'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I am so sick and tired of the Reds exploring low cost options.  It's a gaping hole at one of the most important spots on the roster and the Reds are treating it like they are trying to find a third string catcher.  

Where in the hell are the Barry Larkins, Paul O'Neils, and Eric Davises?  Used to be they produced their own talent.  I look at the roster and I don't like what I see.  Hell I want Adam Dunn back.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well it looks like the Reds are going to fall behind even farther.

Also it is sad that baseball is coming to this where teams pretty much have to sell off their great players. You either have to be great at player development and drafting well or you have to have big money. The problem with the Reds is that they have neither.

Well the Reds just lost out on the last remaining SS free agent because Gregorious just signed with the Phillies. It can be frustrated being fans of small market teams or teams not willing to spend money on good players.

Also I think the Arenado trade is not a good sign for baseball because the Rockies traded an elite talent for a bunch of prospects.  The Cardinals also will get 50 million and the Rockies get guys you have no idea will ever pan out.  As a Reds fan i have seen plenty of trades where we trade all stars and got absolutely nothing for them.  At least in the NBA teams trade players like Harden they get NBA players back in return and not players from the g-league. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Tip of the cap to Cardinals. They took it on the chin from 16-18 seasons but now seem to regain their edge. Regarding Arenado...seems like he finally got his wish to get out of Colorado. Can't believe they traded him and are sending $50M to the Cardinals to get rid of him.

Did they really take it on the chin? Sure they didn’t make the playoffs but they were still above .500 each of those years (won between 83 and 88 games). Haven’t had a losing season since 2007 (and even then only 6 games under .500). They’re a model of consistency even during the “down” years throughout the DeWitt era. 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well the Reds just lost out on the last remaining SS free agent because Gregorious just signed with the Phillies. It can be frustrated being fans of small market teams or teams not willing to spend money on good players.

Also I think the Arenado trade is not a good sign for baseball because the Rockies traded an elite talent for a bunch of prospects.  The Cardinals also will get 50 million and the Rockies get guys you have no idea will ever pan out.  As a Reds fan i have seen plenty of trades where we trade all stars and got absolutely nothing for them.  At least in the NBA teams trade players like Harden they get NBA players back in return and not players from the g-league. 

It's not so much that the Reds are a small market team.  they are a poorly managed small market team.  Oakland can put a winning product on the field.  So can Minnesota.  Heck, it's not like St. Louis is a major market.  Yet, they found a way to make a huge deal.

Reds management just sucks.

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's not so much that the Reds are a small market team.  they are a poorly managed small market team.  Oakland can put a winning product on the field.  So can Minnesota.  Heck, it's not like St. Louis is a major market.  Yet, they found a way to make a huge deal.

I agree that the reds player development and drafting are horrible.  As for Minnesota and Oakland, yes they can compete and make the playoffs but once there they haven't done much at all.  I just get tired teams like those two do a good job of drafting and player developing and then those players get really good they have to trade them.  The Cardinals is a mid market team but they get 40,000 people a game so that really helps with your revenue.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree that the reds player development and drafting are horrible.  As for Minnesota and Oakland, yes they can compete and make the playoffs but once there they haven't done much at all.  I just get tired teams like those two do a good job of drafting and player developing and then those players get really good they have to trade them.  The Cardinals is a mid market team but they get 40,000 people a game so that really helps with your revenue.

Cardinals have always punched beyond their weight class when it comes to payroll. You’re absolutely right that a guaranteed 3 million plus fans every year helps. They’re your outlier of a mid market team who can spend up their with the big boys at times. 

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

All is good now...the Reds traded for Kyle Holder.

1 hour ago, rico said:

All is good now...the Reds traded for Kyle Holder.

World series here we come.  Bad thing is that he was a rule 5 draft pick so if I read it correctly he has to stay on the roster the whole year.  if not they will have to send him back.  I have read where they still looking at trading for Rosario of the Indians

Archived