'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

By my math it appears the little old Padres have roughly $800M worth of contracts in that infield. Never ever ever ever ever want to hear about discrepancy in payrolls in MLB. Commitment from ownership is all that it takes.

There is a reason the NFL has passed MLB in popularity.  MLB better follow the model...but it is probably too late.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, rico said:

There is a reason the NFL has passed MLB in popularity.  MLB better follow the model...but it is probably too late.

Passed by and lapped about 10x. MLB has to change the entire way they sell and market their product and gameday experience including embracing technology/fantasy/gambling,etc....inside the parks. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Passed by and lapped about 10x. MLB has to change the entire way they sell and market their product and gameday experience including embracing technology/fantasy/gambling,etc....inside the parks. 

Profit sharing and hard caps as well...

I have a little different take...

I think adults have ruined little league baseball for kids...I understand the need to protect them from injury, but taking away the competitive part of the game early makes a lot of kids not care...

I helped coach my youngest daughter's teams in t-ball and early baseball/softball and by the time they were 7, about half the kids didn't even want to be out there...

When I was 7, we played competitive games in little league...we kept score...there was a winner and a loser, and you leaned to deal with both...

I loved MLB because I loved playing baseball...I bought baseball cards and read baseball books because I wanted to model my game after Ernie Banks...I'm quite sure I wouldn't have liked playing with a bunch of kids who Mommy and Daddy forced to be out there because they knew their baby wouldn't get their feelings hurt by losing...

I still love baseball, but with all of the BS changes, they're making it difficult for me...

The main problem with baseball is the disparity from the big market and small market teams.  I know there are a few small market teams that have competed like the A's and Rays and Twins but for most part the best teams are the ones that can spend big.  Also those small market teams are like minor leagues to the big market teams.  They scout and draft really well and produces great talent.  When that talent becomes great major leaguers and after 6 ears they move on to the big market teams.

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

By my math it appears the little old Padres have roughly $800M worth of contracts in that infield. Never ever ever ever ever want to hear about discrepancy in payrolls in MLB. Commitment from ownership is all that it takes.

Well said, for years the Yankees were always criticized for buying WS or over paying for players. I've contended all along that other franchises could spend money for players, but ownerships said otherwise, screwing their fan bases of having championship caliber teams.

Just now, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well said, for years the Yankees were always criticized for buying WS or over paying for players. I've contended all along that other franchises could spend money for players, but ownerships said otherwise, screwing their fan bases of having championship caliber teams.

All day long and San Diego is screaming it from the top of their lungs just in case some of the small market teams can't hear it. 

Ownership. Ownership. Ownership. 

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The main problem with baseball is the disparity from the big market and small market teams.  I know there are a few small market teams that have competed like the A's and Rays and Twins but for most part the best teams are the ones that can spend big.  Also those small market teams are like minor leagues to the big market teams.  They scout and draft really well and produces great talent.  When that talent becomes great major leaguers and after 6 ears they move on to the big market teams.

That is where salary caps and profit sharing come in.  Make the teams all equal like the NFL.  

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think adults have ruined little league baseball for kids...I understand the need to protect them from injury, but taking away the competitive part of the game early makes a lot of kids not care...

I helped coach my youngest daughter's teams in t-ball and early baseball/softball and by the time they were 7, about half the kids didn't even want to be out there...

When I was 7, we played competitive games in little league...we kept score...there was a winner and a loser, and you leaned to deal with both...

I loved MLB because I loved playing baseball...I bought baseball cards and read baseball books because I wanted to model my game after Ernie Banks...I'm quite sure I wouldn't have liked playing with a bunch of kids who Mommy and Daddy forced to be out there because they knew their baby wouldn't get their feelings hurt by losing...

I still love baseball, but with all of the BS changes, they're making it difficult for me...

Question out of the blue.  How much do you think youth soccer has taken away from baseball?  

22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Good players are not playing little league anymore. Ayden played all the way up til this coming year Babe Ruth probably a little too much for him. My older son started travel ball at 8 and played rec ball from 3 until 8.  

I don't like to no score and everyone gets a trophy.  For Oakley it was no big deal to get a trophy. For Ayden it was huge. I have been on both sides of it

23 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My first introduction to the world of your point about adults ruining little league for kids was when I was about 12. In my town where I grew up all of the LL players,etc....coached the tball kids.

I remember a Mother calling me at home (remember I was 12) asking why her daughter didn't play much. I explained to the Mom that her daughter didn't like baseball and she didn't want to play at all,etc....and her Mom went ahead and explained to me that she needed that hour per day (practice and games) to get her errands done so she has to continue to play.

Hung up the phone and thought to myself. Signing a kid up for something just so they can get their errands done. Huh??? 

57 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Good players are not playing little league anymore. Ayden played all the way up til this coming year Babe Ruth probably a little too much for him. My older son started travel ball at 8 and played rec ball from 3 until 8.  

I don't like to no score and everyone gets a trophy.  For Oakley it was no big deal to get a trophy. For Ayden it was huge. I have been on both sides of it

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My first introduction to the world of your point about adults ruining little league for kids was when I was about 12. In my town where I grew up all of the LL players,etc....coached the tball kids.

I remember a Mother calling me at home (remember I was 12) asking why her daughter didn't play much. I explained to the Mom that her daughter didn't like baseball and she didn't want to play at all,etc....and her Mom went ahead and explained to me that she needed that hour per day (practice and games) to get her errands done so she has to continue to play.

Hung up the phone and thought to myself. Signing a kid up for something just so they can their errands done. Huh??? 

I admit that Little League was the only game in town when I was growing up. There was no pee wee football, or biddie ball in basketball (although Sam Alford started a program like that in the mid 70s in Martinsville).

All the kids I grew up with played. I had a friend that in 9 years of little league ball actually touched the ball with his bat twice...once on a foul ball, and a double...and only God knows how that happened...but, he was out there because he wanted to be out there. Loved the camaraderie. Got his two innings in the field and his at bat, and was happy as a clam rooting for his teammates.

I guess it's just not as popular with kids now...and that saddens me...

15 hours ago, rico said:

Question out of the blue.  How much do you think youth soccer has taken away from baseball?  

I guess it has some. I know youth soccer was big in Chicagoland...down here in Texas, football and to a lesser degree, baseball rule. There's a baseball/softball complex near my house, and some evenings my wife and I will walk over and watch. I enjoy everything but the over zealous parents...geez, they have some leather-lunged women over there...

Just now, IUFLA said:

The other thing that's strange about Little League here is, some of the parents drink watching the games...I'd never seen that before...

And I'm not sure it's the best idea...Christ, I couldn't deal with them sober...

totally agree because that is a bad look and alcohol probably is the reason we see some stupid stuff at little league games.

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The other thing that's strange about Little League here is, some of the parents drink watching the games...I'd never seen that before...

And I'm not sure it's the best idea...Christ, I couldn't deal with them sober...

That's not supposed to happen where I am at.  No alcohol or tobacco is allowed.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:40 AM, IUFLA said:

Crazy. I just resigned as a board member of the youth baseball league. This will be the first year in 22 years that we will not have a child playing baseball or softball.  Kind of sad 

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Crazy. I just resigned as a board member of the youth baseball league. This will be the first year in 22 years that we will not have a child playing baseball or softball.  Kind of sad 

Those are tough times when you pass the torch....but let someone else deal with things when their kids are involved.

Archived