'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You'll never convince me on the DH...Dumbs down the game so much that it's barely worth watching for me...

Of course, in the world today, dumbing down is the answer to pretty much everything...

It is all about promoting the game to the younger generation

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It is all about promoting the game to the younger generation

Understand...but it takes the fun of guessing along with the managers out of it totally...

I have 3 daughters...all love baseball. The first time my oldest went with her future hubby to a game, he was amazed at how much she knew. He said he always watched the flight of the ball, and stood up almost every time it came off the bat. When he asked my daughter why she didn't, she said, "Dad always said watch the outfielders....they'll let you know where the ball is going." Said it was the best tip for watching a game he'd ever had...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Understand...but it takes the fun of guessing along with the managers out of it totally...

I have 3 daughters...all love baseball. The first time my oldest went with her future hubby to a game, he was amazed at how much she knew. He said he always watched the flight of the ball, and stood up almost every time it came off the bat. When he asked my daughter why she didn't, she said, "Dad always said watch the outfielders....they'll let you know where the ball is going." Said it was the best tip for watching a game he'd ever had...

I just see the sports I love being changed because they are more worried about younger fans than longtime fans.  Just like how coaches in college is changing the style of offense to help recruit players.  They want to get the top recruits who want to make the NBA so they implement pro style offense even if it is not best for the game.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just see the sports I love being changed because they are more worried about younger fans than longtime fans.  Just like how coaches in college is changing the style of offense to help recruit players.  They want to get the top recruits who want to make the NBA so they implement pro style offense even if it is not best for the game.

That might be some of it...

But, I think the real reason is you have people writing and commenting on the game who have no real clue about baseball strategy or nuance. They simply think extra runs (and the DH really does not equate to a lot of runs over a season) makes the game more "exciting."

You and I both think they've over-analyzed baseball to death with stupid metrics. Well, when people don't really understand something, they try to break it down until they can. They only thing they're really breaking is the game itself.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:15 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

If you HAD to pick between Purdue or the Cardinals, who would it be?

Purdue.  The only legitimate reason I have for disliking Purdue is that they are IU's rival.  If they weren't in the same state, it would be like disliking Minnesota.

I have a bunch of reasons for disliking St. Louis.  

Whole lot of “back in my day” in this topic lol. 

I don’t care for the DH myself but I get why they are doing it. 

I don’t think that’s baseballs issue though. They just don’t “sell” baseball to kids the way they used to.  Part of it is the moneyball aspect where the statistically best decision is readily available usually talked about and then like 90+% of the time the manager does that. Kids only know this and if they want a Random Number Generator that’s what video games are for 

I don’t blame managers from doing it but I wish it was a more taboo topic that announcers rarely brought up the way they rarely mention refs in basketball managing the outcomes. 

12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Whole lot of “back in my day” in this topic lol. 

I don’t care for the DH myself but I get why they are doing it. 

I don’t think that’s baseballs issue though. They just don’t “sell” baseball to kids the way they used to.  Part of it is the moneyball aspect where the statistically best decision is readily available usually talked about and then like 90+% of the time the manager does that. Kids only know this and if they want a Random Number Generator that’s what video games are for 

I don’t blame managers from doing it but I wish it was a more taboo topic that announcers rarely brought up the way they rarely mention refs in basketball managing the outcomes. 

Analytics are part of the game now.  Like it or not they are here to stay.

Kids today didn't "give-up" on baseball.  It appears fewer want to participate in it.  Football and basketball are the "cool" sports now.  Throw in soccer and NASCAR and that is where we are at with kids.

As far as the rule changes...I can't do anything about 'em.  But for this 53 year-old guy they tend to drive me away from the sport a little at a time.  This is a sport, on the professional level, that was much better back in the day.

If I were MLB I'd figure out a way to not only embrace analytics but market it within your sport and gameday experience. Now some of the coaches and players may not like this idea because if they go against what the "numbers" say they'll hear about it.

