Big Ten 2021

On 12/11/2021 at 1:25 PM, BGleas said:

No, I understand what you're saying. 

When I said the first round pick thing in my original post, I wasn't really referring to where he'd get drafted, I just meant his place in college football. 

He's clearly not a 1st round pick guy, but to me in terms of his college ability and ability to win at the collegiate level, he's in that next tier of QB's. 

As a college team, there's not much difference if you're QB is projected to be drafted 87th or 150th. At that point you don't have an elite/Heisman level guy, but you have a very, very good QB that you can win a major conference title with. 

To me, that is Clifford. He's an upper echelon, though not elite, college QB.  

Roughly around 10 qbs get drafted any given year.....so if he is in that group...he's in the top 5-10% likely in college football. I'd take one of those...yes please!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah that didn't happen. Craig James is a tool.

He's one of the best follows and interviews on Twitter. Absolutely hilarious and ungodly intelligent. 

If you say so. No fan of Craig James and I do like Leach's interviews they are pretty off the wall sometimes but that was about what happened to Adam James...and one thing has nothing to do with the other. Leach has had player mistreatment allegations follow him to Washington St as well... So I wouldn't exactly rush to him for his opinion on player issues. I also should preface by saying I wouldn't exactly take any coaches opinion on the subject too highly...after all they have competing objectives. I suppose it was ok for Leach to leave Washington St after just agreeing to a contract extension and leave all the players that "committed" to him as he sought numerous SEC jobs until he was hired at MSU. 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If you say so. No fan of Craig James and I do like Leach's interviews they are pretty off the wall sometimes but that was about what happened to Adam James...and one thing has nothing to do with the other. Leach has had player mistreatment allegations follow him to Washington St as well... So I wouldn't exactly rush to him for his opinion on player issues. I also should preface by saying I wouldn't exactly take any coaches opinion on the subject too highly...after all they have competing objectives. I suppose it was ok for Leach to leave Washington St after just agreeing to a contract extension and leave all the players that "committed" to him as he sought numerous SEC jobs until he was hired at MSU. 

Yeah, that is ok for him to do that. His position, as a coach, allows him to do that. What other player treatment allegations? There are literally multiple witnesses that say Adam James is full of s***. Why do you think the police or ncaa never did anything to him? He is innocent, that's why. 

Can't fault a guy for wanting to compete in the SEC. Live in SEC country or live in the Washington? He also is a "right" kind of guy, so I doubt that coast was overly intriguing for him. 

What subject are we talking about that we shouldn't take coaches opinions on? But why we are on the issue of "morals" I probably wouldn't use any university as a good example of how to "treat" people. That's just me though. They are the true crooks. Not D1 football coaches. 

I am not engaging in anymore debate about Mike Leach. I've done my HW on the subject, I've done my HW on him. If you want to believe Adam and Craig James go right on ahead. If being morally corrupt were a game... I'm fairly certain Craig James wins in a landslide vs. Mike Leach. 

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah, that is ok for him to do that. His position, as a coach, allows him to do that. What other player treatment allegations? There are literally multiple witnesses that say Adam James is full of s***. Why do you think the police or ncaa never did anything to him? He is innocent, that's why. 

Can't fault a guy for wanting to compete in the SEC. Live in SEC country or live in the Washington? He also is a "right" kind of guy, so I doubt that coast was overly intriguing for him. 

What subject are we talking about that we shouldn't take coaches opinions on? But why we are on the issue of "morals" I probably wouldn't use any university as a good example of how to "treat" people. That's just me though. They are the true crooks. Not D1 football coaches. 

I am not engaging in anymore debate about Mike Leach. I've done my HW on the subject, I've done my HW on him. If you want to believe Adam and Craig James go right on ahead. If being morally corrupt were a game... I'm fairly certain Craig James wins in a landslide vs. Mike Leach. 

No arguements about the Universities. Look he was cleared of allegations at Washington St but another player made claims...I'm sure all coaches deal with that. He has a checkered past to say the least in that area but I'm not really here to argue that point exclusively. I just don't look for coaches to be the ones I'm going to go to for talk about loyalty. They demand it of their players and turn around and chase money (no problem with that, as I would too) at every stop along the way. They are literally on the recruiting trail making promises to a kid one week then off to another school the next. They don't even finish out the season anymore...see Chip Kelly and Lincoln Riley as the most recent examples. I have no problem with coaches making decisions best for them and their family...I just find it hypocritical to do that while telling 20 year old kids with a chance to do the same they should put their dreams on hold or sacrifice some more for the good of the school, fans, teammates, and coaches. That's laughable as Leach would up and leave those same kids, school, and fans in a heart beat for another million dollars or whatever. Can't fault the guy....but you can find fault in a kid up and leaving the SEC for the NFL? After all a coach is part of the team right? In fact he is the head of the team.

