Potential replacement coaches

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

No. I don’t think I could put Archie back out there now that the fanbase has turned on him. Can’t have a full AH booing him and the team. I’ve put my list of guys out there but I’ll try to sum mine up. Starting with the most desired first in each group and each group broken down by desirability but also by chances.

Dream hires: Stevens, Donavon, Matta, Wright, Bennett

Home run: Drew, Beard, Musselman, Oats, Pearl, Beilein, Altman, Pitino

Solid: Kruger, Moser, W Miller, White, Shaka, Alford

I’d say anything outside these would be a long shot or off the radar.

I’d add Mack and leave off Pearl. I’d also drop Alford .

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, dgambill said:

No. I don’t think I could put Archie back out there now that the fanbase has turned on him. Can’t have a full AH booing him and the team. I’ve put my list of guys out there but I’ll try to sum mine up. Starting with the most desired first in each group and each group broken down by desirability but also by chances.

Dream hires: Stevens, Donavon, Matta, Wright, Bennett

Home run: Drew, Beard, Musselman, Oats, Pearl, Beilein, Altman, Pitino

Solid: Kruger, Moser, W Miller, White, Shaka, Alford

I’d say anything outside these would be a long shot or off the radar.

Few?

IU Scott?  I have been reading any and everything I can find regarding the happenings in Btown.  

Cannot currently find and thus coming to you. You wrote something like “saw on ESPN re: Lon Kruger and Tubby Smith...

But I only saw your reply, not what preceded.  Was the context those two coaches have expressed interest should opening become reality?  Thx.

3 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

IU Scott?  I have been reading any and everything I can find regarding the happenings in Btown.  

Cannot currently find and thus coming to you. You wrote something like “saw on ESPN re: Lon Kruger and Tubby Smith...

But I only saw your reply, not what preceded.  Was the context those two coaches have expressed interest should opening become reality?  Thx.

Think it was about coaches taking multiple teams to the ncaa or something similar. nothing about them being potential candidates for IU 

4 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Believe the context was they had taken 5 programs to the NCAA tourney 

13 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

It’s so frustrating... And continues to show IU gets the pieces... As for the development... Yikes

Here's the challenging part. IU would have benefitted greatly from having someone like Jake Forrester as a junior on the roster. How much better is our interior depth with Forrester and a healthy Brunk? Forrester averaged 9ppg and 6rpg for Temple this year. 

The good programs have that kind of depth.

But I'm sure a big reason Forrester left was playing time. He started all 16 games for Temple this year. So, it seems like he was never going to stay at IU to backup Race Thompson. Or, would Race Thompson have stayed to backup Forrester? Probably not. 

How can these other schools get these guys to stay and be backups? Maybe it's culture and winning, but Archie was only in year two when Forrester left. 

18 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

It’s so frustrating... And continues to show IU gets the pieces... As for the development... Yikes

The state of the program is really embarrassing....there is nothing to be excited about, nothing to look forward to,no hot recruiting news...nothing..🤷‍♂️...and its March!!

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Here's the challenging part. IU would have benefitted greatly from having someone like Jake Forrester as a junior on the roster. How much better is our interior depth with Forrester and a healthy Brunk? Forrester averaged 9ppg and 6rpg for Temple this year. 

But I'm sure a big reason Forrester left was playing time. He started all 16 games for Temple this year. So, it seems like he was never going to stay at IU to backup Race Thompson. Or, would Race Thompson have stayed to backup Forrester? Probably not. 

How can these other schools get these guys to stay and be backups? Maybe it's culture and winning, but Archie was only in year two when Forrester left. 

Here is a question. You don't think they would stay here and come off the bench, then why would they stay at other programs and come off the bench? If you have a player that is reluctant to play a role your program is only going to be as good as that player. And most of the time thats not very good. I think it all goes back to leadership. First and foremost I would not recruit the kind of kid that would not be a role player. Even starters have a role. 

Money talks, actually it screams.  It seems like something is different this time, maybe fans/alums/boosters, you know the ones who buy tickets and give money to support the program are screaming way more and louder than in the past.  Maybe it is the psychological stress of the pandemic, but I think the patience and hope about returning to relevance has run its course.  Many of us questioned the choices for our last four coaches, but held out hope that success was just around the corner. Heck, people here have said they miss watching Crean's first year because those players gave it their all, but I think we enjoyed it because we thought better days were upon us.  Archie's failure, and the failure of administration, has burst our collective bubble.  I think IU is really going to feel the drying up of money in their attempt to play by rules that most schools don't play by.  When money stops coming in, significant change follows.  In the end I think we all have started to acknowledge that this is not just fixed by the next coach.  This acknowledgement, whether true or not, is what will lead to major pressure put on IU to commit more to fixing what ails us. 

All kinds of ways to pay players above board. How much would a prominent business owner and alumn pay a guy to come in a have a meeting with him every six months? I guess that's between the two parties? coach Knight was very well known in the business community.  

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think the key to that, as bad as I hate saying this, is taking a kid that is borderline B10 material and developing him...

I know I mention Austin Davis a lot, but he red shirted his first year, only played 3 mpg his second and third years, and the last two was a valuable backup to Teske and The Big Kid...and that was through a coaching change...

Those that grouse about our open scholarships have a point possibly...

But then the name Tim Priller comes to mind as well...

Fine balance to walk between top shelf talent, role players, and players in development, but we have to find it if we're to be successful...

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the key to that, as bad as I hate saying this, is taking a kid that is borderline B10 material and developing him...

I know I mention Austin Davis a lot, but he red shirted his first year, only played 3 mpg his second and third years, and the last two was a valuable backup to Take and The Big Kid...and that was through a coaching change...

Those that grouse about our open scholarships have a point possibly...

But then the name Tim Priller comes to mind as well...

Fine balance to walk between top shelf talent, role players, and players in development, but we have to find it if we're to be successful...

Michigan seems like a good example. They have both Brandon Johns and Austin Davis as bigs off the bench. Seems similar to Jake Forrester and Joey Brunk. 

Johns was a top 70 recruit, rated higher in the 2018 class than Jake Forrester, yet was willing to stay as a bench player even as he got recruited over. Maybe he still does transfer as a grad transfer for 1 year of more playing time, but so far he's given Michigan three years of good bench play. Why was Forrester only willing to give IU 1 year?

Every program is going to have transfers, that's a given in 2021. But, how do you keep talented kids in a program? I'd guess it comes down to culture, development and winning. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Michigan seems like a good example. They have both Brandon Johns and Austin Davis as bigs off the bench. Seems similar to Jake Forrester and Joey Brunk. 

Johns was a top 70 recruit, rated higher in the 2018 class than Jake Forrester, yet was willing to stay as a bench player even as he got recruited over. Maybe he still does transfer as a grad transfer for 1 year of more playing time, but so far he's given Michigan three years of good bench play. Why was Forrester only willing to give IU 1 year?

Every program is going to have transfers, that's a given in 2021. But, how do you keep talented kids in a program? I'd guess it comes down to culture, development and winning. 

I don't think Jake and Arch were a good fit personality wise.  Arch is serious,  Jake seemed more of a joking type personality to him. In my opinion it didn't have much to do with B ball, regarding his departure 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It is tempting. Arguably the best coach in the country is just sitting there for the taking and probably on the cheap...

If we offered and he came, he wouldn’t come here unless he wanted to make one more push for a Title. So I’d assume he would be here for at least 4-5 more years.

Archived