It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

We need a coach who is willing to tell his boss to kiss his own ass in a respectable way, and say I'm doing it my way. I get the impression ever since RMK, this program has been micromanaged from the top down by chodes who dont know anything. 

So I think what @NotIThatLivesis saying is🖕you to the knownothings. 

I don't want or need a prick.  I need the most competitive son of a gun.  Not some rich sauve guy like Wright, even though he would kill it here.  I think the money has made many of these guys soft.  

Who out there still has the drive to grind relentlessly until they find every advantage?  

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dawg Bawls said:

Most of the smart ones are getting old...the young ones only know NBA Jams....

NBA Jam...one epic arcade...”he’s heating UP!” “He’s ON FIRE!” The net turns to fire and you can hit almost any shot till you turn it over 😂 that was a fun game! 

I am hearing Dan Dakich is a front runner if Archie is let go or walks.  I heard that from a cashier at Village Pantry this morning who is pretty reliable.  

In all seriousness, something has to give.  No way Archie can still want to be here.  I would be shocked if he makes it through the end of the month.  Either he leaves or is terminated.  I just don't see any other avenue this goes.

Just now, Shapopojoe said:

I don’t need an RMK clone.....I do need the winning...mediocrity is being embraced here and I think we need to go balls to the wall on a home run and not another experiment....period...I don’t care if we throw 40 mill at stevens...go for it....but no kore midmajor experiments...

40 mill at Stevens?  Are we trying to get laughed at like UCLA?

10 years nearing 100 mil

Become the Bama of basketball.  How quickly would he pay for himself?  If they don't at least try then they don't care.  

49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Wanting to win and wanting the most competitive guy is the fans of this program's problem? 

You don't want a coach that hates to lose?  That should be priority criteria #1

Hating to lose has to outweight wanting to win, both with the coaches and your players if not yo will not have success. 

16 minutes ago, beaver56 said:

I am hearing Dan Dakich is a front runner if Archie is let go or walks.  I heard that from a cashier at Village Pantry this morning who is pretty reliable.  

In all seriousness, something has to give.  No way Archie can still want to be here.  I would be shocked if he makes it through the end of the month.  Either he leaves or is terminated.  I just don't see any other avenue this goes.

I was pretty certain yesterday up until 830 EST last night that Archie was returning....but since IU majors in the optics department (on plenty of levels) those boos last night has to make Dolson reconsider. Combine that with zero from Lander/Leal (no clue why) I'm betting it's back up to 50/50 on if he's let go. 

Problem is timing. Which seems like our timing has been off for about 13-14 years. Even if Dolson made the move...he couldn't talk to any legit candidates for at least 2 more weeks if not longer.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was pretty certain yesterday up until 830 EST last night that Archie was returning....but since IU majors in the optics department (on plenty of levels) those boos last night has to make Dolson reconsider. Combine that with zero from Lander/Leal (no clue why) I'm betting it's back up to 50/50 on if he's let go. 

Problem is timing. Which seems like our timing has been off for about 13-14 years. Even if Dolson made the move...he couldn't talk to any legit candidates for at least 2 more weeks if not longer.

Great points.  I look at it like this, fire him now if the finances are in check for it.  Set the tone and make a public statement about your vision for the program.  Your statements has to be made that mediocrity is not acceptable.  This will get your fans back on board first.  Second, it gives you a little time to see who is interested behind the scenes for guys who aren't in the college coaching ranks currently. It also gives you time to kick the tires and some potential targets while other programs are still playing.  He has nothing to lose at this point.  This is on Glass and Archie, but he has the chance to be an absolute hero.  He is hired to lead not facilitate the program, which has been what has happened for the last several years.  If you are looking to be elite, I am sure there are plenty of jobs at other schools that would love to have him be their AD.

8 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Laughed at? If we have donors willing to pony up the cash, what do I give a s***

how much he gets paid? Laugh it up while we start actually being contenders on an annual basis again

UCLA offered Cal 1/8th his current salary.  Not sure if you were aware of the origins of my comment.  

We want the same things.  I don't think 7 years and 40 gets Stevens.  Go big or go home.  10 years nearing 100.

