Big Ten 2020-2021

1 minute ago, loviubb said:

The man lost half of his foot in a car wreck similar to Landon Turner sorry if you feel I am wrong  about how I think sports should be looked at!!!  I am sure you have live a great life! FU 

I'm from NE Indiana and I remember Bavis, and his story is a tragic one.  However, he had a great HS and college career.  In HS he played for the Garrett Railroaders which was a small school.  There was another 7 footer on the team as well as an excellent guard who I believe went to Florida.  Many teams stalled against Garrett because of their size and skill.  Garrett was a local and state power house for a few years in mid-60's.

• Like 1

They  so much talent and if I am wrong it will be by spelling. The other 7 footer was Heights  my spelling is bad but he is also the uncle of Brad Miller from east noble and PU fame. Long time NBA PLAYER!!  yes they Garrett had so much talent that their coach got fired for going 20 and zero or I was told

Edited by loviubb

17 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I'm from NE Indiana and I remember Bavis, and his story is a tragic one.  However, he had a great HS and college career.  In HS he played for the Garrett Railroaders which was a small school.  There was another 7 footer on the team as well as an excellent guard who I believe went to Florida.  Many teams stalled against Garrett because of their size and skill.  Garrett was a local and state power house for a few years in mid-60's.

Oh yes the Miller men !! DAVE TONY AND TOM  at that time  they were always good!!   

9 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I disagree re football. Beating IU isn’t the aspiration. If we didn’t emphasize sports like other programs, we wouldn’t have made the commitment to Brohm that we did where he’s one of the highest-paid coaches in football. Sure it might not work out but clearly the commitment has been made. There wasn’t a legit commitment made to multiple sports for a long time but that’s no longer the case. Tiller had a lot of success but programs like IU and Purdue will never compete for national championships in football. It’s just not going to happen. I disagree re Painter never challenging for a national championship. He has had multiple teams that were good enough to win it all. You don’t think he’ll make it as far as the Elite 8 again? As far as national championships in other sports, I honestly couldn’t care less. If we had 20 titles in sports I didn’t follow or care about, would I feel any different? Nope. If we win a softball national championship and one in tennis the next few years, that’s cool I guess but non-revenue sports don’t do anything for me. 

Brohm is the 7th highest paid football coach in the B1G...

Link

I've been on a lot of forums since 2000...and the one thing I could always count on were the Purdelusional fans. I had one one time compare Purdue football to USC and Texas when those schools had a down year and Tiller was the coach. Come on...

And, no, I don't think Painter will ever get to an E8 again, much less a Final 4. For as long as I've been watching IU basketball, I've also watched Purdue. I saw the 2 Final 4 teams you've had (69 and 80). You guys have had some good teams, but never that good. But good enough for your fan base I suppose.

As far as downplaying the non-revenue sports, to me that speaks to the overall mindset of the Purdue admin towards sports in general. Not that important...

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

If we could reschedule MSU during the break to split it up that would be ideal. I think we are better than them and can get a quality win...otherwise line up ISU or UE or something.

Like this route as well. 

As it relates to Michigan hoops....can anyone confirm it wasn't a player on team but someone within athletic department? This seems really fishy.

• Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Like this route as well. 

As it relates to Michigan hoops....can anyone confirm it wasn't a player on team but someone within athletic department? This seems really fishy.

Why would it be fishy? You think they are lying about Covid 19? I mean they are having an awesome season...why would they want to miss games against 4 bottom dwellers? PSU, IU, nw, MSU. None of those teams are scary. Apperantly it’s the mutated strain that is more transmissible.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Why would it be fishy? You think they are lying about Covid 19? I mean they are having an awesome season...why would they want to miss games against 4 bottom dwellers? PSU, IU, nw, MSU. None of those teams are scary. Apperantly it’s the mutated strain that is more transmissible.

Sorry. Guess I have to define fishy. Seems very odd....to shut down an entire athletic department for 2 weeks because someone linked to the department tested positive. Not a player, not a coach....shoot for all we know it's the janitor....2 week shutdown? Just seems fishy. Odd. Strange. Not normal. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Hopefully Dolson has a plan. 9 days off after tomorrow isn't good. Maybe schedule a quick game with ISU/Ball St/IUPUI,etc...

I don’t think we can do that. We are at our NCAA allowed 27 games scheduled this year. I agree with the premise, but unless this game is cancelled and not just postponed we can’t. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I don’t think we can do that. We are at our NCAA allowed 27 games scheduled this year. I agree with the premise, but unless this game is cancelled and not just postponed we can’t. 

Thanks! Wasn't sure what the rules were on that. I know Illinois said they tried to schedule a game last week but couldn't get it done.

Guess we just roll with the bumpy times.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Thanks! Wasn't sure what the rules were on that. I know Illinois said they tried to schedule a game last week but couldn't get it done.

Guess we just roll with the bumpy times.

We were one of the lucky programs that managed to schedule our max number of games and not have any non conference games lost. 

I do wish the B1G would get a little creative and maybe move some games up, if schedules allow, to avoid layoffs and leave some room later for make ups. I know this isn’t ideal, but these are strange times. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry. Guess I have to define fishy. Seems very odd....to shut down an entire athletic department for 2 weeks because someone linked to the department tested positive. Not a player, not a coach....shoot for all we know it's the janitor....2 week shutdown? Just seems fishy. Odd. Strange. Not normal. 

