Potential replacement coaches

28 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

Can't agree more on both your points......Pitino is same age as Belein at 68 which worries me.  However you are right, Pitino would bring back a lot of hysteria to the Hoosier brand, both good and bad.  But there would be a lot of excitement either way.

I mean wine prostitutes and strippers has at least saved 10 years on his life.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re Pitino: The NCAA still hasn't ruled on the UL infractions case arising from the Feds investigation into college hoops.  Pitino was charged with failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance.  Of course this investigation started when Pitino and Louisville were already on probation from the strippers for recruits sex scandal (a case in which the notorious control freak Pitino claimed he had no idea what was going on or where the money was coming from lol).   Whatever anything thinks about the significance of the feds college hoops probe, there's just no way IU would hire a coach coming off 2 NCAA infractions cases.  

No one cares when Iona hires a coach in the NCAA crosshairs, but IU would be a completely different story.  And by the way, I think Pitino is one of the best basketball coaches alive (as evidenced by what he's done in the past couple of weeks).  

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

What is everyone’s wish? Win immediately at all costs? Developing players as they go thru a 4 year cycle? Get only Indiana kids? Recruit the east coast? 

Rick P likely wins soonest

Beilein develops pretty well...

CAM recruiting Indiana pretty well until ‘21

can we just have all 3? 

if Sampson hadn’t had a drug fueled program, he may still be here from 15 years ago

Build your program with guys who will be here a while but get most of the roster from players in the 30-80 range.  Cant' have more than half of your roster being over 100+.  Need to be able to have a balance roster with more than 1 guy over 6'9. I like to see more wings that are 6'6 to 6'7 range than 6'4 or 6'5.

What power 5 basketball program cares less about public opinion?  Auburn already has Pearl.  No one has hired Sampson away from Houston.  You would think a sec or b12 team would take Sampson all day long but they haven't.  

I give Pitino a zero % chance of ever coaching IU.  Admit it.  

I'm still trying to think who would hire him after the fiasco.  Lsu?  They have their sleeze.  UK? Lol. That would be hilarious.  

Who coaches Miss st?  They hired Kiffin so they probably would hire Pitino.  

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Build your program with guys who will be here a while but get most of the roster from players in the 30-80 range.  Cant' have more than half of your roster being over 100+.  Need to be able to have a balance roster with more than 1 guy over 6'9. I like to see more wings that are 6'6 to 6'7 range than 6'4 or 6'5.

@rico Scott's out of bed.  

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For those if you that are, inexplicitly, interested in Pitino, you had better not be the same crowd complaining about Belien's age.  Yes, John is 68.  But, guess what, so is Rick.  In fact, Rick is 5 months older.

Rather have Beilein

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll pose this question for any poster that lives in the Louisville Metro area.  

As an IU fan, based on what you saw or heard while living in the Louisville metro, would you be okay with Rick Pitino as coach?

If winning is the highest priority I’d take RP, but I’d surround him with compliance hawks. Tom Jurich turned many a blind eye to what was going on in the Cardinal program.

I just don’t think we can be picky at this point. If we want to win we need to go get a proven winner. Is RP a good guy? probably not. Is he sleazy? Sure seems to be.

Archie is none of those things, but he also not a winner, either.

RP winsEVERYWHERE. Hs teams play hard. They defend and pressure for 40 minutes.

I’d first vote to back the money truck up to Steven’s house. If he passes I’d go get a proven winner, like RP.

Just my take.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In some classes, the 125th ranked player is the equivalent to the 80th ranked player in another class. 

I'll go back to what I posted yesterday,  There are 65 Power 5 programs.  Thrown in Gonzaga, Villanova, etc. and you have 70+ teams every year competing for the top players in the country.  So, a team's 'share' of the Top 150 pool in every class is 2 players.  Factor in that schools like Duke and UK are always grabbing more than that, then it's not as easy as it sounds.

The fact is, though, that other teams make it work.  IU isn't right now.  

41 minutes ago, TargaFlorio said:

Re Pitino: The NCAA still hasn't ruled on the UL infractions case arising from the Feds investigation into college hoops.  Pitino was charged with failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance.  Of course this investigation started when Pitino and Louisville were already on probation from the strippers for recruits sex scandal (a case in which the notorious control freak Pitino claimed he had no idea what was going on or where the money was coming from lol).   Whatever anything thinks about the significance of the feds college hoops probe, there's just no way IU would hire a coach coming off 2 NCAA infractions cases.  

No one cares when Iona hires a coach in the NCAA crosshairs, but IU would be a completely different story.  And by the way, I think Pitino is one of the best basketball coaches alive (as evidenced by what he's done in the past couple of weeks).  

True. He could still be hit with a show cause

13 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Current list ( not swayed by the hot coach in tournament syndrome )

• Stevens
  • Beiliein
  • Pitino
  • Sampson
  • Alford

not onboard yet with an Oats or Musselman....record is too easily picked apart under scrutiny.....no better hope for progress than Archie IMO

I think Stevens would definitely bring the most excitement to the program; the buzz and anticipation would be through the roof and certainly the results would be there.

But I would also stand behind a Sampson re-hire (as extremely unlikely as is). If we're doing a 4-year litmus test, I believe we'd be in the tournament at least by year 2 and contending for top seeds by year 4.

I know I am in the minority on this topic but to me I still want IU to win but not at any cost.  To me it is embarrassing seeing some of the names thrown around who has had checkered past when it comes to breaking the rules.  IU fans in the past would not tolerate this line of thinking but I guess a lot of us are getting to old and the younger guys just wants to win at any cost.

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In some classes, the 125th ranked player is the equivalent to the 80th ranked player in another class. 

I'll go back to what I posted yesterday,  There are 65 Power 5 programs.  Thrown in Gonzaga, Villanova, etc. and you have 70+ teams every year competing for the top players in the country.  So, a team's 'share' of the Top 150 pool in every class is 2 players.  Factor in that schools like Duke and UK are always grabbing more than that, then it's not as easy as it sounds.

The fact is, though, that other teams make it work.  IU isn't right now.  

The thing is then there are the bottom teams in those conferences that usually never get top 100 kids

Just now, IU Scott said:

I know I am in the minority on this topic but to be i still want IU to win but not at any cost.  To me it is embarrassing seeing some of the names thrown around who has had checkered past when it comes to breaking the rules.  IU fans in the past would not tolerate this line of thinking but I guess a lot of us are getting to old and the younger guys just wants to win at any cost.

For me I want win but not at any cost. But we have to love grey now.

2 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

If LSU beats Alabama, how long before we see their coach end up on one of these candidates lists? Honestly? Lol.....

I've already seen a lot of names that made me chuckle...

I was wondering how long it would be before someone brought up Geno Auriemma...

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know I am in the minority on this topic but to me I still want IU to win but not at any cost.  To me it is embarrassing seeing some of the names thrown around who has had checkered past when it comes to breaking the rules.  IU fans in the past would not tolerate this line of thinking but I guess a lot of us are getting to old and the younger guys just wants to win at any cost.

We tolerated a coach with a checkered history for thirty years because he was also a winner. We may have to agree to disagree.

Archived