11 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Yeah...I was wondering about Leal/Lander as well...it would not surprise me to see a transfer there 

Yeah I don’t get it either. Leal can shoot the rock and plays unselfish and smart. His defense is better than Hunters to say the least. Lander can see the floor really well and could have potentially gave IU a couple assist baskets.

Coming into that game on a 5 game losing streak, what is there to lose?

I would be much more accepting of a losing season with a more experienced freshmen class to build on for the following season than the crazy mess he has now.

That’s why guys like Izzo can build his team all season and get his team ramped up by the time March rolls around. Well, not this year but more times than not.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The fact of the matter is that, if we had hired Calipari back then, I would have stopped being an IU fan.  And, no amount of success would have drawn me back.  I'm not selling out for success.  Basketball just isn't that important.  

That is a completely different discussion than knocking his success. I'm not a big fan of his approach either, but the results since he has had speak for themselves. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The Lander/Leal thing is really mind-boggling.  When you are getting absolutely nothing done offensively for an extended stretch of time, how do you not give those two guys an opportunity.  It's not like they had done nothing the entire year.  While inconsistent, and most freshmen are, at times they both demonstrated an ability to help the offense, even when they weren't scoring themselves.  

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That is a completely different discussion than knocking his success. I'm not a big fan of his approach either, but the results since he has had speak for themselves. 

I was responding to a post that implied we should have hired Pitino or Calipari back in the day,  Sad thing is, I would have welcomed Pitino back then, and been embarrassed as hell with all his transgressions if we had.  Calipari, on the other hand, is a different story.  Would I have liked to match UK's success?  Sure.  Would I have got behind it if it was Calipari leading the charge.  No.  Never.  I would be a fan of another team if that would have happened. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

The Lander/Leal thing is really mind-boggling.  When you are getting absolutely nothing done offensively for an extended stretch of time, how do you not give those two guys an opportunity.  It's not like they had done nothing the entire year.  While inconsistent, and most freshmen are, at times they both demonstrated an ability to help the offense, even when they weren't scoring themselves.  

Yep. I'm sitting here this morning replaying game in my mind and sometimes I miss stuff during game....but not playing either?? Mind-boggling is a perfect word for that and where things stand overall in our program. Just can't believe in what has to be one of the weakest NCAA tourney fields in years....that we can't even make it.

Just tired of being this tired with IU.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When TJD went out with 8:12 or so in the second, the offense was stagnant. I was wondering the same thing about bringing in Hunter or Leal, not so much Lander.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know I have said it before but the Bill of rights is not hurting IU.  It just guarantees and athlete they will still get their education paid for but their roster spot is not guaranteed.  It is mainly to help players who no longer can play their sport due to injuries or let players come back if they leave early/

This is inaccurate. What you point out is just one part of the bill of rights. It doesn't "just guarantee" that. There are other components to it that could be viewed as "harmful" to coaches. How many other schools have followed IU's lead (this happened in 2014)? Look at the quote below.

Collective voice in the admin: Ever heard the saying "letting the patients run the asylum"? Do 18-22 year old kids who play sports at a high level need to be dictating policies at IU? 

Student-athletes will be represented on coach/athletic director hiring committees? So some lacrosse player should have a say in who the next basketball coach is if they are the appointed rep?

No physical or verbal abusive demeaning language being tolerated - This is poorly worded or maybe I just don't understand but what is physical abusive demeaning language? Regardless, Archie could get in trouble for yelling at kids at practice if they take it as abusive or demeaning. Way to go and handcuff a coach and make your teams soft(er).

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2014/6/27/IU_Announces_Unprecedented_Student_Athlete_Bill_of_Rights.aspx

Indiana University believes student-athletes should have a formal Collective Voice in the administration of intercollegiate athletics. Through the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, student-athletes will be annually provided by the Athletics Director a report of the department just like that given to the Board of Trustees and Bloomington Faculty Council, have a chance each semester to meet with the Athletics Director to ask questions and share concerns, as well as have permanent representation on the Bloomington Faculty Council Athletics Committee. Student-athletes will also be represented on any search or advisory committees for the hiring of a head coach or athletics director. Indiana University also commits to develop its student-athletes in A Culture of Trust and Respect, with no physical or verbal abusive demeaning language being tolerated.

