We came back the next morning, bright and early as dad always said. I went to gt my tractor and bushhog, check oil, fuel up, general look over... I'LL BE GOT DAMN. There on top of that 3' pile of corn stalk chaff, on top of "my" brush hog (that should have been cleaned off in the field the night before), was my exact wallet that I had lost the April before during planing season. EXACT same wallet. Perfectly perched right there on top. THe brown'ish leather and tan corn stalks kinda blended, but I SAW IT!

While it was out running around the last 8+ months, when I opened it up.... The some bitch also brought a $20 bill home....... (big $ in the late 70's early 80's). I couldn't figure it out and every one (dad, grampa, mom....) was just as surprised as I was. Damndest thing any of use had ever seen.           

• Like 2

• 1 month later...