Big Ten 2021

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean Bell has literally already done that this year. He could’ve easily shut things down after the ND game and we would’ve understood. The fact that he came back and played shows his teammates what kind of competitor and teammate he is. I think the majority of his teammates would understand if he chose not to play. He’s still pretty banged up too and needs to show well at the combine. It’s already been a heck of a season and it’s just one game. Tennessee already announced one of their stud CB’s is opting out too I believe. 

What!?!?!? 

Yes, Alante Taylor is sitting out. 

12 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You can’t be serious? Why risk it when they literally have millions on the line for one last game? Bell already risked a ton this year after his concussion against ND. He easily could’ve sat out the rest of the year and prepped foe the draft. Hell, he didn’t even practice the week of the bucket game and still played because he wanted to be out there for his teammates. I’d say that’s more important than missing a bowl game. 

I agree....this is life altering money on the line. You've proven for 2-3 years who you are. Now as a fan I want to see guys play. The solution is simple....extend the playoffs from 4 to like 12 or whatever. A kid will be much more likely to play if they are playing for something (chance at a NC) then some random bowl game. Yes some of those middling bowl games would miss some stars but nobody is really paying attention to that. Like Purdue's bowl game. No offense to Purdue...great year this year...but nobody but betting people care about that game....it won't be a New Years game or anything. So if you want most of the better players to play....get the Top 10-15 teams in the country in the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I agree....this is life altering money on the line. You've proven for 2-3 years who you are. Now as a fan I want to see guys play. The solution is simple....extend the playoffs from 4 to like 12 or whatever. A kid will be much more likely to play if they are playing for something (chance at a NC) then some random bowl game. Yes some of those middling bowl games would miss some stars but nobody is really paying attention to that. Like Purdue's bowl game. No offense to Purdue...great year this year...but nobody but betting people care about that game....it won't be a New Years game or anything. So if you want most of the better players to play....get the Top 10-15 teams in the country in the playoffs.

You don't think the players care? 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mean not talking about the fan in this whole thing. Screw the fans lol the players don't owe us a darn thing. They owe their teammates though, a lot. 

No they don't. They owe it to themselves to do what is best for them. They've played 12 games that year for their teammates and likely put in 20 years worth of hard work. The Autozone Holiday Bowl means absolutely nothing.....NOTHING. I also don't think the teammates honestly care. They are likely SUPER EXCITED for their teammate to have a chance to go pro! The bowl game to them is just a reward for a winning season....and they deserve that! I can understand why that specific teams fans care I suppose and why the coaches might care....but honestly the coaches bail on their kids all the time...so screw them. I mean Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley don't care about their bowl games...and those will be Jan 1st bowls. They up and left their team, skipping out on the bowls. That shows you right there how much Bowl games mean now days. I just don't see why a kid locked into a draft pick would risk it (unless he feels like he can improve his draft position by the spotlight it brings) or should be looked at negatively. Now if you want them to feel like they have something to play for then tie it into a playoffs...otherwise I don't think teammates get upset after you've put in years of work together and played a full regular season to help you get a bowl game. I think they will be happy for them...tell them to go get that money. It's why guys don't really get all the upset at each other when they do contract holdouts....they all realize it's a BUSINESS decision at that level..and they would make the same and would want support the same if they were in that position. As a fan sure I want to see the best play....heck I want to see TJD come back for his senior season...but objectively I totally understand it.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No they don't. They owe it to themselves to do what is best for them. They've played 12 games that year for their teammates and likely put in 20 years worth of hard work. The Autozone Holiday Bowl means absolutely nothing.....NOTHING. I also don't think the teammates honestly care. They are likely SUPER EXCITED for their teammate to have a chance to go pro! The bowl game to them is just a reward for a winning season....and they deserve that! I can understand why that specific teams fans care I suppose and why the coaches might care....but honestly the coaches bail on their kids all the time...so screw them. I mean Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley don't care about their bowl games...and those will be Jan 1st bowls. They up and left their team, skipping out on the bowls. That shows you right there how much Bowl games mean now days. I just don't see why a kid locked into a draft pick would risk it (unless he feels like he can improve his draft position by the spotlight it brings) or should be looked at negatively. Now if you want them to feel like they have something to play for then tie it into a playoffs...otherwise I don't think teammates get upset after you've put in years of work together and played a full regular season to help you get a bowl game. I think they will be happy for them...tell them to go get that money. It's why guys don't really get all the upset at each other when they do contract holdouts....they all realize it's a BUSINESS decision at that level..and they would make the same and would want support the same if they were in that position. As a fan sure I want to see the best play....heck I want to see TJD come back for his senior season...but objectively I totally understand it.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They need to play tennis then. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, btownqb said:

They need to play tennis then. 

