'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know I talked a lot about how college basketball is not lime it use to be.  I think just looking at the talent on Purdue should show you this. Purdue is ranked #1 and is a good team but if you look at the talent level of the top teams back in the 80's and 90's PU talent level is not close.

Agree. A lot of those top teams had 2 or 3 NBA players. Maybe Ivey at Purdue will get drafted. Purdue just has size that most college teams can’t match. 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agree. A lot of those top teams had 2 or 3 NBA players. Maybe Ivey at Purdue will get drafted. Purdue just has size that most college teams can’t match. 

To me it goes back to kids leaving early and now the transfers.  Teams are not allowed to grow as a team over time

9 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

I’ve watching Iowa St play a few times this season and they look pretty impressive. Hard to believe they went 2-22 last season.

Shows what the portal can do for a team...Bringing in good, experienced guards like Gabe Kalscheur (Minnesota) and Izaiah Brockington (Penn St) has helped them a lot...

What in the hell got into Brockington? Guy was a 12 ppg 28% from 3 guy for Penn State last year, now he's at 17 ppg and shooting 48% from 3...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me it goes back to kids leaving early and now the transfers.  Teams are not allowed to grow as a team over time

You don't think last years Gonzaga or Baylor team could compete with great teams from the past?

It's pretty early to say who is going to actually be great this year when comparing teams to how they were playing in the tournament in the 80s and 90s, but I think there are plenty of recent examples of teams that could hold their own with those teams. 

35 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You don't think last years Gonzaga or Baylor team could compete with great teams from the past?

It's pretty early to say who is going to actually be great this year when comparing teams to how they were playing in the tournament in the 80s and 90s, but I think there are plenty of recent examples of teams that could hold their own with those teams. 

It's an interesting question. For the sake of discussion, let's take style of play and access to strength and conditioning between the 80's/90's and today out of it. 

I was all ready to reply in defense of Scott on this one, but then I actually went back and looked at the list of champions form the last 30-40 years. I do think there was a heyday from 1990-92. IMO, those UNLV and Duke teams are considerably better than just about any team from the last decade or so. I also think teams like the Jordan UNC teams and the Ewing Georgetown team, etc., are all-time great teams. 

I also think last year was a pretty down year for college basketball. I don't think that Baylor team holds up. 

With all of that said, I don't think there is anything all that special about teams like the '93 UNC team, the '88 Kansas team, the '95 UCLA team, or gasp, even the '87 Indiana team. There are better teams than those from 2000-present. 

The answer IMO is that it's a mixed bag and closer than what some of the older posters probably think, but generally I'd lean toward the more experienced teams from when even NBA players stayed 3-4 years. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's an interesting question. For the sake of discussion, let's take style of play and access to strength and conditioning between the 80's/90's and today out of it. 

I was all ready to reply in defense of Scott on this one, but then I actually went back and looked at the list of champions form the last 30-40 years. I do think there was a heyday from 1990-92. IMO, those UNLV and Duke teams are considerably better than just about any team from the last decade or so. I also think teams like the Jordan UNC teams and the Ewing Georgetown team, etc., are all-time great teams. 

I also think last year was a pretty down year for college basketball. I don't think that Baylor team holds up. 

With all of that said, I don't think there is anything all that special about teams like the '93 UNC team, the '88 Kansas team, the '95 UCLA team, or gasp, even the '87 Indiana team. There are better teams than those from 2000-present. 

The answer IMO is that it's a mixed bag and closer than what some of the older posters probably think, but generally I'd lean toward the more experienced teams from when even NBA players stayed 3-4 years. 

That's a fair response. Maybe Baylor doesn't hold up historically, but other recent teams can. The 2012 Kentucky team could probably have beaten the '81 or '87 IU National Champion teams, for example. 

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I have often thought about this.  And i think the biggest thing comes down to what rules are being applied?  Before the 3 point game?  Physicality of the game today vs the 80's?  Shot clock?  The talent is as good today as it was then.  Generational players come and go and if you're good, well you're good.  Average age of the teams might play a role in it from older team to today team.  Lack of AAU and year round play could come into it.  Lots of things to think about.  

Sorry that didn't really follow a path but just some random thoughts.  But i do think Phyicality and how the game is called was much different in say 81 vs 2021.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's a fair response. Maybe Baylor doesn't hold up historically, but other recent teams can. The 2012 Kentucky team could probably have beaten the '81 or '87 IU National Champion teams, for example. 

87 maybe, and 81 at the first of that year, but in the tournament that team won by an average of 23 ppg, and their closest call was in the NC game by 13 points against a team that had Al Wood, James Worthy, and Sam Perkins...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Can you imagine todays bigs playing against guys like Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, Robinson or Olajuwon with how physicals and talented those guys were.  Elbows, hooks and holds, undercuts and just plain banging bodies down below.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Can you imagine todays bigs playing against guys like Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, Robinson or Olajuwon with how physicals and talented those guys were.  Elbows, hooks and holds, undercuts and just plain banging bodies down below.

Those guys would eat today's bigs alive down low, no doubt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The rule changes are over stated in my opinion.  Sure, when guys had enough and retaliated, they gave us all time highlights of cheap shots and hard fouls.  The ball movement was masterful back then.  I'll just say its not as far off as some would think.  I would probably take the old teams over the new teams 3 out of 4 times because of experience, chemistry, age, ball movement.  One recent team that I believe could play with anyone was one of the Villanova teams.  The ball movement and shooting was Warriors lite.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Going back even a little further, all of the UCLA teams that won 10 of 12 NCs from 64-75 had not only multiple pros, but most had multiple all-stars and some multiple HoFers...

Of course, some would say that they were "pros" the whole time they were in Westwood... ;) 

Edited by IUFLA

56 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree, and the 2012 UK team was one that I had in mind. While they were really young, Anthony Davis was an absolute beast. 

I think the Florida teams hold up, even though they weren't overly flashy, they had 2 stud NBA players (Horford and Noah) and another longtime NBA player (Corey Brewer), mixed with the experience of teams from the 80's and 90's since those guys stayed 3 years. I'd agree on the Villanova team, especially the 2nd one, as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

It's the NCAA March Madness. Best team doesn't always win it every year...and for certain there are some down years no doubt. I mean the UK team that lost to Wisconsin could have competed against some of those 80's-90's easily....stuff happens. Like you there are some recent winners that are more than capable of holding their own or beating those teams in the past....and some that would not have even made it to the final four in some years...kind of like the NBA...sometimes teams come along and build something great...and we should recognize greatness when that happens because not every champion is of the same caliber. To me Baylor was seen as impressive because they simply played a very very impressive championship game....but no way would I qualify them as an all-time great team.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree, and the 2012 UK team was one that I had in mind. While they were really young, Anthony Davis was an absolute beast. 

I think the Florida teams hold up, even though they weren't overly flashy, they had 2 stud NBA players (Horford and Noah) and another longtime NBA player (Corey Brewer), mixed with the experience of teams from the 80's and 90's since those guys stayed 3 years. I'd agree on the Villanova team, especially the 2nd one, as well. 

Agreed on those teams. I'd throw in some UNC teams, too. They generally win with more experienced teams with a one and done sprinkled in.