Not if it's someone that has regular contact with the athletes and/or coaching staffs of many or all of the sports. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

So it could be someone like the chef that prepares meals for team each day? 

Maybe. Or a tutor. Or some other personnel that is in frequent contact. 

I have a friend that has worked in Athlete Departments at multiple schools. She was neither of those positions but still interacted with the athletes quite a lot. I'm sure the coaches meet with people in the department on a regular basis so there's probably at least one person there that sees all of them often, as well.

The point is that there is nothing "fishy," "odd," or "strange" about this. I'll give you that it's "not normal," but what is normal this season? It makes perfect sense if it's someone in the AD that interacts with many or all the teams in some fashion on a regular basis. If it was a single athlete or coach in a single sport then it might be an overreaction.

• Like 1

Just now, go_iu_bb said:

Maybe. Or a tutor. Or some other personnel that is in frequent contact. 

I have a friend that has worked in Athlete Departments at multiple schools. She was neither of those positions but still interacted with the athletes quite a lot. I'm sure the coaches meet with people in the department on a regular basis so there's probably at least one person there that sees all of them often, as well.

The point is that there is nothing "fishy," "odd," or "strange" about this. I'll give you that it's "not normal," but what is normal this season? It makes perfect sense if it's someone in the AD that interacts with many or all the teams in some fashion on a regular basis. If it was a single athlete or coach in a single sport then it might be an overreaction.

Understand. Just trying to figure out the timeline. Michigan is so concerned and protective of their players...that they played a game Friday night after opponent had 2 positives....but 36 hours later when someone (not a player or coach) tests positive and the whole thing is shut down for 2 weeks? The consistency there is lacking.

PS....the more I think about it. Hats off to Painter for playing that game Friday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. Just trying to figure out the timeline. Michigan is so concerned and protective of their players...that they played a game Friday night after opponent had 2 positives....but 36 hours later when someone (not a player or coach) tests positive and the whole thing is shut down for 2 weeks? The consistency there is lacking.

PS....the more I think about it. Hats off to Painter for playing that game Friday.

Part of their reaction seems to be due to the fact that it's the new strain which is much more easily transmitted. The ESPN article I just read that was linked in another thread here said "positive tests" which indicates more than one person has it. That article does sound like they're erring on the side of caution but I still think it's likely not just athletes and/or coaches from a single sport that has it but probably someone in the athletic department who could have spread it between sports.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Brohm is the 7th highest paid football coach in the B1G...

Link

I've been on a lot of forums since 2000...and the one thing I could always count on were the Purdelusional fans. I had one one time compare Purdue football to USC and Texas when those schools had a down year and Tiller was the coach. Come on...

And, no, I don't think Painter will ever get to an E8 again, much less a Final 4. For as long as I've been watching IU basketball, I've also watched Purdue. I saw the 2 Final 4 teams you've had (69 and 80). You guys have had some good teams, but never that good. But good enough for your fan base I suppose.

As far as downplaying the non-revenue sports, to me that speaks to the overall mindset of the Purdue admin towards sports in general. Not that important...

There are always going to be the crazies that made bogus claims lol. That happens with every fanbase. Tiller had us in a really good position before the Wisconsin fumble. 

Painter made the Elite 8 with maybe the 4th or 5th most talented team he had at Purdue. Of course it’s not a guarantee but I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t make another E8. The Hummel teams if healthy were easily good enough to make the E8. With a healthy Haas, we could’ve made it too. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

6 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We were one of the lucky programs that managed to schedule our max number of games and not have any non conference games lost. 

I do wish the B1G would get a little creative and maybe move some games up, if schedules allow, to avoid layoffs and leave some room later for make ups. I know this isn’t ideal, but these are strange times. 

I never thought about it that way, but good point about moving up games opposed to just keeping as is and cramming at the end.  Otherwise the last couple weeks are going to be a mess.  

• Thanks 1

Is expanding the field this year out of the question?   From a COVID perspective and logistical perspective, definitely not ideal.  But the committee will have their work cut out for them looking at number of games played.  

Would they take a .500 team from the B1G that played 16-18 conference games or a 13-9 team from a much lesser conference that lost 4 games due to Covid (just example numbers)?

probably still obviously come down to who you beat and didn’t (quad wins/losses).  Without any conference tourneys, no bid stealers.  IF IU can somehow get to .500ish in conference and finish there, the win vs Iowa will look phenomenal.  

Edited by Bustout

6 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Part of their reaction seems to be due to the fact that it's the new strain which is much more easily transmitted. The ESPN article I just read that was linked in another thread here said "positive tests" which indicates more than one person has it. That article does sound like they're erring on the side of caution but I still think it's likely not just athletes and/or coaches from a single sport that has it but probably someone in the athletic department who could have spread it between sports.

Yes. It was actually the MI Health Dept that shut them down due to 5 positive tests and 15 presumed positive of the new virus variant in the athletic department. Apparently an athlete had traveled to the UK recently. 

https://www.si.com/college/2021/01/24/michigan-athletics-suspended-new-covid-19-variant

• Thanks 2