They already gave their teammates a full season. The bowl games are MEANINGLESS. Glorified exihibitions.....heck half the time the coach plays guys that will be coming back for next year as the bowl just means more practices and to help prepare the younger guys for a jump start into spring practices. If the bowl isn't tied to the playoffs and a chance to win a championship those guys have given plenty already to their teammate. Lifted everyday, put in all the film work, double practices, 5 am workouts, beat their body to hell for 12 weeks for each other. Why would you begrudge your brother that has sacrificed himself all year alongside you if now at the end he has the chance to obtain his dream and opts out of a meaningless bowl game. Again...the bowl game is just a reward for those guys. They work their butts off to get there for the trip...not because they want to hold up some auto-part designed trophy. In my opinion and from what I've seen in these high end athletes is that they are very supportive of the guys with the shot to make life changing money. They don't begrudge them. Maybe us that played low level sports who have never had anything worth risking might be a little more selfish. It is very easy for us to sit and say they should sacrifice themselves for our entertainment and if I was their teammate I'd expect them to put their dreams on the line to play one more game with me...but I think that is just a sign that we don't really understand what it really mean to have a shot at something as special and life altering as the NBA/NFL. Their teammates might be disappointed for a moment but they are over it pretty quick...they are just happy to go some place warm for a week or whatever and have fun while playing one more game.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They already gave their teammates a full season. The bowl games are MEANINGLESS. Glorified exihibitions.....heck half the time the coach plays guys that will be coming back for next year as the bowl just means more practices and to help prepare the younger guys for a jump start into spring practices. If the bowl isn't tied to the playoffs and a chance to win a championship those guys have given plenty already to their teammate. Lifted everyday, put in all the film work, double practices, 5 am workouts, beat their body to hell for 12 weeks for each other. Why would you begrudge your brother that has sacrificed himself all year alongside you if now at the end he has the chance to obtain his dream and opts out of a meaningless bowl game. Again...the bowl game is just a reward for those guys. They work their butts off to get there for the trip...not because they want to hold up some auto-part designed trophy. In my opinion and from what I've seen in these high end athletes is that they are very supportive of the guys with the shot to make life changing money. They don't begrudge them. Maybe us that played low level sports who have never had anything worth risking might be a little more selfish. It is very easy for us to sit and say they should sacrifice themselves for our entertainment and if I was their teammate I'd expect them to put their dreams on the line to play one more game with me...but I think that is just a sign that we don't really understand what it really mean to have a shot at something as special and life altering as the NBA/NFL. Their teammates might be disappointed for a moment but they are over it pretty quick...they are just happy to go some place warm for a week or whatever and have fun while playing one more game.

You posting all this does not change my opinion, at all. I have mentioned that. Just change 12 weeks to 13 weeks and there you go. Their job isn't done just because the regular season is over. Idc how lowly the bowl is. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You posting all this does not change my opinion, at all. I have mentioned that. Just change 12 weeks to 13 weeks and there you go. Their job isn't done just because the regular season is over. Idc how lowly the bowl is. 

Cool....your right, I doubt anyone has changed your mind even a little about anything. I was hoping maybe you would see that there is a very good arguement to make on the other side but your point that they should just play tennis tells me your attitude. No matter if we sit on the same side of the coin or the opposite I value people's opinions and the time they put into expressing them. I also may not change mine due to what they express but I'd like to think I'm not so dismissive. The whole point of sharing our opinions and discussing these things is that we are open to new ideas and the sharing of ideas. If we are just here to give our opinion and dismiss everyone that disagrees all the time...well that isn't really being productive to the group. That just makes this a place for you to grandstand.

As for as players should play in the bowl games I was on that side of things for several years...and sometimes I do think it's a mistake not to take the chance to showcase your skills in the spotlight. Sometimes I think players are listening to those around them a little too much about where they think they will go but I've changed my mind on this issue as time has gone on and how little importance bowl games have become over time due to the changes in college football landscape. Now I just look at them as little more then exhibitions and I look at how little coaches care about their players and their programs and I look at how the NCAA treats the athletes and with the portal and kids moving around all the time....to sit there and risk your dream because of some blind loyalty to a program that doesn't really have loyalty to you seems a little out of place in the current climate.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Cool....your right, I doubt anyone has changed your mind even a little about anything. I was hoping maybe you would see that there is a very good arguement to make on the other side but your point that they should just play tennis tells me your attitude. No matter if we sit on the same side of the coin or the opposite I value people's opinions and the time they put into expressing them. I also may not change mine due to what they express but I'd like to think I'm not so dismissive. The whole point of sharing our opinions and discussing these things is that we are open to new ideas and the sharing of ideas. If we are just here to give our opinion and dismiss everyone that disagrees all the time...well that isn't really being productive to the group. That just makes this a place for you to grandstand.

