Maryland Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes, you’re misreading. He finished the year, as I said, shooting North of 40 percent. His game turned around in February, and with it came significantly increased minutes, and golly with that came his shooting. That’s the point, and one CAM has recognized several times. Why do you think CAM repeatedly calls him one of the top 3 shooters on the team? Come on HF 

i can call you a banana but that doesn't mean when you look in the mirror you're a banana.  If he cannot translate practice to game, he is not the best shooter on the team.  Currently AF is the best shooter we have

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

he was a +14 today with his terrible defense and scoring 6 points.  Interesting.  I wonder how they calculate it.

That IU scored 14 more points than the opponent when Hunter was on the court.  Remember he played 16 minutes in the second half and we outscored Maryland by 14 in the second half.

Oh, I see - you literally meant he shot above 40% for part of a season.  

I get that means he has shown the potential to be a good shooter. I’m not sure an argument of “you looked at a limited time frame (this season..?) to assess his 3PT % and that’s not fair” is a really coherent argument when I’m the one looking at his entire career average and you’re the one looking at... a smaller sample. 

Your argument is he closed last season strong and it transformed his shot/his confidence/whatever and he’s a 40% shooter now. Well, he isn’t shooting better than his career average thus far this year. Could last year have been... an aberration?

Look, I hope it isn’t. I want to love Hunter (see my post above).  But just because you tell someone to “come on” doesn’t make your point any more correct, my friend!

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Yeah but i am not sure he is a net positive.  Now, if he was putting up 15-20 a game then maybe you could overlook his defense.  But man he puts up some bad shots at times and doesn't always make the best decision.  But i can't say anyone other than AF is a good shooter on this team.  

I personally have not seen enough of him doing what everyone says he can do to say he should play.  But if he comes in and starts dropping buckets then give him a break over the defense.  But he has been in the system for 3 years and doesn' get it defensively, at this point, he is possibly a net negative.

He’s been in the system 2 years. No practicing or playing his frosh year. The guy can shoot. He came to IU a strong shooter, and he finished last season shooting 40-plus from deep. Cam calls him a “unique” shooter, all the players call him an excellent shooter, because he is. It’s a really basic point but shooters need reps, they need floorbtime and shots. How many games do you see a shooter come in and go 1-5 but end up 6-12 or better? You say he takes bad shots. I say he’s a confident shooter, and how many of those do we have? If you want ugly stagnant offense and hope to win on defense, leave the shooters on the bench. If you want a chance to fill it up as needed, play your damn shooters 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes, you’re misreading. He finished the year, as I said, shooting North of 40 percent. His game turned around in February, and with it came significantly increased minutes, and golly with that came his shooting. That’s the point, and one CAM has recognized several times. Why do you think CAM repeatedly calls him one of the top 3 shooters on the team? Come on HF 

In another thread you said another poster was cherry picking parts of last season to say that Durham was inconsistent. You were correct in that he was but you're doing the exact same thing with Hunter. Yes, for the last 10'games or so of last season Hunter shot much better. This shows he has potential as a shooter but it could've also been an anomaly. Outside of those games he hasn't come close to that. For the total of last season he shot 30%, including those games. This season he's shooting only 33% in about the same sample size as the 40% at the end of last season. It seems reasonable for people to question his shooting.

Which is the real Hunter? The one that shoots 33% or the one that shoots 40%? So far in his career the 33% seems closer.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He’s been in the system 2 years. No practicing or playing his frosh year. The guy can shoot. He came to IU a strong shooter, and he finished last season shooting 40-plus from deep. Cam calls him a “unique” shooter, all the players call him an excellent shooter, because he is. It’s a really basic point but shooters need reps, they need floorbtime and shots. How many games do you see a shooter come in and go 1-5 but end up 6-12 or better? You say he takes bad shots. I say he’s a confident shooter, and how many of those do we have? If you want ugly stagnant offense and hope to win on defense, leave the shooters on the bench. If you want a chance to fill it up as needed, play your damn shooters 

I guess we will have to disagree.  I hope he proves me wrong

6 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Oh, I see - you literally meant he shot above 40% for part of a season.  

I get that means he has shown the potential to be a good shooter. I’m not sure an argument of “you looked at a limited time frame (this season..?) to assess his 3PT % and that’s not fair” is a really coherent argument when I’m the one looking at his entire career average and you’re the one looking at... a smaller sample. 

Your argument is he closed last season strong and it transformed his shot/his confidence/whatever and he’s a 40% shooter now. Well, he isn’t shooting better than his career average thus far this year. Could last year have been... an aberration?

Look, I hope it isn’t. I want to love Hunter (see my post above).  But just because you tell someone to “come on” doesn’t make your point any more correct, my friend!

