Potential replacement coaches

23 minutes ago, JugRox said:

What has Fife done in the last 10 years to prove he is ready to be the head coach at IU?

What in the actual f*** does “he gets it” mean? He played for Mike Davis. So, we think Mike Davis basketball is some wine that got better with age? 

ok.....I’m out. lol

NCAA tournaments since 2017.

Mike Davis - 2

Indiana - 0

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Thx for the response.  The first 2 are obvious.  Smith learned from Tim miles right?   Mack?  We need more pack line?  

Mack is a 50-50 to me. First, I don’t think he is leaving UofL, but I’m not sold on him anyway. I think he would be worth the 10 million risk....maybe? lol

I’m a Smith fan. But, is he Miller 2.0?

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well doing the opposite way hasn't worked for 21 years so why not go back to what worked before

I wouldn’t use the word “opposite”. They just didn’t hire a IU guy. Miller plays pretty damn close to “IU style” and he sure recruits “IU kids”, right?

What about Miller isnt IU style or IU kids? 

Because if it’s the winning, see my previous post.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It also means he knows what it takes to get on the fans good side and do all the alumni stuff needed to coach at IU.  An IU guy would know the style of play and the type of kids that fits best at IU

Absolutely. Coaching and playing for IU is different. A coach that understands what is expected/demanded of a player is critical.

4 minutes ago, JugRox said:

I wouldn’t use the word “opposite”. They just didn’t hire a IU guy. Miller plays pretty damn close to “IU style” and he sure recruits “IU kids”, right?

What about Miller isnt IU style or IU kids? 

Because if it’s the winning, see my previous post.

Well Archie's offense is no where near what Indiana offense looks like.  Indiana basketball is about shooters, Smart basketball IQ and players who play with intensity and have not seen that from Archie's teams.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well Archie's offense is not where near what Indiana offense looks like.  Indiana basketball is about shooters, Smart basketball IQ and players who play with intensity and have not seen that from Archie's teams.

You could use that to describe literally any offense in college basketball.

smart IQ, shooters, intensity.....why offense doesn’t need that?

4 minutes ago, JugRox said:

You could use that to describe literally any offense in college basketball.

smart IQ, shooters, intensity.....why offense doesn’t need that?

Compare Virginia vs virtually any SEC team and the majority of the ACC teams.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m done with the Fife talk. I’m out. Sorry I prefer to hire the best coach on the bench. Fife is 3rd on his own team. Whatever...I just can’t. I know we are desperate but this IU guy thing is just so overblown. And to use Roy Williams as the reasoning ...he is also the reason you don’t have to hire a former alum...and yet then became the reason you do. Guy is just a great HOF coach....quit trying to compare guys. If fife was the guy whatever but nothing says he merits the job.

Who merits the job, long respected you as a poster.  Beyond the obvious wish list.  Are you saying stick with miller?

1 hour ago, JugRox said:

Drew. Musselman. Maybe Craig Smith. Mayne Mack.

If you can’t get Stevens.

Keep Miller otherwise.

If we have to go get a young, less proven coach I would take Boyton and Okie State 100x over Fife. That dude is only making $1M/year, he would be easy to get. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If we have to go get a young, less proven coach I would take Boyton and Okie State 100x over Fife. That dude is only making $1M/year, he would be easy to get. 

Can he bring Cade Cunningham with him.  Also need to bring Cades brother with him since Boyton hired him as an assistant to get cade.

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Having the best player in CBB will make a coach look good 

I agree. I don't want Boynton, but I would take him over Fife. He's at least proven he can have a top tenish team. 

Fife? He has a losing career record and hasn't been head coach in a decade. If we hired someone with that resume that didn't play here I think the fan base would revolt. 

3 hours ago, JugRox said:

Scott, from now on, at least reference things in this century to be taken seriously. That happened over 30 years ago. 

THINGS CHANGE 

From 1935 to 1941 Minnesota won 4 national championships in football.

The success story of Roy Williams at KU is relevant in any era. It means even a young, relatively inexperienced coach can succeed if he’s put in the right situation Or it also means some people are just born to do something so much better than most of others. 

Like you said, if this story is not worth to be mentioned just because it happened in 1988, then why do we even celebrate the last undefeated 1976 team? That IU team will probably lose multiple games in today’s basketball, and most likely not win the championship either. 

13 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

If they hire Fife they have to bring in an experienced coach like Beilien or I’d even consider Wittman or Woodson who have extensive NBA playing and coaching resume which is a big deal in recruiting.

For sure.  It would be nice to see a chicago connection to bring create opportunities there.  

19 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

The success story of Roy Williams at KU is relevant in any era. It means even a young, relatively inexperienced coach can succeed if he’s put in the right situation Or it also means some people are just born to do something so much better than most of others. 

Like you said, if this story is not worth to be mentioned just because it happened in 1988, then why do we even celebrate the last undefeated 1976 team? That IU team will probably lose multiple games in today’s basketball, and most likely not win the championship either. 

Nobody cares. But thanks for the history lesson.

Is that how Fife is going to recruit? 

Fife isn’t going to be the next coach.

Archived