As for as players should play in the bowl games I was on that side of things for several years...and sometimes I do think it's a mistake not to take the chance to showcase your skills in the spotlight. Sometimes I think players are listening to those around them a little too much about where they think they will go but I've changed my mind on this issue as time has gone on and how little importance bowl games have become over time due to the changes in college football landscape. Now I just look at them as little more then exhibitions and I look at how little coaches care about their players and their programs and I look at how the NCAA treats the athletes and with the portal and kids moving around all the time....to sit there and risk your dream because of some blind loyalty to a program that doesn't really have loyalty to you seems a little out of place in the current climate.

There is an opposing argument, I agree. I don't agree with it though. Not even a little bit. It's also been discussed multiple times on here.

There is a lack of selflessness in the world and especially in sports. There is no rule in CFB that says your job is done when the regular season is over, and quite honestly I find that opinion very weird. Like you worked allll this time and now you get to play in a unique environment against a team you don't usually play, in front of a sold out crowd... and you bail!?! 

Makes no sense. For real... the whole "well they played a whole season for their teammates and now they should just be able to sit out" ... what if the entire team did that? How is that right reserved for the top players? Gross. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is an opposing argument, I agree. I don't agree with it though. Not even a little bit. It's also been discussed multiple times on here.

There is a lack of selflessness in the world and especially in sports. There is no rule in CFB that says your job is done when the regular season is over, and quite honestly I find that opinion very weird. Like you worked allll this time and now you get to play in a unique environment against a team you don't usually play, in front of a sold out crowd... and you bail!?! 

Makes no sense. For real... the whole "well they played a whole season for their teammates and now they should just be able to sit out" ... what if the entire team did that? How is that right reserved for the top players? Gross. 

Very fair opinion to have. I'm with you in a way. Just think that college athletics have changed a ton....sports overall....and maybe not for the better but it's where we are. Heck we have almost a whole league that doesn't play unless they are like 100% healthy and professional teams tanking and sitting their guys and it just goes on and on. Definitely not a good thing for sports in general....the pureness of sports I guess. In that argument we 100% agree....just that genie is not going back into the bottle...and college sports in general used to be about your brother and representing your school etc etc. Now it's basically semi-pro...and all of this stuff is just business decisions. I don't like it...but I realize that is what it has become...and so if everyone is treating it like a business...then the kid should look out for his career. In my business and career, over 20 years ago and heck my father over 40-50 years ago went to work and was loyal and gave everything they had to their employer...and were we rewarded or were they loyal back?? nope....not anymore...so now when it comes to my employment while I'm 100% effort and my goal is to work hard for my company and succeed...I'm now ALWAYS aware of what is going on around me and won't hesitate to make the best decision for myself and my family...because I can't trust for the organization to do the same for me.

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Very fair opinion to have. I'm with you in a way. Just think that college athletics have changed a ton....sports overall....and maybe not for the better but it's where we are. Heck we have almost a whole league that doesn't play unless they are like 100% healthy and professional teams tanking and sitting their guys and it just goes on and on. Definitely not a good thing for sports in general....the pureness of sports I guess. In that argument we 100% agree....just that genie is not going back into the bottle...and college sports in general used to be about your brother and representing your school etc etc. Now it's basically semi-pro...and all of this stuff is just business decisions. I don't like it...but I realize that is what it has become...and so if everyone is treating it like a business...then the kid should look out for his career. In my business and career, over 20 years ago and heck my father over 40-50 years ago went to work and was loyal and gave everything they had to their employer...and were we rewarded or were they loyal back....not anymore...so now when it comes to my employment while I'm 100% effort and my goal is to work hard for my company and succeed...I'm now ALWAYS aware of what is going on around me and won't hesitate to make the best decision for myself and my family...because I can't trust for the organization to do the same for me.

Still is. 

I don't think the players owe the school or the coach a darn thing. As I've mentioned, going all the way back to my first post, we ain't cool if I'm your teammate and you sit. Idc if you are going to the NFL or not. Should play zero part in the decision, imo. (and yes I realize that it does)

My perspective is basically if I was a teammate of these guys. I am not cool with them sitting. I wouldn't support it. I also don't agree that you should just blindly be OK with everything someone does just because we currently have a soft society and that's what everyone says to do. 