Ok, it’s not my argument, and it’s not just some “part” of the season. Again, he barely played until about February. Then he had his  first 20-plus minute game and lit it up, then he closed the REST of the season, over about 10 games, in more minutes in B1G play, shooting better than 40 percent. it’s not some “part” of the season, that misses the point and is just dismissive. He played more minutes and for the REST of the year shot well. Why insist on ignoring that?

He is an excellent shooter, you for some reason I really don’t get, especially after a win, just ignore that cam and everyone else on the team recognizes he’s an excellent shooter. Why do you think CAM calls him a “unique” shooter? Because he’s a 33 percent shooter? So I’ll say it again, come on already.

You started this discussion saying we’re a team of shooters at that percentage — so you also ignore that Al shot 38 percent all last year and has improved his shooting every year. he’s shooting at about 30 percent this year, that doesn’t make him a 30 percent shooter. That’s obvious, right? 
Goodnight bro 

18 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

In another thread you said another poster was cherry picking parts of last season to say that Durham was inconsistent. You were correct in that he was but you're doing the exact same thing with Hunter. Yes, for the last 10'games or so of last season Hunter shot much better. This shows he has potential as a shooter but it could've also been an anomaly. Outside of those games he hasn't come close to that. For the total of last season he shot 30%, including those games. This season he's shooting only 33% in about the same sample size as the 40% at the end of last season. It seems reasonable for people to question his shooting.

Which is the real Hunter? The one that shoots 33% or the one that shoots 40%? So far in his career the 33% seems closer.

Addressed this above but no. He shot iver 40 percent over the last 10 or so games of the season starting with the first game that he played 20 plus minutes, much more than he’d played before then. He shot well over the rest of the season on significantly more minutes. It is basic but most shooters need minutes and reps, you don’t come into a game cold and drill shots. There’s also a reason every player on the team and Cam considers him one of the best shooters on the team.

I honestly don’t get why I have to argue the guy can shoot. Seriously blows me away that people just pull up box scores or averages without considering any context at all 

29 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

he was a +14 today with his terrible defense and scoring 6 points.  Interesting.  I wonder how they calculate it.

By how the team performed when he was in the game. We beat Maryland by 14 points in the minutes Jerome Hunter played today. 

1) Yes, a subset of 10 games is “just part” of the season.  I’m not really sure how you’re arguing that. 

2) If your argument is instead “coaches and teammates say nice things about him,” your argument is even less convincing than before. 

3) I’m not ignoring anything. I listed off our team’s 3 point shooting percentage.  I was making a simple, factual point to use as a reference. 

2 hours ago, madmax said:

Still a little bit puzzled to see Geronimo and Leal getting more play then Lander. Wish CAM would give him a longer leash.

He needed Geronimo because Hunter wouldnt rebound. Playing a kid before he is ready will hurt him more than just throwing him out there.

45 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i can call you a banana but that doesn't mean when you look in the mirror you're a banana.  If he cannot translate practice to game, he is not the best shooter on the team.  Currently AF is the best shooter we have

Oh man I thought you were being reasonable then I read this drivel. Oh well 

I wasnt on here for the game. it was much better yelling at my tv and kicking the dog rather than pounding on this keyboard. my 3rd wireless keyboard for the season....lol. The last 15 mins was good basketball from us. That is the effort that should be there every game, win or lose. The first 25 looked like we were just going through the motions, mailing it in again. The next 5 games will make or break this team. @Wisconsin, @Neb., Purdue, @Mich.St., @Iowa. Hang on, the season could get ready good or over in a second. By the wat, thats the worst Maryland team that they have had since being in the Big Ten.

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If we're going to cherry pick our own time frame, I could say Justin Smith is a great 3 point shooter because of what he did against MSU that one game.   Long term stats say Hunter shoots the ball in the low 30's from 3.

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If we're going to cherry pick our own time frame, I could say Justin Smith is a great 3 point shooter because of what he did against MSU that one game.   Long term stats say Hunter shoots the ball in the low 30's from 3.

If you REEAAALLLLY want to cherry pick a time frame, Tom Pritchard was one of the greatest leapers IU has ever seen because of that one dunk vs. Minnesota.  But in reality it was just one "HOLY CRAP!!" moment not something that had any evidence of being sustained over a long period of time.

Smith getting hot from 3 agaisnt MSU was another blip in time "whoa!" moment that nobody expected or even had any evidence could happen again.

With Hunter, his long term shooting stats say ehhh 😒, but there is evidence that 😃 is a real possiblity.  I dont think he is going to our microwave off the bench.  I think hes guna have to have floor time and play thru some Homer Simpson moments.  I know fouling guys on a 3 is a killer, but at least he got close enough to them for the ref to think he touched them.  That isnt always the case with some of our guys.  Hell, nobody in the history of IU baskeball fouled more 3 pt shooters than VO, but it was because he was being agressive and while we were screaming "NOOOOO" everytime he did it, we loved him for it.  

Archived