Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You have let Dan Dakich, his negativity, and his low standards inhabit your mind.  Cleanse your mind of these weak thoughts.

Here is what happens when you hire Alford.  10% of the nostalgia fans are elated.  10% immediately quit following.  80% remains not caring because the program would still have a coach that would get his pants coached off night in, night out in the B1G.  Screw IU culture.  IU culture was finding every single way to win.  That includes getting the absolute best coach you can.  

This times a million.  I would start donating to Purdue programs if IU hired Alford. 

26 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

With mention of Alford, it got me wondering.  Has a anyone ever coached two different B10 teams?  It's pretty rare for a player to play for two different teams (especially with the old scholarship rule), but I can only think of the IU women's team coach that went to PU...

Good thought.  How about Turgeon at MD being cosidered?   I live out East and know his reputation as coach, motivator and teacher is very good.  His teams usually show growth and often over perform in tournaments.  This year, the way they stepped up at season’s end was impressive.  And their player talent is down right now.   Thoughts anyone?

3 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

But you don’t go to someone you who hasn’t worked out at two other programs especially at a program where he could recruit better than IU. You see how much talent he had at UCLA and still couldn’t win the conference? The worst high major conference? You try to find the next coach if a big time hire doesn’t want it, not some retread coach you most definitely will have to fire and one that the dumbass fans have some weird attachment to.  Makes them harder to get rid of.  He is worse than Crean. His teams do not play any D. Crean at least went past a sweet 16. Let’s use our brains instead of dusting off old memorabilia players who are a mid major coach. Dane Fife would be the better option.  You don’t know his ceiling. We know Alford’s. 

544-290 and 65% winning is not bad and made 3 sweet 16's in 4 years at UCLA.  I rather go with an IU guy then go after another mid major guy who hasn't coached at a power 5 level.

Just now, IU_Realist said:

This times a million.  I would start donating to Purdue programs if IU hired Alford. 

1 minute ago, John S said:

Good thought.  How about Turgeon at MD being cosidered?   I live out East and know his reputation as coach, motivator and teacher is very good.  His teams usually show growth and often over perform in tournaments.  This year, the way they stepped up at season’s end was impressive.  And their player talent is down right now.   Thoughts anyone?

Turgeon really? Jesus Christ.....

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

Whoever is the coach I will back them until they prove other wise. If you or anyone else goes over to PU then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

544-290 and 65% winning is not bad and made 3 sweet 16's in 4 years at UCLA.  I rather go with an IU guy then go after another mid major guy who hasn't coached at a power 5 level.

Most of those wins were at mid majors.  He is a mid major coach.  Don’t deny that. Most of that was with someone else’s players. He started the spiral the last two seasons with his own players.  He is the tail of getting rich early because of the base already there and being a dud in the end.  So did Crean for Christ’s sake.  They don’t play a lick of defense. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Whoever is the coach I will back them until they prove other wise. If you or anyone else goes over to PU then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

It’s the principal of how much of a crap hole Indiana basketball has become if they hire someone with Alford’s background. Painter would kick his ass every year just like he is doing to Miller.  

7 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Turgeon is being talked about being fired. He underachieves every year with the talent that he has. Turgeon should never be the IU coach period. 

Compare his record at MD to CAM at IU. Sweet 16, Big Ten Champ,  4 times top 3 best in conference.  Case closed.  

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

JMV really wants Fife to get the job. 

Getting a lot of noise that CAM has been told and announcement coming pretty quickly after selection Sunday. Take it for what's it worth. 

Fife I can get behind.  He is well liked in Indiana and many think he has a bright future. He is the right type of mindset and player.  We don’t know his ceiling.  If we are going to go IU guy, go Fife.  

2 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Fife I can get behind.  He is well liked in Indiana and many think he has a bright future. He is the right type of mindset and player.  We don’t know his ceiling.  If we are going to go IU guy, go Fife.  

I feel just the opposite.  IMO, it would be one of the dumbest decisions I could envision.  However, considering my past opinions on candidates and hires at the time....it could be genius, IDK 😄

Just now, Zuckerkorn said:

I feel just the opposite.  IMO, it would be one of the dumbest decisions I could envision.  However, considering my past opinions on candidates and hires at the time....it could be genius, IDK 😄

My thing was if we are going after an IU guy.  Who else is there? Him, Alford (hope not) or Lawrence Frank?

7 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

I agree.  There are a lot of fans that are strongly against Fife and I don't understand it.   I can see the case against Fife, but to the point he would be a terrible hire.

He isn't a 100% guarantee that the program will succeed under him, but he has D1 head coach experience and long time under Izzo.  I think he is a coach's son too if I remember correctly.   His dad and brother both played at UM.

Just now, Andy06 said:

I agree.  There are a lot of fans that are strongly against Fife and I don't understand it.  

He isn't a 100% guarantee that the program will succeed under him, but he has D1 head coach experience and long time under Izzo.  I think he is a coach's son too if I remember correctly.   His dad and brother both played at UM.

I just hate the idea of an IU guy in general.  You want the best.  No IU guy with experience fits those parameters. So if we go IU guy, take a chance on someone who has great experiences and has potential...like Fife. No other IU guy with experience has the ceiling we want.  Frank could be a wild card but he has no college experience.  Different world.  

2 hours ago, madmax said:

I don't know why I am doing this... but what about Alford's resume makes you believe the fact that he would be successful here? And be honest, if he had not played here would you actually want a coach who has never been past the sweet 16 over a couple decades of coaching?

He was a very good coach at Iowa and would be even better at IU period. 

Archived