'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

10 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Has anyone mentioned the Bruce pearl 2 game suspension and the schools 4 year probation? Not sure the exact details of the probation. Too busy to look into it

The NCAA also fined Auburn $5,000 plus 3% of its men's basketball program budget, added the loss of two scholarships during the probation (the Tigers had already self-imposed a loss of one) and imposed other recruiting restrictions.

Slap on the wrist...

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You don't think last years Gonzaga or Baylor team could compete with great teams from the past?

It's pretty early to say who is going to actually be great this year when comparing teams to how they were playing in the tournament in the 80s and 90s, but I think there are plenty of recent examples of teams that could hold their own with those teams. 

No, not even close

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

It's an interesting question. For the sake of discussion, let's take style of play and access to strength and conditioning between the 80's/90's and today out of it. 

I was all ready to reply in defense of Scott on this one, but then I actually went back and looked at the list of champions form the last 30-40 years. I do think there was a heyday from 1990-92. IMO, those UNLV and Duke teams are considerably better than just about any team from the last decade or so. I also think teams like the Jordan UNC teams and the Ewing Georgetown team, etc., are all-time great teams. 

I also think last year was a pretty down year for college basketball. I don't think that Baylor team holds up. 

With all of that said, I don't think there is anything all that special about teams like the '93 UNC team, the '88 Kansas team, the '95 UCLA team, or gasp, even the '87 Indiana team. There are better teams than those from 2000-present. 

The answer IMO is that it's a mixed bag and closer than what some of the older posters probably think, but generally I'd lean toward the more experienced teams from when even NBA players stayed 3-4 years. 

UM in 89 had far superior talent then teams today.  I also think the Arkansas teams in the 90's were a lot more talented.

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

87 maybe, and 81 at the first of that year, but in the tournament that team won by an average of 23 ppg, and their closest call was in the NC game by 13 points against a team that had Al Wood, James Worthy, and Sam Perkins...

That UK team would have lost by at least 15 to our 81 team.  That Maryland team we beat by 35 had two first round draft picks.  That UNC team had Perkins, Worthy and Al Wood who was there best player that year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Meh. Some of the recent UNC teams, Nova teams, 2012 UK and the Florida teams could play with any of those teams. 

UM had 4 1st round picks in Rice, Robinson, Mills and Caught.

For the people always bring up how much more athletic today's kids are didn't care players from the 70's-90's.  You act like everyone was a slow big white guy who ran out the picket fence. The play and pace was faster then than it is now. Go watch the dunk contest with guys like Jordan and Wilkins and Larry Nance.  Even earlier you had David Thompson and Dr. J so those players were as athletic than any player today.

Like I said yesterday the main difference is th great players don't stay more than han a year.  If all of the great players today stayed 3 or 4 years then the game would be as good as it was back then.  Just look at us this year if Romeo was still on the team.  How different would 13-14 season would have been if Cody and Victor would have stayed.

20 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Not as a per player basis… no

generally speaking the overall athlete today is better than they were 30 years ago… yes

Go watch some of the players back in the day and you will see plenty of great athletes.  They do a lot more weight training so I give you that but just jumping ability there were great athletes back then.

24 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Not as a per player basis… no

generally speaking the overall athlete today is better than they were 30 years ago… yes

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Go watch some of the players back in the day and you will see plenty of great athletes.  They do a lot more weight training so I give you that but just jumping ability there were great athletes back then.

Reread the bold. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Meh. Some of the recent UNC teams, Nova teams, 2012 UK and the Florida teams could play with any of those teams. 

Lots of talent, no doubt. The '81 IU team was probably closer to today's teams in terms of how it was put together. Great athleticism and one of the best point guards of all time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Memphis blows a 14 pt halftime lead and loses at home to Murray State 74-72.  DePaul wins in Louisville 62-55 in front of 13,127 at Yum Center (capacity 22,000)

DePaul shot 36% overall, was 6-28 (21%) on threes, and 8-15 on FTs and won by 7 on the road. LVille shooting was equally bad, but they only shot three FTs. Rebounds and TOs were basically even.

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

Memphis blows a 14 pt halftime lead and loses at home to Murray State 74-72.  DePaul wins in Louisville 62-55 in front of 13,127 at Yum Center (capacity 22,000)

With the talent he has brought there and to keep underperforming the seat has to be starting to get a little hot for Penny.

I am kind of surprised the Yum Center was that empty, their fans usually pack it.