Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

I just hate the idea of an IU guy in general.  You want the best.  No IU guy with experience fits those parameters. So if we go IU guy, take a chance on someone who has great experiences and has potential...like Fife. No other IU guy with experience has the ceiling we want.  Frank could be a wild card but he has no college experience.  Different world.  

I don't disagree with your reasoning at all.  I wouldn't have Fife at the top of my list, but I absolutely would interview him and give him a chance to "wow me" if I were AD.

1 minute ago, Andy06 said:

I don't disagree with your reasoning at all.  I wouldn't have Fife at the top of my list, but I absolutely would interview him and give him a chance to "wow me" if I were AD.

I don’t have him at the top of my list but if it has to be an IU guy, he would be number one. 

Just passing on info I hear.  One of my biggest clients an IU grad and basketball lover, has a relative that played for RMK. told me he has heard that IU will attempt to make Stevens the highest paid coach in all of sports. I don't buy it but passing it on so if by chance it's true and he accepts i could gloat. I don't see this as accurate info

3 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I don't know. IU job is a bit too early for Fife in his career, but I can't deny that he's kinda growing on me. 

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just passing on info I hear.  One of my biggest clients an IU grad and basketball lover, has a relative that played for RMK. told me he has heard that IU will attempt to make Stevens the highest paid coach in all of sports. I don't buy it but passing it on so if by chance it's true and he accepts i could gloat. I don't see this as accurate info

In all of sports? Or maybe just college basketball or all basketball?

Bill Belichick makes like $20 million per year. I don't see IU paying anywhere close to that. Maybe $10 million but that would still be surprising.

I know your info is just what you heard and you don't believe it yourself, just trying to make sure I'm understanding.

If he is a possibility I will throw in one weeks of my unemployment check LOL!

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said I will back who they hire until they prove they are not right for the job.  I really would like one of these 4 who would be realistic.

Beilein

Drew

Beard

Matta- if healthy

Do you like Musselman?  I just started getting intrigued...

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

JMV really wants Fife to get the job. 

Getting a lot of noise that CAM has been told and announcement coming pretty quickly after selection Sunday. Take it for what's it worth. 

Fife scare me to death.  could be the guy!  could be the next Archie.  

Billy?  Always appreciate your posts.  And you are serving what I want to hear.  Sounds too good to be true, but I would be ecstatic.  

2 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Do you like Musselman?  I just started getting intrigued...

Not really, I would have to see how well he can recruit top high school players.  He has built his teams on transfers and don't think you can do that at IU.  I don't mind a couple on the team but it is hard to sustain success only on transfers.

Fife is way too risky for how important this hire is.  As many have said, if not for being an IU grad, he wouldn't be considered.  So why is an IU grad such an important thing.  Bring back the old culture?  It's just not the same ayway.  We live in a much different time.  

For people who like Pitino as the next coach his team is playing on ESPN News in their championship game.  I saw that Iona was a 9 seed in their conference but it has to do with them only playing 9 conference games they are 6-3 in the conference and playing Niagara who is the 5 seed with a 7-8 conference record.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not really, I would have to see how well he can recruit top high school players.  He has built his teams on transfers and don't think you can do that at IU.  I don't mind a couple on the team but it is hard to sustain success only on transfers.

Fair.    Well - if this is an off-season to hit transfers .... batter up!

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

i don't know how i feel about this one, but if he brought Smart as an asst. that would be pretty nice.  i am not into the IU guy thing at all and definitely not Smart being the head coach, but an asst. would be a good move.  

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I don't know. IU job is a bit too early for Fife in his career, but I can't deny that he's kinda growing on me. 

Things about Fife

- Guy once bit an opposing players ear to win a battle for the ball.

-Went to IU when he could of gone anywhere, including where his brother played.

-Was the youngest Head Coach in Division 1 - and, his times were very fundamental

-He was adaptive and self aware enough to know he needed to learn more- so he became an assistant for an all time great coach.

-Worked his way up to lead assistant and is also a lead recruiter 

-Is crazy enough to spend 4 hrs with Hoosierhysterics for podcast. He loves attention and the spotlight.

-Was basically the leader of the last final 4 team at IU and navigated turmoil through his years at IU.

-Loves IU , loves IU

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thanks for sharing! While I doubt the legitimacy of the info, I really hope this is the mentality of IU admin in their next search. 

Archived