'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mantle was my dad's favorite player.  Dad passed in 1984, but I still have fantasies about stumbling across one of these cards somewhere in mom's house.

Mickey Mantle baseball card shatters record, sells for $5.2 million (espn.com)

Interesting excerpt from the story that I did not know.

While not Mantle rookies, the 1952 cards are renowned for being Topps' first annual set and for having been dumped, by the thousands, into the Hudson River in 1960 after overproduction.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:32 AM, 5fouls said:

Mantle was my dad's favorite player.  Dad passed in 1984, but I still have fantasies about stumbling across one of these cards somewhere in mom's house.

Mickey Mantle baseball card shatters record, sells for $5.2 million (espn.com)

Interesting excerpt from the story that I did not know.

While not Mantle rookies, the 1952 cards are renowned for being Topps' first annual set and for having been dumped, by the thousands, into the Hudson River in 1960 after overproduction.

Growing up in upstate NY, Mantle was also one of my favorite Yankee players. My 13 year old grandson got an autographed Mariano Rivera baseball for Christmas, he was pretty excited.

On a side note, the Yanks did sign Kluber and also came to terms with DJ LaMahieu.

All is good in Yankeeland......

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Growing up in upstate NY, Mantle was also one of my favorite Yankee players. My 13 year old grandson got an autographed Mariano Rivera baseball for Christmas, he was pretty excited.

On a side note, the Yanks did sign Kluber and also came to terms with DJ LaMahieu.

All is good in Yankeeland......

A friend of mine whose family was originally from NYC and area had a baseball autographed by Babe Ruth, Lou Gerhig, and Mickey Mantle.  His father and uncle got the first two autographs, but he got Mantle's which is the story.  He waited outside the Yankees clubhouse for Mantle.  Sure enough Mantle came with Billy Martin in tow.  He told Mantle the story of the ball, and Mantle said he'd be honored to sign.  He did, and then he said to Billy you should sign, too.  My friend said he nearly had a stroke, but felt he couldn't say anything.   So later he had Martin's signature removed from the ball.

Lester has been declining for sure but throwing him a low ball offer at the end just isn't a good look for the single most valuable free agent signing in Cubs history. He jumped on board with a giant leap of faith. To put him in perspective I found this stat on twitter. 

This is NOT a knock on Clayton Kershaw but he would have to throw 126.2 scoreless innings in the postseason to match Jon Lester's 2.51 career ERA in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just don't know how people even get to those positions in life. Maybe I'm the strange one but when I'm out in public or whatever....I just assume a camera or mic is always rolling. 

"Big Brother" is always watching for sure.

Archived