OSU Post Game Thread

Huntnfreak

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like that Woodson is a gentleman.  He knows the game.  But this isn't Atlanta where you could normalize a 20 and 62 record.  Urgency.  

Do you really think he is approaching this opportunity that way?  I'm not calling you out, I am just really curious if that is how you perceive his approach.  Personally I think CMW is the closest thing we've had to Knight since Knight himself.  He may not be the mastermind (evil genius, mad scientist) that Knight was, but he seems to approach it team first and with more decorum.  No coach we had since Knight would've suspended five players prior to a winnable game...for any reason.  I said before, CMW is building something, and truth be told, foundations are sometimes ugly and always nothing spectacular to look at, but all of the best buildings have them.  After the NW game, I came to the realization that this season is more about the future of IU basketball than it is this season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Do you really think he is approaching this opportunity that way?  I'm not calling you out, I am just really curious if that is how you perceive his approach.  Personally I think CMW is the closest thing we've had to Knight since Knight himself.  He may not be the mastermind (evil genius, mad scientist) that Knight was, but he seems to approach it team first and with more decorum.  No coach we had since Knight would've suspended five players prior to a winnable game...for any reason.  I said before, CMW is building something, and truth be told, foundations are sometimes ugly and always nothing spectacular to look at, but all of the best buildings have them.  After the NW game, I came to the realization that this season is more about the future of IU basketball than it is this season.

Your point is well taken.  I am not deserting Woodson yet and am pulling for him.  I agreed with the suspension.  If it costs the team an NCAA bid, which it might, it would serve those kids right as far as I am concerned.  It doesn't make them bad kids, but it's a strong lesson to learn.  And you'd have to feel bad for the kids who didn't get suspended and got hurt by it.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I hope you are right in that better days are ahead.  I hope you are wrong on the timeline.  Another 2 years to just get to the tournament is not something I am really interested in.

One thing though, the sentiments you are sharing right now have been shared repeatedly for the past 20 years.  Help is always on the way, a coach just needs time, etc.  And each time that has ended in failure.  This program is slowly strangling my optimism to death.

I know we are all upset with last night's game and the last 5 years.  For me I have never understood giving up on the team or the program when things goes wrong. I will still watch every game unless something comes up with family or work. For me my favorite time of the year is college basketball season which is only 5 months. So I rather watch a bad IU game over no game at all. Once One Shining Moment is over I know it will be 7 months until the next game.  Also with IU, I feel the if I give up and stop watching and stop being a fan, I have no right to come back when they start winning.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We have had 6 coaches, 6 AD' and now on our 4th president so how can you blame the administration.  I know that is your fall back on everything wrong with IU.  To me we ad fans need to take a little bit of the fault since we have been the one constant these 20 years.

Yeah, because they have listened to me on who to hire, who to recruit, and how to run the game.  No, this is not the fans, it is several bad hires in a row and a dysfunctional administration at IU.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

I really think the program is dead. It's going to take a big name coach to resurrect it. We came close but missed this last time around. 

Big name coaches don't change jobs often unless going back to school they went to.  If you are waiting for a big name coach you will probably be waiting for a long time.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know we are all upset with lady night's game and the last 5 years.  For me I have never understood giving up on the team or the program when things goes wrong. I will still eat h every game unless something comes up with family or work. For me my favorite time of the year is college basketball season which is only 5 months. So I rather watch a bad IU game over no game at all. Once One Shining Moment is over I know it will be 7 months until the next game.  Also with IU, I feel the if I give up and stop watching and stop being a fan, I have no right to come back when they start winning.

And that is fine for you.  Life is too short to waste on things that don't make us happy.  Watching the games live when you know 1 out of every 2 or 3 the past few years is going to be a loss just is not much fun for me anymore.

I am someone who just is not that interested in college basketball outside of IU's place in it.  The game is not nearly as exciting as it used to be so if I don't have a rooting interest, I just don't care as much.

If we ever get back to doing well again, maybe my interest will increase back to what it was.  And I have no problem with walking away and coming back when it suits me.  ;) Not like I am turning my back on God, it's just a game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great post.  I said something similar last night.  I went totally ape ship that we let Branham come down everytime off the dribble.  We left poor Parker Stewart on him.  Our offense has devolved into tossing it into Trayce even if the whole defense is circling him like sharks.  I was already upset that we let Johnny Davis leave flame marks all over Stewart last game.  I didn't make a big deal of it, but when we hired an NBA coach, I expected him to see those matchup problems ON THE FLY and fix them.

Even accepting arguendo that Woodson is learning the league--which i do not accept--what on earth are Fife and Matta doing?  We are supposed to have an all star coaching staff.  

Billingsley and I saw Coach Knight.  This would never happen.   He would see that and not tolerate a breakdown like that.   And we would never lose five in a row either.  

This was not good.  I like that Woodson is a gentleman.  He knows the game.  But this isn't Atlanta where you could normalize a 20 and 62 record.  Urgency.  

This year is a free pass but next year, the drum beats will start.  I hope he gets that.  He can pretend that it doesn't matter.  He and Buckner and Kitchel and Dakich and Hillman can all high five each other about having an IU guy.  

But ask Crean and Archie if you can survive having lost the fans.

I get it but with injuries, who are we suggesting come in a guard the guy?  Leal?  Kopp?  

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, because they have listened to me on who to hire, who to recruit, and how to run the game.  No, this is not the fans, it is several bad hires in a row and a dysfunctional administration at IU.

I am not blaming the fans for the on court stuff but can effect on what coaches would be interested in the job.

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I get it but with injuries, who are we suggesting come in a guard the guy?  Leal?  Kopp?  