17 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Yeah...I was wondering about Leal/Lander as well...it would not surprise me to see a transfer there 

I think both stay if a change is made.  Leal's family is an IU family.  I don't see that guy leaving.  I know his Mom used to be on here, but has maybe moved on, but if she is still lurking, I have heard a few people say that Anthony has a little hitch in his shot.  I think the kids need to do like Franklin and seek some people outside the coaching staff that can help with things like that.  It does not sound like that is happening with the current staff.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was responding to a post that implied we should have hired Pitino or Calipari back in the day,  Sad thing is, I would have welcomed Pitino back then, and been embarrassed as hell with all his transgressions if we had.  Calipari, on the other hand, is a different story.  Would I have liked to match UK's success?  Sure.  Would I have got behind it if it was Calipari leading the charge.  No.  Never.  I would be a fan of another team if that would have happened. 

Not to change the subject, but I will.  In regards to Rick, I think something changed with him when he left for the Celts.  

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think both stay if a change is made.  Leal's family is an IU family.  I don't see that guy leaving.  I know his Mom used to be on here, but has maybe moved on, but if she is still lurking, I have heard a few people say that Anthony has a little hitch in his shot.  I think the kids need to do like Franklin and seek some people outside the coaching staff that can help with things like that.  It does not sound like that is happening with the current staff.

seems strange that neither touched the floor.  it seems the explanations would either be that Archie really has never thought either help give us a chance to win games and figured at this point it's just all about trying to win and he doesn't care what others think or how Leal and Lander would take it?  or he knows if he is back both will be leaving?   

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

I understand the Boos, but this twitter nonsense is embarrassing for our University. Archie is a human being. It hasn't worked out for him in Bloomington, and thats that. He's a good guy and has a great family, the personal attacks I have seen are outrageous.

Gotta admit man responses like to this on Morgan's twitter page are very embarrassing.  He should go root for UK.

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

seems strange that neither touched the floor.  it seems the explanations would either be that Archie really has never thought either help give us a chance to win games and figured at this point it's just all about trying to win and he doesn't care what others think or how Leal and Lander would take it?  or he knows if he is back both will be leaving?   

I think Miller has always preferred to ride or die with his upperclassmen.  If you are a guy that could put up 15 pts as a freshman (Romeo/TJD) then you will see court time because you are undeniably better than the alternative.  If you are a Leal or a Lander who is a bit more questionable, then you aren't getting in ahead of Al, Rob, or Armaan.

And to be fair, both the freshmen mentioned have some things to work on....but last night was one of those situations where I would have put a kid in, told him to shoot and see if they are on that night.  That's just me.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think Miller has always preferred to ride or die with his upperclassmen.  If you are a guy that could put up 15 pts as a freshman (Romeo/TJD) then you will see court time because you are undeniably better than the alternative.  If you are a Leal or a Lander who is a bit more questionable, then you aren't getting in ahead of Al, Rob, or Armaan.

And to be fair, both the freshmen mentioned have some things to work on....but last night was one of those situations where I would have put a kid in, told him to shoot and see if they are on that night.  That's just me.

i agree with all of that, but seems weird he didn't put either in for even a few minutes.  

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Gotta admit man responses like to this on Morgan's twitter page are very embarrassing.  He should go root for UK.

Yeah, we definitely have a jackass component to the fanbase.  I think they exist everywhere but you generally don't seem them unless things are going really bad.  Unfortunately we have found ourselves in that situation quite a bit lately so the a-hole section of our fanbase has been on full display.

People should blow that guy up with comments.  I don't do Twitter so I can't be involved.  You can get some interesting info from that forum, but in my experience it is mostly a forum for people to act like sociopaths.

35 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

When TJD went out with 8:12 or so in the second, the offense was stagnant. I was wondering the same thing about bringing in Hunter or Leal, not so much Lander.

At the 9 minute mark, we were on a run of sorts and Rutgers called a timeout.  When we returned to the floor, Archie put Durham in for RP.  Durham was the point and walked the ball into the offense, dribbled between his legs a few times, one hand lobbed the ball to someone else and then stood, desperation shot at the end of the shot clock...second time down, he threw a horrible pass into the post.  At that point, Rutgers was back up by 3 or 5 and the game was over...if Rob needed a rest, why go with Durham there versus Lander?  Archie’s love affair with Durham over the last few years is unexplainable

Archived