Anyways, being loyal to your teammate is more than just playing in a bowl game. Sure it's about putting in the work every day in the weight room. Being responsible and making sure you are eligible. It's about having your teammates back. But more than that it's being there when their mother dies, it's calling them up when they celebrate the birth of their first baby. It's perhaps offering a job or a hand up when they are down on their luck. It's also about being excited and supporting your teammate when they get a life altering chance to go play in the NFL. I get the sacrifice each is making for each other, and the issue that maybe it's best to showcase your talent and raise your stock by playing, but if the kid has the chance to reach his dream (after all isn't that why we ALL go to college in the first place is to get a job and hopefully our dream job) then what are we as teammates and coaches asking of them if we are asking them to put that on hold and risk it away for one more game? Many do it, and for sure there is something to be said for that...but each person has to weigh that risk reward for themselves and will come down differently. Hard for me who has never been in that kids shoes to judge him. To me this is more than just a football decision...it's a life decision. Anyways, I just find it really hilarious this guy who has bailed on his team and would do it again in an instant for a $$ after making millions already has something negative to say about a kid that hasn't made a dollar yet taking the opportunity to go after his dream.

Edited by dgambill

28 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Bell and Karlaftis officially not playing in the bowl game fyi. 

If we weren't already going to AZ to see the Colts we were going to buy tix. Tennessee fans have drove the price of that game way up. No reason that ticket is $100. 

We could make a day trip out of it though, from where I live. Leave at like 9am, watch the game, head to the bars, sleep in Nashville, head home lol Ughhh Nashville is heaven. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

If we weren't already going to AZ to see the Colts we were going to buy tix. Tennessee fans have drove the price of that game way up. No reason that ticket is $100. 

We could make a day trip out of it though, from where I live. Leave at like 9am, watch the game, head to the bars, sleep in Nashville, head home lol Ughhh Nashville is heaven. 

I lived in Paducah for like 15 years....short 90 min drive. Nashville has changed so much in that short amount of time even. That said I have the opposite opinion...the changes for me caused us to stop going...but I know to each their own. It just got a lot more dangerous, very congested, now smells like urine everywhere, and lost it's charm.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep I can see both sides of the argument but ultimately, I don’t blame them one bit for sitting out. 

Bowl games used to mean something more than they do now.  But between the CFP, the ridiculous number of bowl games, and the $$$ that an NFL contract represents... you can hardly blame a young man for taking a more self centered approach.  These athletes have helped make their university a lot of $$$ throughout their years.  I have no problem with this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I lived in Paducah for like 15 years....short 90 min drive. Nashville has changed so much in that short amount of time even. That said I have the opposite opinion...the changes for me caused us to stop going...but I know to each their own. It just got a lot more dangerous, very congested, now smells like urine everywhere, and lost it's charm.

Birmingham is under 3 hours and we have a cousin that lives in Franklin. We just stayed by the City Center for a conference,  and it was very clean and safe. It's one of the main bachelorette destinations now. We walked everywhere and really enjoyed it. I absolutely love Nashville. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Birmingham is under 3 hours and we have a cousin that lives in Franklin. We just stayed by the City Center for a conference,  and it was very clean and safe. It's one of the main bachelorette destinations now. We walked everywhere and really enjoyed it. I absolutely love Nashville. 

Glad you had a wonderful experience! It's a great city still. Before moving to Florida a couple years ago we went to Nashville multiple times a month for 15 years. Don't get me wrong...some people may like the new bar scene and all that but someone that got the local Nashville nightly news and seen the change over time with the take over and how it changed the atmosphere....I personally didn't like it....and yes it now smells like urine everywhere down there imo. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Glad you had a wonderful experience! It's a great city still. Before moving to Florida a couple years ago we went to Nashville multiple times a month for 15 years. Don't get me wrong...some people may like the new bar scene and all that but someone that got the local Nashville nightly news and seen the change over time with the take over and how it changed the atmosphere....I personally didn't like it....and yes it now smells like urine everywhere down there imo. 

Fair enough. Compared to downtown Birmingham, it's an oasis! Hopefully with UAB's new stadium and renovation of the BJCC, Birmingham will continue to improve the entertainment areas of downtown. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Fair enough. Compared to downtown Birmingham, it's an oasis! Hopefully with UAB's new stadium and renovation of the BJCC, Birmingham will continue to improve the entertainment areas of downtown. 

Good point. Certainly depending on if you are comparing it to someplace else. When I compare it to itself and I guess what I used to love about old Nashville it just changed a lot....and I changed a lot...so maybe I'm biased lol.

• Like 1