Minnesota Game Thread

5fouls

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I'd say that was a good 5 minute stretch

I’m not a big fan of the hockey line changes but that 5 minutes of rest for our guys might have been a reason for the good 5 minutes when our starters came back in. The Minny guys looked just a little tired,  not as quick to the ball, when our starters returned.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

I’m not a big fan of the hockey line changes but that 5 minutes of rest for our guys might have been a reason for the good 5 minutes when our starters came back in. The Minny guys looked just a little tired,  not as quick to the ball, when our starters returned.

A lot of NBA teams will run 1-2 starters with the second unit and maybe stagger them out to refresh everyone and then down the stretch of a half you’ve got all your starters back in.  

• Like 3

Mike Woodson. Tall man with a presence. Played in the NBA for double digit years.  Smart guy.  Has a way with discipline but sort of in a positive way where you know he loves you.  He knows exactly what skill set you need to succeed in the NBA.  If I am a player, all of that would sincerely resonate with me.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

A lot of NBA teams will run 1-2 starters with the second unit and maybe stagger them out to refresh everyone and then down the stretch of a half you’ve got all your starters back in.  

That works in the NBA because it’s widely adopted by every team and the talent level drop off isn’t significant…not the case here. Id like to see Woody back off that a bit

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

In general I prefer that staggering strategy to the wholesale change we do sometimes. That being said, the hockey line change seemed to work today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

That works in the NBA because it’s widely adopted by every team and the talent level drop off isn’t significant…not the case here. Id like to see Woody back off that a bit

I agree with you. I wasn’t artful explaining it but I was trying to say you could work on identifying a starter or two to work with a backup unit, and then work yourself back to having your first unit together.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

Even though the NBA has more depth they still tend to stagger starters out. With less depth we had all 5 out at once at the 10:00 minute mark.

Aside from that……nice to hit some threes, good D and 2 turnovers is excellent. 

The more you stagger starters among the second unit, the less time you have your 5 best on the floor together.  I like the what we did today.  When it came time to have the starters back in, Rob, who was playing well, stayed on the floor and Parker, who had 2 fouls, was able to stay on the bench.    

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Impressed with Ben Johnson. Just a couple small things, but he's doubling off our point guards forcing them to shoot (not rocket science), but also notice he has Galloway's man picking him up immediately after change of possession so he can't get a full head of steam in transition. 

I was going to post something similar but you beat me. Let’s see how he adjusts to the fact that our point guards are hitting shots.  

I try to tell my friends when they complain, every job in the conference is a big job, and the other schools inevitably will have good coaches and, by definition, B1G talent.  Minnesota is a very good school (very good rankings) and their state produces a stealthy amount of talent.  I believe Holmgren and Suggs are from there and Wisconsin’s annoying teams often have Minnesota talent.  They have potential with the right coach.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno