'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Arrieta back to the Cubs...

Another "maybe he can be good...but he's cheap" signing...

Yep. Will always love Jake and will give me a reason to watch when he pitches but....another move to go on the cheap is right. 

Was texting with a few buddies last night. We should have been smarter last June when Ricketts went on his 70% of baseball revenue comes from fans on gameday rant. Won't let my guard down with him ever again. 

Some talk about a 6 man rotation with the limitations next year.

Hendrick certainly #1.

Mills and Davies as well as Hendrick are all command control pitchers.  So probably won't start them back to back often.

Arrietta #2.

Davies #3.

Mills/Alozolay/Williams/Shelby -- pick 2 or 3.

14 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What do you think opening day rotation looks like?

8 hours ago, slojoe said:

Some talk about a 6 man rotation with the limitations next year.

Hendrick certainly #1.

Mills and Davies as well as Hendrick are all command control pitchers.  So probably won't start them back to back often.

Arrietta #2.

Davies #3.

Mills/Alozolay/Williams/Shelby -- pick 2 or 3.

Yeah, I think @slojoe has it nailed there. Unless someone else emerges, that's probably pretty close.

Brailyn Marquez and Corey Abbott might be close to being ready too... 

44 minutes ago, rico said:

If Jake can go 16-10ish with an ERA south of 4 the Cubs fans will be tickled.

16? One way ticket to Cooperstown. Of course I have no clue what our lineup will look like this year. Maybe we suddenly remember how to hit w/risp....but based on past few seasons it isn't likely. 

Maybe a NFL skill position but I don't know of another position in sports where when it goes....it goes quickly like pitchers do. Hope for the best I guess!

On 2/13/2021 at 9:17 AM, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Will always love Jake and will give me a reason to watch when he pitches but....another move to go on the cheap is right. 

Was texting with a few buddies last night. We should have been smarter last June when Ricketts went on his 70% of baseball revenue comes from fans on gameday rant. Won't let my guard down with him ever again. 

I have a soft spot for Jake as well for what he did while a Cub previously, but if they were going to go cheap (which of course the Cubs are definitely doing now) I don't understand why they just didn't sign Lester for a fraction of this contract...word was Lester would have signed cheap. Or the Cubs could have signed both for around 10 million combined probably if they are concerned about the young guys in starting roles. I assume cubs will trade Bryant to Mets and Rickets will cry poor all season and use it for an excuse to suck.

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

I have a soft spot for Jake as well for what he did while a Cub previously, but if they were going to go cheap (which of course the Cubs are definitely doing now) I don't understand why they just didn't sign Lester for a fraction of this contract...word was Lester would have signed cheap. Or the Cubs could have signed both for around 10 million combined probably if they are concerned about the young guys in starting roles. I assume cubs will trade Bryant to Mets and Rickets will cry poor all season and use it for an excuse to suck.

I'll say the same thing. It took Ricketts 5 years to erase 108 years of bad and bring us a title....and in the following 5 years he's managed to erase all of that goodwill he built up.

Unless we catch lightning this year is a wash but if I don't see smart spending for 2022 Ricketts will join the long list of Chicago owners who aren't committed to winning each and every year. 

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

To be honest, I understand trying to keep ahead with your roster and trading veterans for younger talent, but for Christ sakes get something in return. The 4 guys we got for Yu have never played above rookie ball. Maybe one will work out, but the odds are against it.

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

To be honest, I understand trying to keep ahead with your roster and trading veterans for younger talent, but for Christ sakes get something in return. The 4 guys we got for Yu have never played above rookie ball. Maybe one will work out, but the odds are against it.

I agree...I think some of us on here spoke about this before but I wouldn't have a problem with the cubs rebuilding in a responsible way but they seem like they are doing it half halfheartedly and incompetently. It seemed like there has been a strain on the Cubs and Kris Bryant's relationship since the whole debate on when his contract clock should have started years ago. The Cubs waited and waited on trading him and now his value is low and they probably won't get much in return for him and I doubt they sign him to long term contract. It felt like they could have gotten more for Darvish. Lester wanted to end his career as a Cub and would have signed for peanuts but they passed on that. I think Rickets is zeroed in on making as much $$ as possible and trying to run the team on the cheap. I won't be too excited about signing Rizzo to another deal as he is most likely past his prime. Maybe Baez will sign long term if he doesn't demand top dollar. Who knows. The cubs have been extremely frustrating the past couple seasons in regards to their player moves. Bears aren't any better either in football. Sigh.

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I agree...I think some of us on here spoke about this before but I wouldn't have a problem with the cubs rebuilding in a responsible way but they seem like they are doing it half halfheartedly and incompetently. It seemed like there has been a strain on the Cubs and Kris Bryant's relationship since the whole debate on when his contract clock should have started years ago. The Cubs waited and waited on trading him and now his value is low and they probably won't get much in return for him and I doubt they sign him to long term contract. It felt like they could have gotten more for Darvish. Lester wanted to end his career as a Cub and would have signed for peanuts but they passed on that. I think Rickets is zeroed in on making as much $$ as possible and trying to run the team on the cheap. I won't be too excited about signing Rizzo to another deal as he is most likely past his prime. Maybe Baez will sign long term if he doesn't demand top dollar. Who knows. The cubs have been extremely frustrating the past couple seasons in regards to their player moves. Bears aren't any better either in football. Sigh.

That's exactly right...

85 Bears, 2016 Cubs...look at the similarities...

17 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That's exactly right...

85 Bears, 2016 Cubs...look at the similarities...

All day long. That's been my friends and my concern all along and it seems to be going down that path. Grateful for the title no doubt...but both teams should have had multiple titles and gone on a dynasty run. 

4 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

For you NL guys, the Yanks have signed Jay Bruce to a minor league deal where he can make $1.35 million if he makes the team. Plus bonuses made on number of plate appearances...

Nice signing.  Hard to believe but Jay is only 33.  He very well could finish his career with close to 500 HR's and over 2,000 hits if he can return to form.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

14 years and $340M for Padres/Tatis. Historically cheap franchise found the $ I guess. Confirms what I've always believed. These owners have the resources they just need to be in the commitment business.

Almost 3 years younger than when Stanton became the youngest to sign a 300 mil contract. 

19 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

14 years and $340M for Padres/Tatis. Historically cheap franchise found the $ I guess. Confirms what I've always believed. These owners have the resources they just need to be in the commitment business.

Looks like the Padres are in it to win it.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Looks like the Padres are in it to win it.

By my math it appears the little old Padres have roughly $800M worth of contracts in that infield. Never ever ever ever ever want to hear about discrepancy in payrolls in MLB. Commitment from ownership is all that it takes.

Archived