The idea is this simple. Create an app for your team or whatever format that kids or adults can follow along in real time what the %'s are in each situation. For example if it's 2-0 count, 6th inning, guy on 2nd and your team is down 1....the app or numbers could create a scenario saying don't swing because more than likely opponent is giving you first base to setup double play ball....or any several dozens of scenarios.

Now I realize you have only 15-20 seconds between each pitch to update but to me that would be something fun and would bring interest. I know. Kids should know these things,etc....but they don't. I also know we should be keeping a scorecard instead of looking at the phone....but interest is interest. Brings $ to the ballpark, game,etc...which always translates into $ for players/coaches/owners.

One of my best friends best friend designed the MLB app. I've been telling him this idea for years.

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I were MLB I'd figure out a way to not only embrace analytics but market it within your sport and gameday experience. Now some of the coaches and players may not like this idea because if they go against what the "numbers" say they'll hear about it.

The idea is this simple. Create an app for your team or whatever format that kids or adults can follow along in real time what the %'s are in each situation. For example if it's 2-0 count, 6th inning, guy on 2nd and your team is down 1....the app or numbers could create a scenario saying don't swing because more than likely opponent is giving you first base to setup double play ball....or any several dozens of scenarios.

Now I realize you have only 15-20 seconds between each pitch to update but to me that would be something fun and would bring interest. I know. Kids should know these things,etc....but they don't. I also know we should be keeping a scorecard instead of looking at the phone....but interest is interest. Brings $ to the ballpark, game,etc...which always translates into $ for players/coaches/owners.

One of my best friends best friend designed the MLB app. I've been telling him this idea for years.

Whatever has happened to just wanting  to to watch a game for entertainment.   It seems like people have to discect  every little aspect of the game and to me that just takes the fun away from the game.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Whatever has happened to just wanting  to to watch a game for entertainment.   It seems like people have to discect  every little aspect of the game and to me that just takes the fun away from the game.

I get it. You represent a % of the pie. There are also several other %'s of the pie that need to be filled. People can still come to the yard and enjoy every inning how they want to enjoy it....but it doesn't mean MLB shouldn't try to attract other viewers. Only about 10 stadiums are full all year. Not thinking ahead is what has put MLB in a distant last place among the big sports. 

My son was telling me this yesterday.  I had never heard it before,  In 1969, Ken Griffey Sr. was apparently close to committing to Marshall to play football.  He changed his mind when he was drafted by the Reds.  If he hadn't, he would have been on the plane that crashed.  Baseball would have never had Ken Griffey Sr. or Ken Griffey Jr.

Ken Griffey said Reds paycheck was a 'bonus' | Sports | herald-dispatch.com (herald-dispatch.com)

All of Griffey's accomplishments nearly didn't happen. He visited Marshall University in 1969 and was set to sign to play wide receiver for the Thundering Herd football team. The Reds, however, selected Griffey in the 29th round of the 1969 Major League Baseball Free Agent Draft and he opted for baseball.

"Had I gone to Marshall, I'd have been on that plane that crashed," Griffey said, referring to the Nov. 14, 1970, plane crash that killed all 75 people aboard, including most of the football team.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My son was telling me this yesterday.  I had never heard it before,  In 1969, Ken Griffey Sr. was apparently close to committing to Marshall to play football.  He changed his mind when he was drafted by the Reds.  If he hadn't, he would have been on the plane that crashed.  Baseball would have never had Ken Griffey Sr. or Ken Griffey Jr.

Ken Griffey said Reds paycheck was a 'bonus' | Sports | herald-dispatch.com (herald-dispatch.com)

All of Griffey's accomplishments nearly didn't happen. He visited Marshall University in 1969 and was set to sign to play wide receiver for the Thundering Herd football team. The Reds, however, selected Griffey in the 29th round of the 1969 Major League Baseball Free Agent Draft and he opted for baseball.

"Had I gone to Marshall, I'd have been on that plane that crashed," Griffey said, referring to the Nov. 14, 1970, plane crash that killed all 75 people aboard, including most of the football team.

Wow. Never knew that one at all. Thanks for the share.

Archived