I think Billingsley laid out some tactics.  Denying him the ball, double teaming him and protecting the basket (make them beat you from deep range).  Not Stewart one on one.  I also think Geronimo would have done 100X better. 

You just can't let a guy make shot after shot with no adjustment.  If you're slowly dying, you have to try something else.  Holtzmann saw we didn't change at all against Wisconsin.  It was embarrassing watching them run the same play over and over.  I was absolutely stunned that a guy like Fife, who knows defense and this conference, didn't make his voice heard.  It was fairly unbelievable.  If Fife is not being heard, that would be very concerning.  If there is a problem there, it needs to be corrected before it becomes irreparable.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

29 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And that is fine for you.  Life is too short to waste on things that don't make us happy.  Watching the games live when you know 1 out of every 2 or 3 the past few years is going to be a loss just is not much fun for me anymore.

I am someone who just is not that interested in college basketball outside of IU's place in it.  The game is not nearly as exciting as it used to be so if I don't have a rooting interest, I just don't care as much.

If we ever get back to doing well again, maybe my interest will increase back to what it was.  And I have no problem with walking away and coming back when it suits me.  ;) Not like I am turning my back on God, it's just a game.

I just don't let an outcome of the game ruin my mood like I use to.  Like you said it is just a game and nothing that should make one so upset.  I agree that the college game is not as good or exciting ad it use to be but it is still better than most of the things on TV.  Living in central Indiana during winter there is not much else to do

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think Billingsley laid out some tactics.  Denying him the ball, double teaming him and protecting the basket (make them beat you from deep range).  Not Stewart one on one.  I also think Geronimo would have done 100X better. 

You just can't let a guy make shot after shot with no adjustment.  If you're slowly dying, you have to try something else.  

They did that in OT and Wheeler hit the 3 to put them up 70-67

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You just can't let a guy make shot after shot with no adjustment.  If you're slowly dying, you have to try something else.  

I don't think Geronimo would done well on Branham because he seems to have trouble guarding the dribble.  He is more of a match up with Liddell.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Pearl is worse than Boeheim or Izzo from a moral perspective? How? 

I didn't say anything about morally. If morals were important, Mark Turgeon and Tom Crean would be the best coaches in the country. I'm talking about a school that took a chance on a coach, who then broke the rules (again) causing the program to be completely decimated, isn't going to turn around and hire someone that has the same issues or worse. It has nothing to do with IU not wanting to hire a big name coach, it's just a really bad idea, PR-wise, logic-wise, however you want to look at it. 

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You just can't let a guy make shot after shot with no adjustment.  If you're slowly dying, you have to try something else.  Holtzmann saw we didn't change at all against Wisconsin.  It was embarrassing watching them run the same play over and over.  I was absolutely stunned that a guy like Fife, who knows defense and this conference, didn't make his voice heard.  It was fairly unbelievable.  If Fife is not being heard, that would be very concerning.  If there is a problem there, it needs to be corrected before it becomes irreparable.  

Daddgum man, we held them to 53 in regulation. Had 49 with 1min to go in the game. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think Geronimo would done well on Branham because he seems to have trouble guarding the dribble.  He is more of a match up with Liddell.

Woodson agrees with you.  

But you cannot just let the same play beat you over and over.  I feel like Geronimo is better moving his feet defensively this year.  He has guarded on the perimeter more this year.  He has a motor and he is physical.  Besides, the test is can he do it better than Stewart.  I say yes.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I only watched the last 5 minutes plus ot.  I saw the breakdown.  I also saw a kick out three when help came.  

@Billingsley99 also said sometimes its about johnnies and Joe's.  We had 2 horses in the stable.  Geronimo isn't OG.  He isn't close and the comparisons coming from the board are over the top and wishful thinking.  He can't guard lightening bolts.  Rob and X are the only ones capable on this team.  

Im not arguing.  Probably stating the obvious.  We need help.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Daddgum man, we held them to 53 in regulation. Had 49 with 1min to go in the game. 

Overall, our defense is outstanding.  I am not trying to be annoying.  But, in situational basketball, in crunch time, the other team is running wings off the bounce.  We just throw Stewart on them and hope for the best.  It didn't work last game and we played the same strategy the next game and OSU counted on it.  I just don't like that strategy and I feel like it cost us down the stretch twice.  It's how I saw the game.  I respect the hell out of you, but it really bothered me that we didn't change it up.  

I am not bailing on Woodson.  But that doesn't mean I agree with everything we do.  i am not a coach and I know you are so I obviously respect that.  But if I were a coach, I wouldn't let the same play beat me over and over.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't let an outcome of the game ruin my mood like I use to.  Like you said it is just a game and nothing that should make one so upset.  I agree that the college game is not as good or exciting ad it use to be but it is still better than most of the things on TV.  Living in central Indiana during winter there is not much else to do

It doesn't ruin my mood.  It just is not fun so putting two hours into something that isn't fun when I am surrounded by other forms of entertainment just seems like a waste.

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I only watched the last 5 minutes plus ot.  I saw the breakdown.  I also saw a kick out three when help came.  

@Billingsley99 also said sometimes its about johnnies and Joe's.  We had 2 horses in the stable.  Geronimo isn't OG.  He isn't close and the comparisons coming from the board are over the top and wishful thinking.  He can't guard lightening bolts.  Rob and X are the only ones capable on this team.  

Im not arguing.  Probably stating the obvious.  We need help.  

I agree.  Hopefully our talent gets there.  Hood-Schifino, if we can get Little...those are big time gets.  Love Cupps and I think people are sleeping on Newton.  

Woody has had a year in the league. Hopefully it will help him with recruiting.  He can potentially identify targets having been through it.  He has recruited well in terms of landing some good players.  More please.

Edited by BobSaccamanno