Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Musselman coached Keith Smart twice - I wonder if bringing Keith on as an assistant would be a viable option? 

I initially thought he would be too risky as he hasn’t been coaching in the SEC very long and the SEC is weaker compared to B1G and Big 12 ... but the more you guys talk him up and I did some more digging ... and the Smart connection ... very intriguing 

30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

So what happens if IU follows this approach, Stevens rights the ship in Boston this year, and says no. Now you’re stuck with CAM for next year, which will be a disaster. You need to know now if Stevens wants the job

5 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

That’s fair... I just remember seeing it on this board back in the day obviously could’ve been a non reliable source 🤷🏻‍♂️

I thought what was said was that IU had no scholarships available and if Archie had gotten rid of a couple of players it would hurt the APR

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

Come on Dolsen. Make that call to Alford. IU basketball will take off like a rocket to the ship. Number 6 will be in sight. 

6 more than Purdue. Jesus that program blows. I mean, who would actually support that crap? Right jojo? 

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought what was said was that IU had no scholarships available and if Archie had gotten rid of a couple of players it would hurt the APR

Thats correct. Crean creaned so many players Archie had his hands tied by the APR.

With mention of Alford, it got me wondering.  Has a anyone ever coached two different B10 teams?  It's pretty rare for a player to play for two different teams (especially with the old scholarship rule), but I can only think of the IU women's team coach that went to PU...

4 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

With mention of Alford, it got me wondering.  Has a anyone ever coached two different B10 teams?  It's pretty rare for a player to play for two different teams (especially with the old scholarship rule), but I can only think of the IU women's team coach that went to PU...

I know Tubby Smith coached two SEC schools in Georgia and UK

Steve Alford would be another dumb hire upon dumb hires.  When you have been fired by two other high majors you have to think that isn’t good enough.  When can we be done with the Steve Alford posts and stupidity? Because if that is going to be the hire, we have hit a really bad low in terms of the program. 

7 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Steve Alford would be another dumb hire upon dumb hires.  When you have been fired by two other high majors you have to think that isn’t good enough.  When can we be done with the Steve Alford posts and stupidity? Because if that is going to be the hire, we have hit a really bad low in terms of the program. 

He is not the top of my list but we have hired as assistant coach(Davis) did not work. Hired a coach from a power 5 conference who had baggage(Sampson) did not work.  Hired  a power 5 coach who went to the final four(Crean) did not work.  Hired an up and coming mid major coach(Miller) did not work.  Why not try the IU guy who might bring back the IU culture and get back the people who made IU great.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He is not the top of my list but we have hired as assistant coach(Davis) did not work. Hired a coach from a power 5 conference who had baggage(Sampson) did not work.  Hired  a power 5 coach who went to the final four(Crean) did not work.  Hired an up and coming mid major coach(Miller) did not work.  Why not try the IU guy who might bring back the IU culture and get back the people who made IU great.

But you don’t go to someone you who hasn’t worked out at two other programs especially at a program where he could recruit better than IU. You see how much talent he had at UCLA and still couldn’t win the conference? The worst high major conference? You try to find the next coach if a big time hire doesn’t want it, not some retread coach you most definitely will have to fire and one that the dumbass fans have some weird attachment to.  Makes them harder to get rid of.  He is worse than Crean. His teams do not play any D. Crean at least went past a sweet 16. Let’s use our brains instead of dusting off old memorabilia players who are a mid major coach. Dane Fife would be the better option.  You don’t know his ceiling. We know Alford’s. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

You have let Dan Dakich, his negativity, and his low standards inhabit your mind.  Cleanse your mind of these weak thoughts.

Here is what happens when you hire Alford.  10% of the nostalgia fans are elated.  10% immediately quit following.  80% remains not caring because the program would still have a coach that would get his pants coached off night in, night out in the B1G.  Screw IU culture.  IU culture was finding every single way to win.  That includes getting the absolute best coach you can.  

Archived