Also.. just because I said "my opinion isn't changing or whatever" doesn't mean that was a blanket statement and it doesn't mean I don't appreciate dialogue, I just don't truly have that strong of an opinion on this. I understand it may seem that way, but if I am going to converse, I'm going to go all in, and it makes it seem like everything is a big deal to me... when in reality, it's not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Agree with what you are saying, but also agree with btown that quitting on teammates sends the wrong message.

If, as you say, this is viewed as players making business decisions, I could turn that around on you. These bowl game sponsors put a lot of pressure on schools to sell tickets--or eat the cost of not meeting the minimum expectations. What kind of business owner asks his customers to pay for something, knowing ahead of time that the product is not going to be the best he could produce? If these bowl games truly do mean nothing, then there should be zero financial incentives to staging them, or playing in them. Give all television, gate, parking and food and beverage revenue to the charity of your choice. 

IMO, the whole bowl game concept is a sham, unless used as a playdown system to determining a national champion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree with what you are saying, but also agree with btown that quitting on teammates sends the wrong message.

If, as you say, this is viewed as players making business decisions, I could turn that around on you. These bowl game sponsors put a lot of pressure on schools to sell tickets--or eat the cost of not meeting the minimum expectations. What kind of business owner asks his customers to pay for something, knowing ahead of time that the product is not going to be the best he could produce? If these bowl games truly do mean nothing, then there should be zero financial incentives to staging them, or playing in them. Give all television, gate, parking and food and beverage revenue to the charity of your choice. 

IMO, the whole bowl game concept is a sham, unless used as a playdown system to determining a national champion.

This for sure. Who knows...it's all about TV money etc. In the end it's about getting a program whose fans will watch regardless of who is playing for them. Guess I just mean by a business decision is the kids are basically interviewing for their dream job. Some should or absolutely need to showcase their talents...some need to protect themselves. I think maybe some see these bowl games differently. 20-30 years ago it was like something special...heck sometimes there wasn't a NC game and it mattered how you did because depending how the other games played out you could play yourself into a championship. Now those....it's a showcase...to me it doesn't really count. Maybe for bragging rights or whatever but it's no different than the pro bowl. Coaches don't seem to care as they bail on their teams before them and kids are hitting the portal and some going pro. It used to matter to see which conference was better than another by having their champion play in them...but now that is just the CFP so what are we even playing them for? I just can't fault a kid for choosing to prioritize his NFL career over something like that. I wish we weren't where we are with all this. I wish sports still had that purity..but heck half these kids have endorsement deals and making more than me now...before they even get to the NFL. Guess the system is so broke I don't care much for it. 

Yes the deal would be to tie more bowls into the playoffs so that at least the kids would feel obligated to continue playing as it would be for a shot at a NC.

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

This isn't like a big deal to me, but I don't agree with some of you that believe it's ok. Sorry I just don't. All that talk of togetherness and sacrificing for each other and you sit out the biggest game of the year? Cmon now. 

You mean we actually agree on something.  What if some of the players who are in the CFP quits on their team to prepare for the draft.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

No they didn't because there is another game to b played.  I think they should make them pay back for the scholarship for this year if they don't play in the bowl game.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

No they didn't because there is another game to b played.  I think they should make them pay back for the scholarship for this year if they don't play in the bowl game.

Most bowl games are after finals, semester is over.  

Since this conversation hasn't died.  Imagine your mom still lives in the nastiest of conditions on the east side of Indy, 3 murders in the last month at her complex.  Your little brother's best friend was one of the kids killed.  An agent offers you a front of 100k and says he'll get the family up in carmel by the end of the week.  Uh yeah, stop lecturing and let the kids decide what's best for them.  We have no clue.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2021 at 9:07 PM, NotIThatLives said:

Most bowl games are after finals, semester is over.  

Since this conversation hasn't died.  Imagine your mom still lives in the nastiest of conditions on the east side of Indy, 3 murders in the last month at her complex.  Your little brother's best friend was one of the kids killed.  An agent offers you a front of 100k and says he'll get the family up in carmel by the end of the week.  Uh yeah, stop lecturing and let the kids decide what's best for them.  We have no clue.  

Hey that's certainly fair. I don't think your scenario is very realistic, as far as what the agent can do in a weeks time, but my whole stance on this is from a teammates perspective. 

I wouldn't be cool with a teammate sitting out. Either you're with us or... 

Why don't NCAAB players sit out March Madness? Or conference tourneys? I don't understand where the line is. 

Again.. not all that big of a deal to me, I don't think less of guys who sit out, but I would if I was there teammate, no question.