Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder what KU fans said when they hired an assistant coach from UNC with no HC experience a year after they won the championship in 1988

Scott, from now on, at least reference things in this century to be taken seriously. That happened over 30 years ago. 

THINGS CHANGE 

From 1935 to 1941 Minnesota won 4 national championships in football.

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Scott, from now on, at least reference things in this century to be taken seriously. That happened over 30 years ago. 

THINGS CHANGE 

Why? he was an assistant coach and most don't go from assistant to a HC at a blue blood program.

THINGS CHANGE 

No freakin doubt. Seriously that is like comparing nba now to before free agency or something like modern basketball now to before the 3pt line was accepted. Geez

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I have to disagree, but thats cool.  There is fault in every coach being named.  Dane Fife is who I would want over all the names being mentioned except Stevens.  Butz that is me.

If he doesn't work out, Lewis or the NBA IU guys.  

My opinion.  

Yeah it’s interesting, many IU fans not wanting an IU guy.  If it can’t be Stevens, beard, Drew or beilen, I would be okay with fife.  I think he gets it’s it.  When he gets his shot, he will make it work. 

1 minute ago, Threedom said:

Yeah it’s interesting, many IU fans not wanting an IU guy.  If it can’t be Stevens, beard, Drew or beilen, I would be okay with fife.  I think he gets it’s it.  When he gets his shot, he will make it work. 

If guys like Drew, Musselman, Beard, Mack, etc all said no after we offered them a top 5 salary then you might have a good point.  But they won't. 

6 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Name one in the last 20 years...

Hell, name ONE other in the last 30.

You don’t think the fact that Kansas was being placed on probation had anything to do with the fact they had to hire an assistant coach instead of a head coach...doesn’t hurt Williams had a track record of elite recruiting and working with elite talent...especially some kid with the initials MJ. It was a special case. I’d love to know why people think Fife is the next HOF coach. Heck most insiders think Stephens is the better basketball mind and glue guy then Fife. So why hire Fife?

9 minutes ago, Threedom said:

What has Fife done in the last 10 years to prove he is ready to be the head coach at IU?

What in the actual f*** does “he gets it” mean? He played for Mike Davis. So, we think Mike Davis basketball is some wine that got better with age? 

ok.....I’m out. lol

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

What has Fife done in the last 10 years to prove he is ready to be the head coach at IU?

What in the actual f*** does “he gets it” mean? He played for Mike Davis. So, we think Mike Davis basketball is some wine that got better with age? 

ok.....I’m out. lol

Played two years under RMK

ok.....I’m out. lol

Well, everyone thought Tom Crean and Archie Miller had quite the resume to be IUs coach. How'd that work out?

Indiana is different. When he says Fife "gets it", he understands what made IU great. He understood the expectations put on players and the commitment it took to be great. The same is required to be the coach. If you think coaching at IU is the same as Marquette, Dayton Texas Tech, etc. you are crazy.

I'm not in the "Has to be an IU guy" camp, but I totally understand where they are coming from. This job is unlike 99% of them. That's why we haven't kept a coach for 20 years.

If Archie gets fired and we can't land a too guy, I'd take Fife over any of the flash in the pans that keep getting pumped up.

4 minutes ago, JugRox said:

ok.....I’m out. lol

Ok man maybe I’m not taking this as seriously as you.  Fife played several years for RMK, not just Davis.  Learned from from Izzo for many yrs.  and I said if the others didn’t work out.  Just what do you propose, obviously you have all the answers.

2 minutes ago, ephul said:

Well, everyone thought Tom Crean and Archie Miller had quite the resume to be IUs coach. How'd that work out?

Indiana is different. When he says Fife "gets it", he understands what made IU great. He understood the expectations put on players and the commitment it took to be great. The same is required to be the coach. If you think coaching at IU is the same as Marquette, Dayton Texas Tech, etc. you are crazy.

I'm not in the "Has to be an IU guy" camp, but I totally understand where they are coming from. This job is unlike 99% of them. That's why we haven't kept a coach for 20 years.

If Archie gets fired and we can't land a too guy, I'd take Fife over any of the flash in the pans that keep getting pumped up.

It also means he knows what it takes to get on the fans good side and do all the alumni stuff needed to coach at IU.  An IU guy would know the style of play and the type of kids that fits best at IU

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It also means he knows what it takes to get on the fans good side and do all the alumni stuff needed to coach at IU.  An IU guy would know the style of play and the type of kids that fits best at IU

Wait for it....what if, just maybe “IU Style” and “IU Kids” don’t win college basketball games anymore? 

Mind blown....right?

Now, if you don’t want to win games, why get rid of Miller? Crazy, I know...

Now, “IU Kids” in a different style? Ok

Some fans really need to come to reality its 2021.

I’m done with the Fife talk. I’m out. Sorry I prefer to hire the best coach on the bench. Fife is 3rd on his own team. Whatever...I just can’t. I know we are desperate but this IU guy thing is just so overblown. And to use Roy Williams as the reasoning ...he is also the reason you don’t have to hire a former alum...and yet then became the reason you do. Guy is just a great HOF coach....quit trying to compare guys. If fife was the guy whatever but nothing says he merits the job.

47 minutes ago, kennyballs said:

First post. If it came down to Alford or Fife who would you pick?

The only way I’d want either is if we got them on a four year deal with a low buyout and a low salary with lots of performance incentives. I think Alford has the lower floor and lower ceiling. Fife is probably binary. Could be good or really bad. 

7 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Wait for it....what if, just maybe “IU Style” and “IU Kids” don’t win college basketball games anymore? 

Mind blown....right?

One of the best post I’ve seen on this...and one I was too scared to post first because of backlash. Great point.

10 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Mind blown....right?

Now, “IU Kids” in a different style? Ok

Some fans really need to come to reality its 2021.

Well doing the opposite way hasn't worked for 21 years so why not go back to what worked before

Archived